Terrorist Attacks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Terrorist Attacks

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Sintiger said:
This is a terrible turn of events for Sri Lanka. They have been largely spared the Islamic terrorist scourge and by and large any anti Christian sentiment has come from the more radical end of Sinhalese Buddhists than muslims. In the end it only takes a very small minority to change things. It is a massive hit to an economy that was beginning to recover through tourism and other investment after years of civil war.
I used to go to Sri Lanka for work years ago and I found them wonderfully welcoming people but in those days there was always the undercurrent of danger. Looks like it is back again in a different guise which is a great tragedy.

My experience also is that they tend to be good-natured, friendly people. Used to work with a Sri Lankan who received a promotion to Sydney and gave me his car at a time when I was pretty down and out. G'day Shanaka! Play cricket with a few also.

Without wishing to re-start an argument on immigration, I see Islamic terrorism as a numbers game. Sri Lanka has 10%, we have 2.5% and growing. If nothing else, this should open a few eyes to the danger.

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Without wishing to re-start an argument on immigration, I see Islamic terrorism as a numbers game. Sri Lanka has 10%, we have 2.5% and growing. If nothing else, this should open a few eyes to the danger.

So just start an argument using points to match the intellectual rigour of a Fraser Anning or a Peter Dutton.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
YinnarTiger said:
So just start an argument using points to match the intellectual rigour of a Fraser Anning or a Peter Dutton.

It didn't require a reply, but you just couldn't help yourself.

It's not an argument you can win. Today's Muslims = terrorism. It really is that simple.

SpaceAce

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2007
YinnarTiger said:

You sound like a De Natale disciple!
Go spend some time in the north west suburbs of Melbourne and have a look how that area has been transformed due to high numbers of Muslim migrants.
I worked in that area for a while and saw first hand the practice of polygamy and open expression of hatred toward Australia from many young male Muslim migrants.
It’s a bit unsettling walking past a house in a suburban street and seeing an IS flag on display.
No surprise there are always ASIO raids in those areas.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
My experience also is that they tend to be good-natured, friendly people. Used to work with a Sri Lankan who received a promotion to Sydney and gave me his car at a time when I was pretty down and out. G'day Shanaka! Play cricket with a few also.

Attractive but simplistic stats... India 14% Muslim, third biggest Muslim nation...some ugly communal flare ups but is far from out of control, Singapore on their toes ...14% second largest religion. But you could argue the Muslims aren't new immigrants in thise countries though the Muslims basically invaded the sub continent a few centuries back.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
22nd Man said:
Attractive but simplistic stats... India 14% Muslim, third biggest Muslim nation...some ugly communal flare ups but is far from out of control, Singapore on their toes ...14% second largest religion. But you could argue the Muslims aren't new immigrants in thise countries though the Muslims basically invaded the sub continent a few centuries back.

They've been in Sri Lanka for a long time also. But the entire dynamic is changing. The Sri Lankans who went to fight for IS were well-to-do. The more you have, the more potential converts to fundamentalism you have.

We're (Australia) struggling to plug the holes in the dyke as it is, there aren't enough resources. But we don't help ourselves by bending over backwards to accommodate their insularity.

Whatever the legitimacy involved in their settling here, everybody knows what follows them. SpaceAce put it well, we are sleepwalking to our doom.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
scottyturnerscurse said:
I assume you think it's the black flag brigade and you may be right.

The eight bombers.

55387da2defd835eaff34a3b1aa31ece

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
An ISIS member was arrested in Turkey for planning an attack at the dawn service at Gallipoli. I hope they are acting alone. And well done to the authorities in Turkey.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
MB78 said:
An ISIS member was arrested in Turkey for planning an attack at the dawn service at Gallipoli. I hope they are acting alone. And well done to the authorities in Turkey.
Inevitable that such an attack will happen at some point at Gallipoli.

Not that I have any interest in attending an ANZAC Day Service there. The annual pilgrimage to Gallipoli is a phenomenon that’s become a total circus of cult like worship. In our day and age of people turning away from religion in western society, ANZAC Day is doing a good job at morphing away from a somber day of remembrance, to religion for the non-religious. A substitute for religion if you like.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Panthera Tigris said:

Not that I have any interest in attending an ANZAC Day Service there. The annual pilgrimage to Gallipoli is a phenomenon that’s become a total circus of cult like worship. In our day and age of people turning away from religion in western society, ANZAC Day is doing a good job at morphing away from a somber day of remembrance, to religion for the non-religious. A substitute for religion if you like.
I’d like to visit Gallipoli one day but just not on an Anzac Day, just any other quiet day of the year will do.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
tigertim said:
I’d like to visit Gallipoli one day but just not on an Anzac Day, just any other quiet day of the year will do.

Against all my expectations I broke down in front of a row of "Known unto God" headstones in a Belgium war cemetery in the midst of winter, no need for the Last Post to generate the emotional response.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Panthera Tigris said:

When "the Fanatics" are in the business of organising trips there makes you think twice. 1300 was the quoted attendance yesterday... Is that about 10% of The 90s and 00s?

