Team v Gold Coast | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Team v Gold Coast

Totally agree Brodders. There is no way that we go through a pre-season with a plan, train players in certain positions, and then throw it away due to 2 poor quarters of footy (we started and ended the game well enough).

I think your team is pretty much how I expect it to go aswell.

It was always likely to be either brown or Grimes (if fit) that plays opening round. I'm not sure Grimes can play both, I'd personally have Brown playing on the GC so Grimes is cherry ripe for the Carlton game as I think he's needed more for their forward mix but I think Yze will go for Grimes on the GC.

I think Green will play but thats the 1 role thats a bit uncertain, only had 28% TOG%.
Do you think both Brown and Koschitzke will still play.
Collingwood are the benchmark. Don’t think either did enough.

Totally agree Brodders. There is no way that we go through a pre-season with a plan, train players in certain positions, and then throw it away due to 2 poor quarters of footy (we started and ended the game well enough).

I think your team is pretty much how I expect it to go aswell.

It was always likely to be either brown or Grimes (if fit) that plays opening round. I'm not sure Grimes can play both, I'd personally have Brown playing on the GC so Grimes is cherry ripe for the Carlton game as I think he's needed more for their forward mix but I think Yze will go for Grimes on the GC.

I think Green will play but thats the 1 role thats a bit uncertain, only had 28% TOG%.
Someone mentioned maybe Grimes and Gibcus swap between rd 0 and 1 so neither play the short break. That is possibly a good option.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think both Brown and Koschitzke will still play.
Collingwood are the benchmark. Don’t think either did enough.

Kosi will play, I'm certain of that. You don't throw out the whole pre-season because of 1 game. The pre-season seems to show us that we want to play with 2 kfs and 2 rucks, and until Lynch is back, Kosi is 1 of those 2 kfs. The rucks will be Naismith and either Nank or Samson depending on if Nank has recovered from the foot injury.

I'm not sure Brown would play. I'd play him as I want (and think he can) Gibcus to play every week, Grimes I'm not sure can back up that 5 day break so I'd play Brown instead of him, but I think Yze will pick Grimes as the 7th defender.

Reactions: 2 users
Someone mentioned maybe Grimes and Gibcus swap between rd 0 and 1 so neither play the short break. That is possibly a good option.

Possible which might mean Brown plays both games, personally I think Gibcus can play both (we have a decent break after Round 1) but I'd rest grimes for GC and play Brown and then bring Grimes for Round 2. Carltons forward line is more potent than the Suns IMO.

Ross, Green, Lefau and Miller all had less than 30% time on ground v Collingwood.

That probably suggests the pecking order and emergencies for next week.

Old blokes being eased in Grimes and Prestia only 55% tog.
Ryan 58%.

Everyone else had over 68%.

Ross will probably replace Graham in the 22, Nank to replace Ryan.

The sub to come from Green, Lefau or maybe Cumberland.

B Grimes Young Gibcus
HB Short Flossy Brown
C Ross Prestia D. Rioli
HF Baker Bolton Taranto
F Broad Balta Cumberland
R Naismith Dow Martin
IC Pickett Hopper McAuliffe Nank/Kosi

Sub Lefau

Reactions: 3 users
B Grimes Young Gibcus
HB Short Flossy Brown
C Ross Prestia D. Rioli
HF Baker Bolton Taranto
F Broad Balta Cumberland
R Naismith Dow Martin
IC Pickett Hopper McAuliffe Nank/Kosi

Sub Lefau

Look Out - Lamby's back!!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I suspect Yze will go for something like the below, however IMO it's not the right balance and the midfield and fwd line is too slow.

vlastuin....young....broad
short....gibcus....rioli
pickett....taranto....mcintosh
baker....balta....campbell
bolton...kosi...martin
naismith....dow....hopper
grimes....nank....ross...prestia

Reactions: 5 users
I suspect Yze will go for something like the below, however IMO it's not the right balance and the midfield and fwd line is too slow.

short....gibcus....rioli
bolton...kosi...martin
yeah, thats probably our best 22 available.
and yeah, the balance probably isnt quite right.

Reactions: 1 users
yeah, thats probably our best 22 available.
and yeah, the balance probably isnt quite right.
The balance isn’t quite right. You can say that again. McIntosh and Koschitzke are not the answer.
Why not go for players who play with a bit of flair rather than two who have shown nothing or close to, this pre season.
GC already look like a win.
Better to try players who can take confidence before games against Carlton and Port Adelaide, rather than two who are not playing well.

Last edited:

short....gibcus....rioli
bolton...kosi...martin
I think that's pretty close. I'm not sure Nank will be fit, so I reckon they bring Ryan or Miller in. Maybe Green as sub.

What's the bet, next year AFL to play Round 0 games in Las Vegas, they seem to copy NRL even if it is a *smile* idea.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Feels like sacrilege but despite being solid last time out, I'm not sure Grimey is in my team now with Gibcus looking ready to play.
Broad & Vlastuin squeeze him out & rather get some more leg speed or midfield strength on the bench like Clarke, Green or McAuliffe.

Reactions: 3 users
Feels like sacrilege but despite being solid last time out, I'm not sure Grimey is in my team now with Gibcus looking ready to play.
Broad & Vlastuin squeeze him out & rather get some more leg speed or midfield strength on the bench like Clarke, Green or McAuliffe.
Agree. Just not on Clarke, hasn't done anything worth the promo imo.

Green and McAuliffe though, hells to the yeah! Get 'em in and into the midfield!

Reactions: 1 user
Will they play Ryan if Nank doesn’t get up
or go balta as the second ruck option
I reckon we will go at 4 talls- rucks and KPFs.
So Balta, Kosi, Naismith and Nank/Ryan for the praccie game that counts for 4 points.

When Lynch is fit it will come down to Kosi/Naismith/Ryan for the last spot.