The Astronomy Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Astronomy Thread

Freezer

Tiger Legend
Feb 22, 2007
Interesting thoughts Rosy. I've been looking at the moon a lot recently as my young son has just discovered what it is. I'd like to be able to show him the Southern Cross but alas, it can't be done here in the UK.

I miss the Southern Cross!

Chiang Mai Tiger

Time for some Tiger Payback
Jun 17, 2004
Thailand
Back to my old 8" reflector; the image of the moon was so awesome once I was able to see the dark outline of a satellite passing in the field of view. Reminded me of a little garbage can scooting along.

Lidsand

Chimp Mail - Delivering Since 2007
Oct 12, 2005
Melbourne
not a hobbyist by any means but as a keen onlooker i find those apps that identify the stars, planets and moon fascinating.

i use sky view

BustinDustin

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 2, 2011
Earth
So, after a late night I happened to witness the entire event however the colour (red) wasn't all that bright as i expected. In northern Australia last night it started around 10:30pm and finished around 1:30. Although the full moon lit up the sky the northern sky provided an excellent view of Jupiter - 3 moons visible - with a 6" reflector, and when that got boring we looked at the Orion Nebula in the constellation Orion.

The event was mixed with a few bottles of red overall a great night.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
BustinDustin said:
when that got boring we looked at the Orion Nebula in the constellation Orion.

What does it look like with a 6"?

In one sense the advent of space probes and projects like the Hubble Telescope is a bit deflating for the amateur, knowing that you can never remotely approach the visual grandeur of those photos. Even so, it's a fascinating pastime, and one which should be taught at a basic level in schools. I suspect most people have a very poor understanding of our place in the cosmos.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
I suspect most people have a very poor understanding of our place in the cosmos.

I'd have to plead guilty to that. What is our place in the cosmos?

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Another strange question I always thought of since I was a kid, was why only 1 out of 9 planets has oxygen/human beings on it??

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
TigerForce said:
Another strange question I always thought of since I was a kid, was why only 1 out of 9 planets has oxygen/human beings on it??

Haha, now you're getting into cosmology and its attendant, profound questions about life on earth originating through cosmic fluke, or some grand design. The atmospheres of the other inner planets contain oxygen, but in much smaller quantities. Various complex models have been developed to explain the formation of the earth and solar system, but AFAIK, no one theory accounts for all the anomalies.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Haha, now you're getting into cosmology and its attendant, profound questions about life on earth originating through cosmic fluke, or some grand design. The atmospheres of the other inner planets contain oxygen, but in much smaller quantities. Various complex models have been developed to explain the formation of the earth and solar system, but AFAIK, no one theory accounts for all the anomalies.

Yeah, so many theories............

There are small parts of oxygen on other planets, but why we are totally different to the other 8 planets (Pluto's still a planet to me ;D) remains a strange mystery.

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
I was given a half decent telescope for a recent birthday, but the technology is beyond me.

Can anyone suggest how I can get some introductory help? I have contacted the Astronomical society, but they expect a level of capability that is currently beyond me; if I could have 4-5 hours (paid) with a patient PhD student or amateur enthusiast, I reckon I'd be up and running.

BustinDustin

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 2, 2011
Earth
lukeanddad said:
Can anyone suggest how I can get some introductory help? I have contacted the Astronomical society, but they expect a level of capability that is currently beyond me; if I could have 4-5 hours (paid) with a patient PhD student or amateur enthusiast, I reckon I'd be up and running.

Get to learn what your telescope can do, how to maintain it, understand the purpose of your lenses, ask your local telescope dealer for info on the basics ie. a 2 sided planisphere, the 2012 Astronomy Australia handbook, download Stellarium on your PC - it's free and you'll use it more than your telescope, you'll never look back. Does your backyard provide a good viewing platform if not maybe you'll need to transport? Familiarise yourself with your current position and know your directions, get to know the moon phases, start with The Crux & Centaurus, these two constellations make what we call the Southern Cross that point to the south celestial pole.

There's a few great amateur astronomy forums in Australia, join up and attend a star party, there you will have people like yourself who are willing to learn and some pretty intelligent people who know their stuff.

U2Tigers

Tiger Legend
Nov 10, 2005
Adelaide
BustinDustin said:
Get to learn what your telescope can do, how to maintain it, understand the purpose of your lenses, ask your local telescope dealer for info on the basics ie. a 2 sided planisphere, the 2012 Astronomy Australia handbook, download Stellarium on your PC - it's free and you'll use it more than your telescope, you'll never look back. Does your backyard provide a good viewing platform if not maybe you'll need to transport? Familiarise yourself with your current position and know your directions, get to know the moon phases, start with The Crux & Centaurus, these two constellations make what we call the Southern Cross that point to the south celestial pole.

There's a few great amateur astronomy forums in Australia, join up and attend a star party, there you will have people like yourself who are willing to learn and some pretty intelligent people who know their stuff.

wow thanks for that info.

Got the Stellarium, good site, just have to play with it a bit.

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
BustinDustin said:

I studied Astronomy at Uni (back in the 13th century) so am ok with theory. My problems relate to shocking fine motor skills. I've been to a star party but was so far behind everyone else - and reluctant to waste their time - that it was of minimal value.

I m,ay post an ad on a Board in the Monash/Melb Physics dept; hopefully I can tempt a poor student with the promise of some beer $s...

BustinDustin

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 2, 2011
Earth
U2Tigers said:
Got the Stellarium, good site, just have to play with it a bit.

Don't forget to set the location - move the mouse to the left of screen there are more pop out icons there.

On Supernovas, imagine being around witnessing the supernova in 30 years time in our Milky Way. I doubt it very much that it will brighten up our atmosphere but at night if you are lucky to see it, it should be visible I think.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
BustinDustin said:
On Supernovas, imagine being around witnessing the supernova in 30 years time in our Milky Way. I doubt it very much that it will brighten up our atmosphere but at night if you are lucky to see it, it should be visible I think.

The supernova which created the Crab Nebula was apparently visible during the day for several weeks. Its apparent magnitude is estimated to have been between -4.5 and -7; by comparison Siriius is -1.47, Venus -4.89 (maximum), the full moon -12.74 and the sun -26.74.

250px-CrabNebulaHubble.jpg