Terrorist Attacks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Terrorist Attacks

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Tigers of Old said:
Ardern. Such a strong leader. She is absolutely brilliant.

Interestingly she had the deputy PM respond to Erdogan's comments about the massacre being part of an organised campaign against Muslims and Anzacs going home in coffins. Morrison has demanded a retraction.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Interestingly she had the deputy PM respond to Erdogan's comments about the massacre being part of an organised campaign against Muslims and Anzacs going home in coffins. Morrison has demanded a retraction.
So you're saying she didn't want to respond to that herself? She let her 'right-wing populist' deputy PM do that 'dirty' work? That said, Winston Peters would love any opportunity for attention. So would be more than happy to do it instead of the PM.

Jokes aside, that is disgustingly cynical politics if that is the case and very disappointing. A leader in this situation needs to be above their personal political prejudices and hold consistent principles. You cannot hold double standards when you're tackling this dangerous issue. Or it actually furthers the fracturing and divide of our society.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Panthera Tigris said:
So you're saying she didn't want to respond to that herself? She let her right wing populist deputy PM do that 'dirty' work?

That is terribly cynical politics if that is the case and very disappointing. A leader in this situation needs to be above their personal political prejudices and hold consistent principles.

The response of New Zealand has been faultless (as far as I can tell from here), so Erdogan claiming the attack was New Zealand “sending us a message from 16,500km away” is reprehensible. I don’t think Trump on his worst day would come close to something like that.

It demanded a strong response and I reckon Ardern has steered away from tough talk while her stocks are high.

E

easy_tiger

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
The response of New Zealand has been faultless (as far as I can tell from here), so Erdogan claiming the attack was New Zealand “sending us a message from 16,500km away” is reprehensible. I don’t think Trump on his worst day would come close to something like that.

I thought the same thing. Couldnt believe i was reading what he said. Super weird war words that like you say, youde be shocked to hear trump tweet. (Deturte would say something that inflammatory and dumb)

Who is this bloke?

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
It demanded a strong response and I reckon Ardern has steered away from tough talk while her stocks are high.
Steered away from saying what she should have said herself, for cynical political reasons. The old good cop, bad cop routine in a way.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Yeah, in a way.
That all said, I find the pilgrimage to ANZAC Cove way over the top, and a bit bizarrely psuedo-religious. Kind of religion for the non-religious in a way. I've always found it strange that the Turkey have bent over backwards to accommodate. Would PNG for instance allow a similar pilgrimage for Japanese people? This is coming from someone who actually served in the ADF myself.

ANZAC Day has become way too jingoistic and nationalistic for mine. I actually cringe at what it has become. I contrast it with Remembrance Day, that is far more appropriately commemorated.

This however in no way makes any excuse for Erdogan's comments. That's just appalling coming from a Presidential candidate. And as suggested, I'd even be surprised to hear a clown like Trump say equivalent.

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
People have to remember that Erdogan's comments were not directed at Australians or New Zealanders. They aren't in his costituency. Just like Anning's, Dutton's and Hanson's comments aren't directed at Muslims or refugees. They are directed at the stupid momgrels that will keep voting for them. Scomo's reaction to Erdogan only gives him fuel to use in his own campaign to be re-elected as president.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
YinnarTiger said:
People have to remember that Erdogan's comments were not directed at Australians or New Zealanders. They aren't in his costituency. Just like Anning's, Dutton's and Hanson's comments aren't directed at Muslims or refugees. They are directed at the stupid momgrels that will keep voting for them. Scomo's reaction to Erdogan only gives him fuel to use in his own campaign to be re-elected as president.
Not that I have any desire to attend an ANZAC Day service in Turkey. If you were that way inclined, you'd have to consider, do I really have to go to Turkey wearing an Australian flag as a cape? Is it really that important a thing to do?

