The Blair "Which?" Project | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Blair "Which?" Project

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Couple more names. Sam Lowson will be a great story if gets his chance. Been through a lot.

Unfortunately, a bit old now you'd think - 28 this year.

The one Leysy is keenest on (In Vic anyway as across them more) is Shaun Mannagh from Werribee.

Some might remember him from our VFL side back when Fly was coaching. Went back to Ovens and Murray and dominated a very strong comp before heading to Werribee where he is a star. Sill only 25.

Quick, skilled, fit, strong, wins own ball and is clean. Still improving and gets the most out of himself.

He has a game that could translate to AFL and moreso at our club playing that small forward that pushes up and down the ground.

His height (175cm) probably the main reason hasn't been drafted yet.

But we love a midget (or used to). About time we went back to that mantra.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

checkside

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2005
Australia
Anyone else think supporters tend to over rate top 20 picks when it suits them and the motive they are running with.

2015 premiership team - 11 top 20 picks
2016 - 5
2017 - 10
2018 - 8
2019 - 9
2020 - 7
2021 - 8
2022 - 6

The north team that lost to Melbourne by 90 points 2 weeks ago 10 top 20 picks.

The gws team that lost to the bulldogs on the weekend 14 top 20 picks, including 10 top 10 picks.

Reactions: 8 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Anyone else think supporters tend to over rate top 20 picks when it suits them and the motive they are running with.

2015 premiership team - 11 top 20 picks
2016 - 5
2017 - 10
2018 - 8
2019 - 9
2020 - 7
2021 - 8
2022 - 6

The north team that lost to Melbourne by 90 points 2 weeks ago 10 top 20 picks.

The gws team that lost to the bulldogs on the weekend 14 top 20 picks, including 10 top 10 picks.
Great post. And to go a step further Checkers, some of those would be traded in. Not original clubs that actually drafted them (like Lynch and Presita).

I'm convinced it's about getting three or four core players from a couple of drafts and hoping you get lucky with one or two. I reckon we have scooped the pool with players like Short, Baker, Butler, even Castanga, hopefully Young with rookie picks and late picks, it's the firsts and seconds we've struggled with.

Reactions: 4 users

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
With mid season draft,if we are 9th,and 2 sides not involved,so pick 7, who would be the best 8 players available.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
The second ruck situation is a conundrum, as is midfield depth and key forwards.

I don't think we can play Soldo and Nank together. Or Lynch alongside a resting ruck, including Ryan (yet).

And Miller, Biggie and Balta aren't natural forwards or rucks.

I'd like to see Lefau from the VFL team considered as a rookie or late pick. He's 195 cm, 100 kg, has a rugby background and plays as a midfield brick shithouse as well as doing some relief ruck work.

He did an ACL last year and only returned to the VFL mid-season, quiet at first but building through the last 6 weeks. Eight tackles and 17 disposals today (I didn't see the game).

Send him to Cripps, or Wines, or Viney. Let him take the ruck while Nank has a break.

What do VFL watchers think?

Reactions: 2 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
So we all know we desperately need some added depth in our key forward stocks. I have put below a list of whom I think we should target this off season.

1. Jacob Koschitzke - should be our number 1 target. Out of contract, right age profile and gettable.
2. Hayden Maclean - same as above but less likely to leave Sydney.
3. Mitch Georgiades - right age bracket, out of contract. But will he want to come to Victoria. Also being 192cm is he competing with Bauer.
4. Tom Macdonald - short term fix. Out of favour at Melbourne. But still has a year to run on his contract. Might be a cheap stop gap.

I would be very surprised if we are not talking to at least one of the above.

Reactions: 4 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
The second ruck situation is a conundrum, as is midfield depth and key forwards.

I don't think we can play Soldo and Nank together. Or Lynch alongside a resting ruck, including Ryan (yet).

And Miller, Biggie and Balta aren't natural forwards or rucks.

I'd like to see Lefau from the VFL team considered as a rookie or late pick. He's 195 cm, 100 kg, has a rugby background and plays as a midfield brick shithouse as well as doing some relief ruck work.

He did an ACL last year and only returned to the VFL mid-season, quiet at first but building through the last 6 weeks. Eight tackles and 17 disposals today (I didn't see the game).

Send him to Cripps, or Wines, or Viney. Let him take the ruck while Nank has a break.

What do VFL watchers think?
I was really impressed by Lefau last year, and he had me looking into his eligibility for the midseason draft.

Good size. Some elite attributes (hunting, tackling, toughness). Gets the ball enough but not a lot.

I don't think he impacts games much. And he doesn't look to me like a player that's necessarily above the VFL level.

He may be slightly too ineffective to really be an AFL option. But I would be interested to see it.

Reactions: 1 user

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
So we all know we desperately need some added depth in our key forward stocks. I have put below a list of whom I think we should target this off season.

1. Jacob Koschitzke - should be our number 1 target. Out of contract, right age profile and gettable.
3. Mitch Georgiades - right age bracket, out of contract. But will he want to come to Victoria. Also being 192cm is he competing with Bauer.
4. Tom Macdonald - short term fix. Out of favour at Melbourne. But still has a year to run on his contract. Might be a cheap stop gap.

Jacob's preferred option is if they offer him a new contract is to stay at the Hawks.

But you never know if guaranteed more game time etc etc

• Dislike

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Going into a full time role can do wonders. Look at Young and Trezise for starters. You never know with Lefau which way it may go, the potential rewards (potentially filling a KPF/relief ruck spot) outweigh the risk given he'd only occupy a rookie spot IMO.

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au
I'd like to see Lefau from the VFL team considered as a rookie or late pick. He's 195 cm, 100 kg, has a rugby background and plays as a midfield brick shithouse as well as doing some relief ruck work. Send him to Cripps, or Wines, or Viney. Let him take the ruck while Nank has a break.
Interesting thought. We need more grunt at the centre bounce, to curb oppo big bodied mids.

6-6-6 has not been our friend.

When we are up against a ruck/midfield combo like Melbourne's, I'd like to see a focus on forcing a secondary ball-up.

Then 6-6-6 ceases, and a different strategy can come into play.

But big bodies, strong tackles and quick hands are key.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Interesting thought. We need more grunt at the centre bounce, to curb oppo big bodied mids.

6-6-6 has not been our friend.

When we are up against a ruck/midfield combo like Melbourne's, I'd like to see a focus on forcing a secondary ball-up.

Then 6-6-6 ceases, and a different strategy can come into play.

But big bodies, strong tackles and quick hands are key.
ON the other hand we now have strong bodies over the ball - Timmy T and J Hops. Dusty too.
But teams like Port, Swans and Brisbane have swift agile rovers.
Apart from Shai we dont have similar.

I'd like us to aim for a Warner /rowbottom combo this draft. Fast mids.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
My boy Cooper Murley is an unrestricted free agent after Collingwood delisted and re-rookied him last year. Has played mostly as a small forward or wing at VFL level, and while he hasn't set the world alight, he is very light and from reports has been progressing well. Let's get him.

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
My boy Cooper Murley is an unrestricted free agent after Collingwood delisted and re-rookied him last year. Has played mostly as a small forward or wing at VFL level, and while he hasn't set the world alight, he is very light and from reports has been progressing well. Let's get him.
This is likely to be unpopular, but, Zac Fisher is a zippy small forward available. Sure, he ain't the the best, and fulfills a need

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

Good to see Blair has been reading PRE.

Now he needs to work some miracles and get us back in the first round of the draft.

Reactions: 1 users