The anti-Frawley rabble | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The anti-Frawley rabble

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Frickenel. Simply too logical. Beautifully put.

I think even the club would have trouble arguing with your logic.

God I hope that doesn't mean they are extending his contract again.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
The Warragul Tiger said:
It’s extremely easy to appear wise after the event (i.e. now when things are going bad). But if these “critics” are really as smart as they’d have us think – then surely they were doing and saying these same things after round 8 this year (and also at the end of 2001). In fact that would have been the ideal time for them to have really gone vocal and told the world then that we were hopeless and destined to win only one further game for the season.

Unfortunately I just don’t seem to recall seeing or hearing anything quite like that – and I wonder whether that says more about them than I ever could here.

Hiya Warragul. I'll stick up for those guys, even though they've almost given me a nervous breakdown at times, ha. ;)

Some of the people on this board have been around for years and have made their thoughts quite clear, usually to the annoyance of the rest of us.

They let us know back then what they thought of our players and coach. When we had a lot of wins in 2001 they posted about our style of play, the way we rarely had attacking wins etc. They drove us bonkers but their opinions were somewhat vindicated when we hit the finals brick wall.

You only have to look back in the threads to see what some people were saying at the start of the season, and when we were 6-2. Their opinions haven't changed as far as I can see, except the results have been even worse than they could have imagined in their wildest dreams.

I don't think I am an "anti-Frawley rabble for not liking our diminished list, our terrible play, our pathetic results.

People post things as they see them, and it won't always be in a positive light.

I actually think the people I imagine you are referring to have been very consistant with their opinions for years...and let us all know about them too worse luck. ;D

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Rosy, your memory is better than mine. Most of these baggers weren't even on these boards 2 years ago. Very, very few criticised our style of play after that prelim final in '01. Very few, if any at all. I remember quite a lot of comment about certain players, who was up to it and who wasn't, and a heap of jubilation about how we ground down arch rivals Carlton in the semi. I don't recall any reservations about Danny then. In fact, I remember quite a deal of optimism on these boards.
I also recall Malthouse being praised for his masterminding of West Coast's defensive game plan in '92 and '94, and plenty of criticism of Geelong's ultimately unsuccessful full-on attacking game plan in the early 90s. Blight learned a lot from those years at Geelong, experience that he put into practise with the Crows. Those successful Crows teams were far more defensive units than those Geelong teams, and won two premierships.
Historical revisionism and 20-20 hindsight is rampant on these boards. I'm not saying that Frawley's game plan is terrific, just that he shouldn't be criticised for trying to implement a predominantly defensive game plan. It's been very successful in the past and is widely recognised by AFL coaches as the launching pad for "percentage success."
Take a close look at Port Adelaide. They have failed miserably in two finals campaigns. It is no coincidence that they have pulled back from their full on running attacking game and put more emphasis on midfield hardness and pressure through the likes of James, Carr and Francou. This is the kind of game plan that wins finals, because finals are always close, breathless in-tight games where no-one is given space or time to execute without maximum pressure.
For a number of reasons, Frawley hasn't yet been successful in getting his players to ritually execute his game plan. He had a measure of success in 2001, and these past two years have been hampered by dud players, massive injuries and historically poor recruiting, plus the well-documented 'over- rating' of the list in 2001. But that doesn't mean that his plan wouldn't ultimately be successful, given the right circumstances.
Once again, I'm not saying that Danny is the Messiah, only that I can see what he's driving at, even if others choose not to.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I agree MOST people were positive earlier on Dean, but I wasn't talking about most people.

There are a couple who have never been positive though. I don't need to name names.

There are also a few here who were letting us know their opinions even when we were 6-2.

There are a lot more questioning Danny now for sure. Geez I wonder why. ::)

That doesn't make them Danny baggers.

They aren't the guys I was thinking Warragul was referring to as rabble though.

