The All-Un-Australian Team 2020 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The All-Un-Australian Team 2020

Our defence is the 2nd lowest for points against (6 points off being the best), yet we can only get 1 player in the AA team, a deadset ******* joke.
And you probably need to include that the supposed best defensive side played at least 7 HGs at their actual HG, whereas we had 4 if you include matches against Pies and Hawks at G.

Reactions: 1 users
Get the feeling the team was pic
How did Papley not get in there? Easily the best small forward in the game yet he is overlooked? They put mids in there instead? How many goals has Bont kicked? For those who say it doesn't matter I think you are wrong. This is meant to be the best team of the year. It should carry a certain amount of prestige and be something a player could look back on in his career as an achievement.
If its a body of work then surely the finals of prior years count? Aren't they the most important games of the year?
I feel bad for Vlas, he has been a star for a number of years and to have the likes of Daniel/Byrne-Jones/Ryan picked in front of him is an insult.
Jake Niall has nailed it.

This is my gripe.
Players should be picked based on position.
Small forwards did not get rewarded for their efforst this season.
Too many fan boys picking trying to squeeze their fav's into the team.

Needs to be done on positions, no true wingman in the side, no small forwards, what the *smile* is that *smile* with the backline?
AFL embarrassing themselves here

Reactions: 2 users
Ridley had a fantastic season but I agree that his selection could be questioned on a team balance argument. Is my defence too tall with him in it? I've banked on Grimes playing "small" and have Maynard as my seventh defender for run and carry. I wouldn't be unhappy swapping out Ridley for another small, such as Sheppard.

Blicavs is interesting. I just can't see any standout contender for a second ruck. Grundy was a packhorse this season and Gawn seemed to be much less effective than the past couple of years. I reckon you need a second ruck to kick goals or have another trick (eg Big Boy as a key defender) to make the AA side. You could certainly mount an argument that Blicavs isn't one of the 22 best players in 2020 but part of my beef with AA selections is you're picking a team, not the statistically best 22 players.
Goldstein should have been the second ruck if they wanted to pick one, or even O'Brien from Adelaide who was better than Gawn (who had his worst year for some time IMO).

The All Australian team is kinda ironic since they pick the best individual players from each club and whack them together.

Just like we've seen at GWS, a bunch if talented individuals doesn't necessarily make a good team.

Reactions: 3 users
Goldstein should have been the second ruck if they wanted to pick one, or even O'Brien from Adelaide who was better than Gawn (who had his worst year for some time IMO).

Marshall front the Saints would have been a better choice than Gawn imo

Reactions: 4 users
I had both Goldie and O'Brien in my fantasy side all year so watched them pretty closely.

I'd have ROB ahead of Goldie as I thought Goldie dropped away in the last six weeks or so. O'Brien just gets better and better. His down the line marking sets him apart: it's elite. He will be AA one day, mark it down.

The only knock on ROB for AA is that he's a pure ruck like Nic Nat, and I reckon Nic Nat just slightly shaded him for ruck work. For team balance, I'm not sure you'd have both Nic Nat and ROB.

But I totally agree that either would be an upgrade on Gawn.

My take in 2 parts. I'm sure when opposition coaches are discussing match ups and tactics whenever they come up against Richmond Vlaustin and Grimes would be right in the thick of it. I can even remember Scott from Geesook saying Vlaustin was one player at Richmond we need to stop such a wall and top player etc. I can't see the Luke Ryans and Byrne Jones of the world getting the same sort of focus and discussion from the coaches.

I reckon pick a 40 man squad as normal get the 18 coaches to pick their team out of that and then get the team chosen on that criteria by the numbers. Ask the coaches to pick the side on balance and system. Extra work but not a huge task. Better than current set up!

Reactions: 1 user
Read a few comments on the bookface earlier. Lots of questioning why Dusty is there on a HFF, some adding in the Bont but not many on Danger despite the fact that if any of those 3 should be on a HFF, then Dusty is front of the queue, statistically the best mid / forward in the game and thats before the eye test.

Personally don't think Dangerfield has been that good this year, and IMO shouldn't have been in the team (neither should Adams) but it seems they must have promised him the captaincy for some reason.

Agree on the small forwards, 1 of Papley or Butler should have been in there.

The defence is a joke.

Have a listen to Glen Jakovich one of the AA selectors .

Contradictions galore.

Jakovich on May - its his first year he's really broken out. He'll be strongly considered next year if he continues his form. And he finished the year well, you need to consider the whole year.

On that basis how did Ryan get selected?

Jakovich -
They do look at player performances that propel their side to the top 8/finals. He puts a lot of weight in that.

What you gotta do if you want to put someone in you have to take someone out. Maybe he got the textas to help him work that out?

On why not genuine positional players - in covid players all over the place. Brad Sheppard played forward kicking goals this year. Gaff played half-forward a lot. He played in the middle. No one played set positions. (I think a poster showed McCrae spening about 4% game time on the wing).

On Dangerfield - spent time forward. Look at the last round. He kicked 3 second half goals and won the game against Syd.
Jeezus, Sydney finished 15th. Who was playing on Dangerfield? How many goals did he kick for the year?

• Haha
Jakovich on May - its his first year he's really broken out. He'll be strongly considered next year if he continues his form. And he finished the year well, you need to consider the whole year.

On that basis how did Ryan get selected?

Jakovich -
They do look at player performances that propel their side to the top 8/finals. He puts a lot of weight in that.

What you gotta do if you want to put someone in you have to take someone out. Maybe he got the textas to help him work that out?

On why not genuine positional players - in covid players all over the place. Brad Sheppard played forward kicking goals this year. Gaff played half-forward a lot. He played in the middle. No one played set positions. (I think a poster showed McCrae spening about 4% game time on the wing).

On Dangerfield - spent time forward. Look at the last round. He kicked 3 second half goals and won the game against Syd.
Jeezus, Sydney finished 15th. Who was playing on Dangerfield? How many goals did he kick for the year?
That’s why I wrote - contradictions galore MD.

Shitovitch is not that bright and shouldn't be on the selection panel. He only watches West Coke games!

Did he really say that? Staggering if so.

Instead of a squad of 40, get the committee to nominate players in categories. Back Pockets, FB, CHB, HBF etc. They need to select the best 4 or 5 of each position. Then when they decide on the final 22, they can only use players in positions that they were selected for.

Might get a more balanced team

FB: Castagna Castagna Castagna
HB: Castagna Castagna Castagna
C: Castagna Castagna Castagna
HF: Castagna Castagna Castagna
FF: Castagna Castagna Castagna
R: Castagna Castagna Castagna
IC: Castagna Castagna Castagna Castagna

Garbage side ............... Needs more Castagna

• Haha
Jerkovitch sounding like he was playing pin the tail on the donkey ..