To Whom It May Concern | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

To Whom It May Concern

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
What the majority of the anti-Frawley brigade focus on is where Danny has come from and what he has done since being at Richmond. On the basis of these statistics and the arguments they put forward, you can't argue with them. The evidence is near damning.

They argue that Danny has never been able to Coach and never will be able to and go on about what he has done in four years at the Club.

Fair enough. I even agree with them on many points.

However, the difference between them and me is that I have a bit more faith in the human spirit, so I am prepared to give Danny a go, given the changes that have been and will continue to be made at the Club. Otherwise I could be leading the charge to have him replaced. The thing he needs to realise is that he also needs to change, otherwise the changes going on around him will not help or save him, just like everyone else there.

I've been more than critical in the past (not on this Board) and if I thought nothing was being done to change things, as far as criticism goes, if I was that way inclined, I could leave some of the negative and critical posters on this Board for dead.

Argue all you like that Danny can't coach and never will be able to. That and $2.50 will get you a cup of coffee. The fact remains that he is the Coach and will continue to be, as things currently stand.

I have to ask though, why continue to support Richmond? If you see no hope of Danny changing, what makes you think anything will ever change at Richmond?

What is the difference? Because, for Richmond to change, people must change. Those that are there now either need to change their approach or they will be replaced with those that have the desire to succeed and the right attitude. That includes Danny.

I'll support the Club on this one, until such time as it becomes apparent people are not prepared to change.

What other choice do I have? I could always go beat my head against a brick wall I suppose.

Got any spare ones TG. :'(

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
You know my thoughts on this but I admire your spirit MC24. I not sure why I continue to support the Tigers. Maybe when my shrink sorts out my sado-masochistic tendancies I'll be free again.

I hope you are right and Dopey Danny can change. at the end of the day we all want the same thing - some sustained success.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Like the sentiment but under pressure, everyone reverts to natural instinct. I can't imagine much that would deliver more pressure than AFL coaching, particularly on match day. So fat chance of seeing a change in that regard.

Look at Saturday night against the Saints as an example. We are 8 goals down with about 45 minutes to play. So what does Frawley do? Puts a loose man back in defense!!!

So the plan is not to try to kick goals to get back into the game, but to try to only loose by 8 or 10 goals and not 15!

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
Excellently worded.

I am behind you 100% what you wrote MC24.

I have followed Richmond for the past 27 years have havent have much to cheer about in the past 20 of those years. However, I really believe with a few additions to our list, we'll be right up there.

Call me stupid, I have faith in the club I so much love. I'll there the again on Saturday, in hope we can win.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
MC24 said:
I have to ask though, why continue to support Richmond? If you see no hope of Danny changing, what makes you think anything will ever change at Richmond?

I supported Richmond long before Danny Frawley arrived and I'll support them long after he's gone.

If things don't ever change at the club I'll still support them.

I don't have any choice about supporting Richmond actually, couldn't stop if I tried.

One thing I will do is talk about things as I see them though, not how others tell me to think.

It's no point Danny telling me how close we are to other teams when I've watched us lose yet again.

If the team plays well I'll give praise where I think it's due. Likewise if we are going crap I'll discuss that too.

I can't say I think Danny's travelling that well now when I see the way the team performs each week.

If we are competitive next year and I see improvement I'll post in support, no worries. I can only say it as I see it at the time.

I hope Danny is coach of the year next year, I am not going to hang my hopes on that until I see it for myself though.

There are a few people here who tend to critisise others for questioning Danny, but to me facts speak for themself and there are a lot of questions to be asked.

Here's hoping for a better season in 2004 and lots of positive things to talk about for a change.

Go Tiges.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
MC24 - youre wasting hope if you think frawely will change - the man has no idea. He is better suited in a Ronald McDonald outfit. ;D

iLoVeNeWmAn

RFC - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em
Apr 15, 2003
www.abcsports.com.au
MC24 - I think what us 'anti Dudley' campaigners are on about is like the old saying, 'better late than never'.

He (Frawley) has done his dash, has shown us nothing and we are now left with a list that only Carlton rival.

Where is the right in keeping a proven loser (not personally) at a club for another year???

The only way is up from here, so why not have someone who has had success, who knows what it takes and who supporters of our beloved Tigers can get support because they want to, not because they have to.

What the football world are perceiving about our club is that we accept failure and mediocracy - which as it stands is the absolute truth. Otherwise, why would we possibly hold onto someone who has proven just and only that???

Stability is one thing, which I can agree with when it's suitable, but in Frawley's case, I believe it's only suitable that he do the right thing by himself and our club and that's walk away - no hard feelings (maybe a few).