Plenty of military grade weaponry floating around in that part of the world, just over the border. And as IS is being broken up in Syria and on it's last legs, not inconceivable that they would be scurrying over the borders of neighbouring countries like Turkey. With the latest NZ attack added to this and emotions running high and being exploited, it looks to me that there is the perfect recipe brewing for trouble at one of these events one year soon.

E

easy_tiger

YinnarTiger said:

Everything is directed to everybody in the modern world YT. And yeah what the turkish bloke said was Deturte crazy. Maybe crazier?

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
If we are giving serious weight to all the sorts of threats flying around, best not to travel anywhere. Even to the footy tomorrow night, there's Carlton players and supporters with long foreign-sounding surnames.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
YinnarTiger said:

Sure, he’s on the election trail. But people travel from Turkey to other parts of Europe, and when Australia or New Zealand are mentioned, the Turk says “They murder Muslims down there” and this part of the world is off the holiday list.

Same as Morrison reviewing the travel advisory to Turkey - if the government says it’s not particularly safe, Turkey misses out on Gallipoli tourist dollars.

So Erdogan is indulging in jingoism, and I don’t take his words at face value. But millions will.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
K3 said:
I know I am behind on this one but just wanted to add that I think the immense appreciate of Adhern is largely due to the bloody terrible state politics (and especially politicians) are in around the globe. This shambles has really made her stand out amongst her peers.

To reinforce this thought, what do you think would have been the reaction, to the terrible attack from:
Trump or Morrison (keeping it to our main spheres of influence)?
I have been reading all the comments in the NZ PM and my view on why she is being seen so positively is a different one. I agree that largely many leaders would have reacted in the way she has but she has one advantage over them which is that she comes across as authentic,. She looks like she actually believes what she says and she looks and acts like an empathetic person would act in these circumstances not just as a political leader.

Now I have no way or knowing if this impression about her is true but I do know people see it as true and that’s the power of what she is doing. She is being human and is being seen as human. People are relating to her, they are believing her.

If I saw the same thing from Scott Morrison I wouldn’t believe it deep down and neither would many people, even more so
with Trump.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Sintiger said:
I have been reading all the comments in the NZ PM and my view on why she is being seen so positively is a different one. I agree that largely many leaders would have reacted in the way she has but she has one advantage over them which is that she comes across as authentic,. She looks like she actually believes what she says and she looks and acts like an empathetic person would act in these circumstances not just as a political leader.

Now I have no way or knowing if this impression about her is true but I do know people see it as true and that’s the power of what she is doing. She is being human and is being seen as human. People are relating to her, they are believing her.

If I saw the same thing from Scott Morrison I wouldn’t believe it deep down and neither would many people, even more so
with Trump.

Totally agree. I think Morrison and Trump would have come across as if they had memorised what their PR person had written up for them. It wouldn't be pretty or remotely authentic.

Then there is the whole men vs women area, and how women respond differently to such events. A plus for NZ in my books.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Heart breaking to see what has happened in Sri Lanka today. So many innocent lives lost and far reaching effects to a country’s freedom.

Sri Lanka was becoming a great tourist hotspot. I know so many great Sri Lankan people they will be a total state of morning with this attack.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
I wonder if we will see Waleed Aly and/or all the attention seeking, self-flagellating virtue signallers of the Australian media blubbering on camera, giving righteous, finger pointing speeches in this week’s shows, in their coverage of the Sri Lankan Easter attacks?

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Catholic churches on Easter Sunday. The suspect list is pretty short IMO.

I assume you think it's the black flag brigade and you may be right. But I'd happily take the field against them.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Panthera Tigris said:
I wonder if we will see Waleed Aly and/or all the attention seeking, self-flagellating virtue signallers of the Australian media blubbering on camera, in this week’s shows, in their coverage of the Sri Lankan Easter attacks?

It's been noted that after Christchurch, Di Natale spoke of standing with Muslims against Islamophobia, while today's attacks merely targeted "people gathering in peace".

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/andrew-bolt/compare-di-natales-sri-lanka-tweet-with-his-christchurch-one/news-story/1b71fc2b8f4fc34f00460c4f9a03112b