Terrorist attacks in Paris | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Terrorist attacks in Paris

Tigers of Old said:
Waleed Aly is clearly denouncing this horrendous atrocity by Islamic extremists. If you can't hear that you're not listening.
He absolutely nailed it.
islam apologist , just beautiful

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
You must be joking.

"I have the right to criticize my wife. She doesn’t. With us, a wife is a housewife. A woman should know her place. A woman should give her love to us... She would be our property. And the man is the owner. Here, if a woman does not behave properly, her husband, father, and brother are responsible. According to our tradition, if a woman fools around, her family members kill her... That’s how it happens, a brother kills his sister or a husband kills his wife."

- President of (Muslim-run) Chechnya

Their law also provides for homosexuals to be caned and then killed following a third "strike".

I know Muslims in this country who will not permit their wives to get a job, will not permit them to drive a car. And these are "moderates", comparatively well-adjusted.

Again, how they interpret and/or chosen to only concentrate on texts that suit their agenda is not the fault of the religion. The bible is just as vile in some parts of the Old Testament.

Baloo said:
Again, how they interpret and/or chosen to only concentrate on texts that suit their agenda is not the fault of the religion. The bible is just as vile in some parts of the Old Testament.

Agreed, though you'd struggle to find a single Christian who lives according to Leviticus. With Islam, we're talking about a whole different level of devotion/fanaticism.

rosy23 said:
I'm not as big a fan of Waleed's article as some. Of course we shouldn't label, judge or treat people differently based on race or religion. Of course being Muslim doesn't make anyone a supporter of terrorism. I don't see how all the love and friendship in the world would stop the atrocities though. How can me having Muslim friends for dinner have save the poor people in Paris this week? We should treat everyone with respect rather than make assumptions. There need to be far bigger answers to stop the slaughter. I just wish I knew what the answers are.

One of his points is that these terrorists are largely homegrown, they aren't funded by Daesh who are claiming credit for something they essentially had no hand in. So we need to look at what causes these people to turn to Daesh.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Shorthand rather than pejorative. Similar to 'abo' and 'Paki' which were common in a previous generation, but have been turned into something sinister.

Not simple abbreviations or shorthand. Common in previous generations yes, as pregorative terms. Boong, coon and nigger were also common, as were plenty of others for women, gay people and many more. They haven't been 'turned' into anything, they were and are racist, the difference is that racism used to be socially acceptable.

(I used to use 'refo' all the time when I was a kid).

tigersnake said:
Not simple abbreviations or shorthand. Common in previous generations yes, as pregorative terms. Boong, coon and nigger were also common, as were plenty of others for women, gay people and many more. They haven't been 'turned' into anything, they were and are racist, the difference is that racism used to be socially acceptable.

If you refer to them as refos, it's easier to assign them to the refuse that some on here would like them to be.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Agreed, though you'd struggle to find a single Christian who lives according to Leviticus. With Islam, we're talking about a whole different level of devotion/fanaticism.

saw a list of massacres in the US by Christian fundamentalists, it wasn't short.

jb03 said:
When was the most recent one?

forget where I read it, the recent one I remember was Norway 2011, 80 killed. Most were in the US. Including some extremist fringe groups that look a lot like terrorist cells.

Baloo said:
It doesn't though. The extremists are interpreting the Koran to suit their agenda.

Pakistan and Indonesia have had female presidents/leaders in recent times.

But if you are gay in Australia you can marry your partner right?

tigersnake said:

No different to Japs, Yanks or Poms. The other terms you mention were obviously derogatory; there was a clear distinction.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
No different to Japs, Yanks or Poms. The other terms you mention were obviously derogatory; there was a clear distinction.

Yanks and poms are different. (Some of them used to think we didn't like being called Aussies. I went to school for a year in the UK and got into a fight because a kid called me a 'bloody' Aussie, it wasn't the word obviously, it was the intent)

Japs is also unacceptable nowadays and was or is prejorative. As a nation we used to not like Japanese people for obvious reasons. (I actually used it the other day, bit embarrassing, my girlfiend punched me and asked me what a Japanese friend of ours would think, answer is obvious). While some are more extreme than others, all are hurtful. So no clear distinction between good and bad, just bad and horrible. If you can't see that, there's nothing much to say.

tigersnake said:
Yanks and poms are different. (Some of them used to think we didn't like being called Aussies. I went to school for a year in the UK and got into a fight because a kid called me a 'bloody' Aussie, it wasn't the word obviously, it was the intent)

Japs is also unacceptable nowadays and was or is prejorative. As a nation we used to not like Japanese people for obvious reasons. (I actually used it the other day, bit embarrassing, my girlfiend punched me and asked me what a Japanese friend of ours would think, answer is obvious). While some are more extreme than others, all are hurtful. So no clear distinction between good and bad, just bad and horrible. If you can't see that, there's nothing much to say.

I've never used "boong" in my life, but will continue to use "Japs" and the like as I see fit.

IanG said:
One of his points is that these terrorists are largely homegrown, they aren't funded by Daesh who are claiming credit for something they essentially had no hand in. So we need to look at what causes these people to turn to Daesh.

Is what was posted on here the full article? I can't see what you're claiming in it. In fact Walled clearly mentions not knowing who funded, ordered and planned the attack. Can you copy the comments you're referring to please?

rosy23 said:
Is what was posted on here the full article? I can't see what you're claiming in it. In fact Walled clearly mentions not knowing who funded, ordered and planned the attack. Can you copy the comments you're referring to please?

Its in the video and OK its not certain that Daesh didn't fund the attacks but the way they work is to take credit for actions performed by others.