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
NeWmAn,
please tell me, what successful coach/person would agree to come to Richmond and coach ?

Richmond had Robert Walls (not my preference) as coach. He was a successful player and coach, what results did he get ? The only result he got is what many other coaches have at this club, The Sack !. I wouldnt take on the coaches job at Richmond, as I know that somewhere at the club, someone is sharpening the knive, awaiting to stab my in the back when things arent going well.

I personally believe that when Richmond were looking for a new coach last time, not too many people were interested. I guess that the board felt that Danny was the best person whom applied and gave him the chance.

I know everyone loves a winner. Its so easy pointing the finger at Danny, sure he has make mistakes (just like everyone), but I am sure theres other people at the club whom have made bigger mistakes.

Everyone complains about our player list we have. What about the so-called scouts that go and watch possible recriuts and then give their recommendations.

Danny tells the recruiting staff what sort of players we require and then they go and watch matches and report back to Danny. I really believe that these so called scouts are resposible for us not having a complete player list up to scratch. I believe they are the wrong matches with some of the players their have recommended to recruit.

Take for example Richmond recuiting Fiora instead of Pavolich. It would of been the scouts reports on both players which would of had Danny decide.

With the current bunch of players, it only takes two or three injuries and we are stuffed, we dont have the quality players to cover them.

Injuries play a big part of how the club will travel. Lets face it, we havent had the greatest year on keeping our best players on the field.

We have missed Ottens, Holland, Campbell, Gaspar, Hall, Duncan Kellaway etc. Theres 3 all-Australian players in that list. Quality players that we cant cover.

Yeah, some of Dannys moves and plays can be questionable, but you really have to start questioning some of the players on our list and take into consideration some of the injuries we've had. And from what Ottens and Stafford have both said, some players dont follow the game plan.

Over the last 20 years, its been an easy way out for the club to keep sacking the coach and then reappoint another to only sack then also.

Look at the Western Bulldogs, they have had a year worst than us and no much is said about Peter Rhode. In fact the club is sticking by him and is looking at appointing a mentor for him.

They are sticking by the man they believe was Wallaces best replacement.

Danny has one year left on his contact. At the end of next season, the board will make judgement on if Danny stays or if he goes. Until that time, the club needs to sick by Danny and give him every opportunity to prove himself.

The Warragul Tiger

eat 'em alive!
Jul 22, 2003
Warragul
MC24 said:
However, the difference between them and me is that I have a bit more faith in the human spirit, so I am prepared to give Danny a go, given the changes that have been and will continue to be made at the Club.
:'(

Congratulations - very well said!
I also have the faith and strongly believe that we need to show support and confidence for the current coaching team and look at the medium term prospects for sustained success - rather than another knee-jerk reaction for instant success (as per our recent 20 year experience).

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
MC24 said:
I could always go beat my head against a brick wall I suppose.
banghead.gif
Take as many as you need MC

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
DragicevicFan,
yeah, I meant Sunday not Saturday.

However, I think it will be less stressful watching the grass grow.

spiritofrichmond

" I have a DREAM "
Jul 10, 2003
Blackburn
We can argue till the cows come home about the shortfalls of our coach and whether he should be given another year or not.
The cold reality is that paying members can only take so much when it comes to the dribble that flows out of Frawley's mouth and that of the administration. The consequence will be one where Richmond will only beat The Dees and the doggies in the number of members signed for 2004.

iLoVeNeWmAn

RFC - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em
Apr 15, 2003
www.abcsports.com.au
nwonash said:
NeWmAn,
please tell me, what successful coach/person would agree to come to Richmond and coach ?

I know everyone loves a winner. Its so easy pointing the finger at Danny, sure he has make mistakes (just like everyone), but I am sure theres other people at the club whom have made bigger mistakes.

Everyone complains about our player list we have. What about the so-called scouts that go and watch possible recriuts and then give their recommendations.

Danny tells the recruiting staff what sort of players we require and then they go and watch matches and report back to Danny. I really believe that these so called scouts are resposible for us not having a complete player list up to scratch. I believe they are the wrong matches with some of the players their have recommended to recruit.

Take for example Richmond recuiting Fiora instead of Pavolich. It would of been the scouts reports on both players which would of had Danny decide.

With the current bunch of players, it only takes two or three injuries and we are stuffed, we dont have the quality players to cover them.

Injuries play a big part of how the club will travel. Lets face it, we havent had the greatest year on keeping our best players on the field.