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
22nd Man said:
The Lankans have spent best part of three decades tearing themselves apart. Not sure that the civil war scars have healed over. the educated classes are still migrating in large numbers.

The military in most south Asian countries don't always work in lock step with the govt of the day. India has played both a destabilising and supporting role.

Those Columbo hotels have copped multiple attacks over the years. Attacks on international hotels are stock in trade of Islamic groups.

I can't predict Tiger team changes but I was days ahead of the media on two scores..... The less than desirable performance of the Lankan security forces and the reaction to Indian intelligence complicated by decades of mistrust.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
22nd Man said:
When "the Fanatics" are in the business of organising trips there makes you think twice. 1300 was the quoted attendance yesterday... Is that about 10% of The 90s and 00s?
I just cringe with a lot of the *smile* that we see in the coverage of ANZAC Day at Gallipoli each year. Some random “ANZAC descendant” (what a *smile*ing ridiculous term), attention seeking on the news. Wearing his “ANZAC Gallipoli Tour 2019” T-Shirt, convincing himself of feeling a spiritual link to a random place his great grandfather’s, cousin’s, wife’s, brother’s nephew spent a few months at. Down on the beach feeling the water and turning to the camera to say how he can feel where they came ashore. Then coverage of him rubbing a grave and sobbing. Sorry......absolute crap! I liken it to religious lunatics who have convinced themselves they see Virgin Mary in a random piece of toast.

By the way i’m Ex-service, as was my grandfather and his brothers on my maternal side (Pacific theatre in WWII) and my great grandfather on my paternal side (Western Front WWI). But what ANZAC Day has become and morphed into makes me cringe (before he died 5 yrs ago my maternal grandfather was starting to feel the same way about it). We felt that Remembrance Day is marked far more appropriately as a solemn day of observance and reflection without all the quasi-religious, nationalistic mythology and crap that seems to come with ANZAC Day.

And to play devils advocate. When we already had Remembrance Day. Apart from an opportunity for some jingoistic flag waving, chest beating and the opportunity to invent some apparently unquestionable cliches and myths, what purpose does ANZAC Day really serve? Like I say, the remembrance and reflection elements that we try and convince ourselves that ANZAC Day is about, well they’re already covered on Remembrance Day. Marking that point in time when the guns fell silent - being thankful that it is all over and for those that returned, while thinking of those that didn't, with a moment's silence at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. Contrast that with what point in time ANZAC Day signifies - the start of a failed invasion attempt.

I wouldn't go as far as the deliberately hateful and provocative lefty critics go and refer to it in catchphrases as a festival celebrating murderers & rapists, or whatever nonsense they sprout. I find their views very unfair. But i do find the mindless psuedo-religious reverence totally lacking in any critical thought.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
tigertim said:
As a student of history I possibly would. Not enormously high on my list though. If I get there, I get there, if I don’t, i’m not too fussed. Personally I would head to France & Belgium western front WWI memorials, and indeed the Normandy beaches and D-Day memorials from WWII, before I went to Gallipoli. Each to their own of course. Like anything, everyone has different interests in history.

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
Turkey is worth backpacking, as I remember it. Exceptionally friendly people.

While you’re there, unless you have a fetish for mourning en masse I’d suggest checking out the beach when it’s at its quietest (keeping in mind that perhaps the geography of the coast may now be unrecognizable to the ghosts of the Anzacs who landed there all those years ago), and then head to the nearby war cemeteries. The gravity of the waste of life is there, not at the beach, but in the reading of the poor souls on those headstones. Brothers and men from the same small towns who died on the same day or near enough is especially moving.

Not so convinced that the Anzac thing will inevitably be hit by crazies. There's probably great security there. Crazies love soft targets.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
The brother of the POS that slaughtered Sisto Malaspina in Bourke st in November last year has pleaded guilty to planning his own terror attack at Fed square.

What a family....

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
tigertim said:
The brother of the POS that slaughtered Sisto Malaspina in Bourke st in November last year has pleaded guilty to planning his own terror attack at Fed square.

What a family....

You've got it all wrong, Tim. Just a typical, decent, hard-working immigrant family which just happened to have (at least) two black sheep.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/bourke-street-attacker-complained-of-being-chased-by-people-with-spears-imam-20181110-p50f7y.html

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
You've got it all wrong, Tim. Just a typical, decent, hard-working immigrant family which just happened to have (at least) two black sheep.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/bourke-street-attacker-complained-of-being-chased-by-people-with-spears-imam-20181110-p50f7y.html

What I find annoying is we cancel the passports of these *smile* when they want to join a crusade. We should be flying them out one-way first class.

SpaceAce

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2007
tigertim said:

What a family....

Its absolutely infuriating! Strip their citizenship and DEPORT!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user