Team vs Carlton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Team vs Carlton

Oh look of course not, at least that game, those players.

But it's jut a lot seems to be expected of Pickett from what you read here, and it can seem rather overblown at this point, as if Stacks are falling from trees all of a sudden. If Pickett turns out to be fantastic, and it was some remarks from Kelly (Geelong) which made me pay a bit of attention, then great, absolutely. But he's hardly had a toe in the water yet.

Plus Carlton aren't as bad as they've been for years, and it is not a game we'd care to drop due to carelessness, complacency or whatever.

That's all.

I agree possibly too much to expect from Pickett but he is 27yo not 19. He was drafted for immediate impact. I'd personally prefer he played a couple more VFL games but with Cotchin and Stack out and having played quite well in his first hit out I just don't think there's anything to lose. I think there's more to lose giving Butler another game. There's only 3 games to go. Now's the perfect time to see if he has the potential to play finals. If he doesn't perform at least we know.

Coaches had no issues playing Stack in round 3 and that came out of nowhere and was a shock to everybody.... the rest is history. They haven’t picked up Pickett to play in the curtain raisers...at his age they picked him obviously because they thought he could have an immediate impact in this side...I wouldn’t be shocked at all if he comes in.

Reactions: 3 users
Coburg Tiger makes some very good points about the ruck options. I like Chol and think he has a lot to offer but he is flakey.

From my observations from under a poncho at the 'G I'd be dropping Butler, Short and probably Chol. Bring in Nank fo Chol, possibly Markov for Butler and KMac for Short.

Pickett and Ross not ready yet, a couple more VFL games needed and looks like Stack needs another week of rest. To be realistic KMac is warming the seat for Stack.

DS

99% correct.
Although KMac and Stack play totally different positions and aren’t directly competing for the same spot.
KMac’s role seems to be being redefined. They appear to be looking for a more offensive mindset with better kicking skills rather than the previous thought process of closing down space and preventing teams an easy switch to the fat side. That’s the only justification I can think of for keeping KMac out. Other than 2.5 quiet games, he was having a strong season so can only conclude they’re now looking for something different but again he’s not competing with Stack who is surely in the first 10 to get picked each week

Last edited:
Next few weeks -
In Nank stack cotch ross pickett
Out chol butler bellis short caddy ?
Is this our best line up for finals?

Reactions: 1 user
Next few weeks -
In Nank stack cotch ross pickett
Out chol butler bellis short caddy ?
Is this our best line up for finals?
Mc Intosh severely underrated on here. Very unique player with great running power, height and strength who is ideally suited to our style and the G. Want him back in ASAP

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know how anyone is unsure about who Nank comes in for.

Chol is the easiest out of the year. He has been better than I expected as coverage for Nank, but he still sleepwalks around the ground.

The Choldo contraction is more apt than it first appears, because we have been using two people to do one person's job. The problem is, Soldo has been doing 80% of it, while Chol has offered 20.

I reckon a few people are umming and ahhing about the same sameness of playing Soldo and Nank together. Yes, Chol is the outlier, and the point of difference, and I see the argument of him being able to give you more flexibility.

But I look at it a little differently. Nank is a better forward, better ruck, better midfielder, better wingman, and better defender than Chol. Nank is also a better midfielder, better defender, better forward and better wingman than Soldo. However, Soldo is a better pure tap ruckman than Nank.

So there is actual value in including Nank and Soldo, but none in Chol and Nank.

Essentially, if we right now throw Nank in for Chol, and Soldo continues as first ruck that is a pure upgrade on what we've had going for the last few weeks. If we go for Nank/Chol, we're balancing a but of upgrade with a bit of downgrade. Especially against the bigger rucks.

Whether or not Soldo plays from here on may be a bit of horses for courses, but Chol has no position if he is not being 20% of Nank.

It should be either Nank alone from here on out, or possible combinations of Nank/Soldo, Nank/CCJ, or Nank/Balta (probably unlikely).

Chol isn’t covering Nank, Soldo is. Chol is the 2nd ruck/mobile forward - he and Balta are fighting for the same spot.

Personally I’d have a Nank and Balta combination.

Reactions: 1 users
Looks like a wet week coming right up to Sunday. Maybe Nank won't be needed.

Looks like a wet week coming right up to Sunday. Maybe Nank won't be needed.

I'll eat my hat if Nanks isn't selected to play next game. Time to start building our first selected team in preparation for finals.

Butler & Ellis to go out and hopefully Broad as well.Yes I know he’s a wonderful athlete and all that garbage but he’s shithouse when he has possession of the ball.Massive liabilitie.
You obviously watch a different Broad than many others. Sure he makes blues like many others but his upside is much more important to the team balance and defending

I reckon the changes will include bringing in Nanks at possibly Choi's expense and the Baker experiment in defence may change. Some others on the cusp of losing their places in the firsts but I think the selectors will be conservative and do minimal changes. We should remember that the Blues are no longer the weak useless team from the start of the season and we cannot afford a slip up in our top four position.

Chol offers a massive leap.... I think he stays n soldo goes.
Could be a horses for courses selection each week! If we are up against a dominant tap ruckman we play soldo, if a smaller ruckman then chol...

Out: soldo, Butler, baker
In: menadue, nank, kmac

You obviously watch a different Broad than many others. Sure he makes blues like many others but his upside is much more important to the team balance and defending
Saw a different one to me, too. Was second best in the backline after Vlastuin last night.

Reactions: 1 user
We wont make top 4 if we lose 1 match.

Going to be a tough last 3 weeks.

I reckon the changes will include bringing in Nanks at possibly Choi's expense and the Baker experiment in defence may change. Some others on the cusp of losing their places in the firsts but I think the selectors will be conservative and do minimal changes. We should remember that the Blues are no longer the weak useless team from the start of the season and we cannot afford a slip up in our top four position.
I agree.

Chol will be listed as injured. His calf was strapped in the Melbourne game and appeared to be hampered throughout the game.

Out Chol Butler
In Nank Kmac

Baker to move forward to replace Butler