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
hey warragul could you tell me what drugs your on i could sure use some the way dudley coaches us or perhaps i could borrow your rose coloured glasses so i to dont have to deal with reality to

iLoVeNeWmAn

RFC - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em
Apr 15, 2003
www.abcsports.com.au
The Warragul Tiger said:
It’s extremely easy to appear wise after the event (i.e. now when things are going bad). But if these “critics” are really as smart as they’d have us think – then surely they were doing and saying these same things after round 8 this year (and also at the end of 2001). In fact that would have been the ideal time for them to have really gone vocal and told the world then that we were hopeless and destined to win only one further game for the season.

Unfortunately I just don’t seem to recall seeing or hearing anything quite like that – and I wonder whether that says more about them than I ever could here.

Always look on the briiiiight siiiide of life, doo doo, doo doo, doo doo........

I'll give you this much Warragul - that's one hell of a way to begin your posting!!! Had you said something negative about the DUD, you would have had smiley faces and 'welcome aboard' messages from here, there and everywhere!!!

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Frickenel- 100% correct. Well said.

Warragul- sorry mate, we are actually quite a nice bunch at times... Just not this week. ;D

The Warragul Tiger

eat 'em alive!
Jul 22, 2003
Warragul
NeWmAn said:
Had you said something negative about the DUD, you would have had smiley faces and 'welcome aboard' messages from here, there and everywhere!!!

Yeah – I understand that now! I hadn’t fully realised the purpose of the Punt Road End.

Anything questioning the wisdom of the anti-Frawley rabble - sorry - intellectuals - is obviously not the done thing around here.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Warragul I gather part of your last message was addressed to me?
I've spent plenty of time getting stuck up the baggers too, but all I was pointing out was that the most vocal few aren't Johnny come latelys as you implied. They have been consistant with sharing the negative views ever since they've been around, worst luck, ha. ;)

I hope I did welcome you to the site. If I've missed anyone it's not intentional (except Newmo ;D ) but there have been heaps of people joining lately and I kinda lose track a bit.

EyeOfTheTiger

I'm a llama!
Jul 16, 2003
There are some double standards here. There isn't a lot of difference in criticising the club or criticising other posters.
It's all just a matter of opinion anyway. Nobody has to be right or wrong, in fact it would be boring if everyone agreed.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Beg to differ Dean3 with your last post - though slightly!

There have been just as many, if not more premierships won by solid attack. Our last 5 for example where our thinking was if we kick 20, they have to kick plenty to win.

Malthouse didn't flood with the Weagles. It was more a case of him taking over a side that had quality defenders and Sumich (pffft) in attack.

Blight inherrited a Geelong side with Gary Ablett, Brownless and a host of other good forwards. So he went all out attack. Had they not spent the first half of the 89 GF trying to punch the snot out of the hawkes, he might have had a flag. Essendon and Brisbane in most recent years can defend well, but were prolific scorers.

Port's game plan has failed in past finals because they refuse to kick to a contested situation - preferring to chip it around to players trying to run off their opponent. In finals football where the pressure is on, this is harder to do. I would love them to make this years GF, coz i want to see that dirty dog Byron Pickett get cleaned up. I know if i was coaching against him on GF day, i'd ensure he was taken care of before he does the obvious and takes out a couple of your key ball players. It would simply be too risky to not take him out. Nothing tough about running past the ball and poll axing an opponent who has his head down.

....sorry i got a bit distracted.

Frawley doesn't play to our strength which is marking power up forward. You have to move it quickly to utilise this and give your crumbers a chance before your forward line is congested.

P

PuntRoadRoar

gee lets think what has frawley done to deserve this constant barrage?

lets have a look shall we?

he got us to a prelim final and inflated all our hopes about our club when everyone else still had doubts about our team, instead of realising we lacked depth he signed up hacks from other clubs in thinking we were only 10 goals away (well we did get flogged by brisbane) from the grand final.