We have missed Ottens, Holland, Campbell, Gaspar, Hall, Duncan Kellaway etc. Theres 3 all-Australian players in that list. Quality players that we cant cover.

Over the last 20 years, its been an easy way out for the club to keep sacking the coach and then reappoint another to only sack then also.

They are sticking by the man they believe was Wallaces best replacement.

Danny has one year left on his contact. At the end of next season, the board will make judgement on if Danny stays or if he goes. Until that time, the club needs to sick by Danny and give him every opportunity to prove himself.

nwonwash - what I said was The only way is up from here, so why not have someone who has had success, who knows what it takes and who supporters of our beloved Tigers can give support because they want to, not because they have to.

In that I mean someone who was a smart player, someone who has a proven record, even as an assistant at a successful club ie, Lambert, Harvey, etc.

Without dwelling on this too much, anyone who has something that can be recognised as successful has to be better than someone who has, (apart from being honest, wears his heart on his sleave, etc.,) none of the above attributes that success warrants.

With Lambert being at Brisbane for the past 3-4 years in the role he is in, surely he has ambitions of coaching at senior level.

Ditto for Harvey as has been stated.

Are you telling me that you 'know' for a fact these guys wouldn't come to Tigerland if the opportunity arose???

You say the Dudley is not at fault for our list and that the recruitment staff should be blamed, not him.

I and many others agree, Greg Beck and his support have no idea with the Pavlich v Fiora debacle a highlight. But surely Frawley would devote a fair percentage of his time to watch these kids at the camps, and be able to have an influence of who is ultimately chosen.

The problem is he and Beck together have no vision when it comes to talent, which without naming the same duds over and over, is blatantly obvious.

I too agree that injuries play a key role in a clubs success as far as a premiership is concerned, but to go 3 months with 1 win, mainly against lowly sides, is more proof of his inability to coach and manage a playing group.

Basically, I honestly believe that the spud just doesn't have what it takes, full stop - not even a flag would change my mind on his coaching ability.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Newman, Freo are on record as saying they would have taken Fiora ahead of Pavlich if they'd had pick 7. What has happened since then is the luck of the draw — you of all people should know that — look at Chris Newman at pick 55! Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

What do you know about Craig Lambert? I'd like to know some detail about why he'd make a good coach.

And surely you're not serious — even a flag wouldn't convince you about Spud? Please tell me that's a bad joke.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
rosy3 said:
One thing I will do is talk about things as I see them though, not how others tell me to think.

There are a few people here who tend to critisise others for questioning Danny, but to me facts speak for themself and there are a lot of questions to be asked.

I can only control what I think. What others want to think and believe is purely their business. Everyone is quite capable of making up their own mind about things and will anyway. I was just letting people know where I stood on the matter, rather than telling them what or how to think.

Also, I know what it's like to have it drive you mad. To never feel able to do anything about the situation we're in. So my main motivation was to put forward reasons why I have a little more patience and tolerance than others seem to have.

And because I know their frustration only too well, I feel qualified in knowing the hopelessness and helplessness people experience.

So I just wanted to let people know that if there's hope for me, there's hope for them too.

Just the same, I realise that words don't really mean much any more. Results do.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
TigersGoddess said:
MC24 said:
I could always go beat my head against a brick wall I suppose.
banghead.gif
Take as many as you need MC

Thanks for the trouble you went to TG ;). Here's hoping they won't be necessary though.

What are the chances? :p

The Warragul Tiger

eat 'em alive!
Jul 22, 2003
Warragul
NeWmAn said:
Basically, I honestly believe that the spud just doesn't have what it takes, full stop - not even a flag would change my mind on his coaching ability.

Can you run that by me again?

This is hypothetical I know - but are you saying that even if Danny Frawley coached Richmond to a flag - you would still class him as a "dud"?
What about 2 flags?
What about 5 flags?

That seems a bit narrow-minded to say the least.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Arfur Fuxache said:
it smacks of hypocrisy to pass judgement on people who aren't happy with spud now yet say you might join them in the future. double standards there. maybe others can just see the writing on the wall a bit earlier.
cheers
arfur

Hi Arfur.

Am I being hypocritical, or flexible in my views? There's a subtle difference.

To persist with something that will never work is downright ridiculous. To have the courage to know when it's time to move on is another.

Also, I believe I have stated that I agree with many of the views regarding Danny. I can see as well as anyone else what's what. I choose not to express those views as readily as others. Each to their own.

Although it may have come across that way, my intention was not to judge people on their views. See my post quoting Rosy for a response. If that is not answer enough, please let me know.