Now the truth has come out and and everyone realises our team doesnt have as many good players as some of us thought.

So instead of Frawley chosing a path Kevin Sheedy has used for the past 20 years in going for youth we find ourselves 2 years behind and thats even before we start to come good.

If by chance we recruit decent kids and find someone who can actually develop them then its going to be another 3-4 years before we see anything positive. So frawley has in fact wasted the past 4 years at Richmond and that is good enough for me to say give him next year then get rid of this DUD.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Excellent post frickenel.

frickenel said:
There is no pressure on the opposition at all. How often do you see us corral an opposition player with the ball, but not actually go in and effect the tackle - "just so long as he doesn't run past me"!!

This doesn't put any pressure on the opponent's delivery, and they hit a target in front of them with ease even though we have 18 men back trying to block up their game.

Mentioned this exact same "tactic" a few weeks back. Annoys the hell out of me when I'm at a game as it always fails yet we persist with this corralling of opposition players each and every week. Crazy stuff ??? .

iLoVeNeWmAn

Apr 15, 2003
www.abcsports.com.au
rosy3 said:
I hope I did welcome you to the site. If I've missed anyone it's not intentional (except Newmo ;D ) but there have been heaps of people joining lately and I kinda lose track a bit.

Rosy, I just realised we have something in common. ;)

You have a memory like an elephant and I am hung like one......... ;D

Cheers.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Very funny Newmo...i bet if you caught a minnow you'd be telling everyone it was the size of a whale by the time you hit the pub with your fishing story too. :rollin

g0tigers

carn the mighty tiges
Jun 16, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Warragul tiger - Mate your treading a fine line here, and your coming close to pissing a whole lotta ppl off. You obviously dont agree with a lot of the things that get said on here, but that doesnt mean you have to go around bagging that poster or make sarcastic remarks.

The ppl on here that bag frawley (i at times am one of them) arnt a rabble, they can be quite nice/intresting ppl and they are always good for a laugh. Sure their repeatitive negative posts can get annoying, but i choose to ignore them.

If everyone on here agreed then it would be bloody boring.

Just remember we are all here because of the same reason - the love of the RFC

iLoVeNeWmAn

Apr 15, 2003
www.abcsports.com.au
rosy3 said:
Very funny Newmo...i bet if you caught a minnow you'd be telling everyone it was the size of a whale by the time you hit the pub with your fishing story too.
roll.gif

You know me too well already Rosy and we haven't even met.

By the way, having a memory like an elephant is a compliment, so next time I decide to 'reveal' information about myself, I need your backing.......

The Warragul Tiger

eat 'em alive!
Jul 22, 2003
Warragul
g0tigers said:
Warragul tiger - Mate your treading a fine line here, and your coming close to p!ssing a whole lotta ppl off. You obviously dont agree with a lot of the things that get said on here, but that doesnt mean you have to go around bagging that poster or make sarcastic remarks.

I'm only bothering to reply to this because I feel you must be kidding. Check my original post - and then look at some of the replies it got. Are you seriously telling me that there was no sarcastic remarks included in them.
(I'm not complaining - and I'm not even bothering with the debate any more - just staggered that after all of that you would be so sensitive to pick me out as being the sarcastic one!)

Good on ya - and Go Tigers!

Ruthless Tigers ?

Tiger Superstar
Aug 10, 2003
Hindsight.....no fact!
At this stage the record is 14 from 41 about 33% success. Look over the four yrs and nothing all has changed from before that. Frawley was and is a DUD!. He could not coach kids. He has no plan, no idea, no direction. WHat he has is an endless supply of excuses, and endless supply of bandaid solutions and no future. RIght from round 1 it was obvious nothing had changed from 2002. There was no plan except kick to Richardson.
Even now there is no direction. Hafey and Bourke have RFC at heart. They will not come out and say anything against the club at this point.

FRAWLEY IS A DUD.

Look at facts and figures not hindsight!