The Blair "Which?" Project | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Blair "Which?" Project

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Its not nonsense. If we'd have hung onto him, he wouldn't have played many games, much like Naismith isn't and we would then lose all power by trading a guy at the end of 2024 who is then out of contract compared to when he was in contract last year.

Tell me what other non playing rucks go for on the open market? Jordan Sweet went for Pick 50 last, Nank went for a pick in the 30's. I'd hazard a guess that an out of contract Ivan would get us a pick around 40, you may disagree but the market sets the price. Not you or I.

We traded him last year for Freos 2nd in 2024, Pick 41 and Ports 4th in 2024 (I'll ignore the swap of 49 for 50) which is much better than 1 pick around 40, so not sure what you are getting at that it was a poor deal.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I was speaking of your suggestion that I want to screw with every other team.
The rest of your post is equally off the mark.

Try and understand.
It’s not about what might happen at this years draft had we failed to fit in with Ivan and his manager, (and clear him to Port).

At that point we were well into our preparation for this season 2024.
Jack retired, Tom still injured, with only two proven rucks Nank and Ivan. And with Balta still in our backline and Lefau still far from becoming a possible partial solution.
In short we needed both Nank and Ivan and were on the way to what is a $70,000,000.
plus annual budget expenditure, (with Nank still likely to struggle the longer into the season we get). The risk we have taken is enormous. All left up in the air then and now beginning to become a reality with one major injury after another.

We needed to keep him. And in the worst case and we decided to let him go, then we needed to be compensated for the substantial risk we were undertaking.
Neither of these things occurred.
We had both the means and certainly the need but still thought it reasonable to sell for what in the circumstances I maintain, was a very low price.

Last edited:

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I was speaking of your suggestion that I want to screw with every other team.
The rest of your post is equally off the mark.

Try and understand.
It’s not about what might happen at this years draft had we failed to fit in with Ivan and his manager, (and clear him to Port).

At that point we were well into our preparation for this season 2024.
Jack retired, Tom still injured, with only two proven rucks Nank and Ivan. And with Balta still in our backline and Lefau still far from becoming a possible partial solution.
In short we needed both Nank and Ivan and were on the way to what is a $70,000,000.
plus annual budget expenditure, (with Nank still likely to struggle the longer into the season we get). The risk we have taken is enormous. All left up in the air then and now beginning to become a reality with one major injury after another.

We needed to keep him. And in the worst case and we decided to let him go, then we needed to be compensated for the substantial risk we were undertaking.
We had both the means and certainly the need but still thought it reasonable to sell for what in the circumstances I maintain, was a very low price.
Wow! What were we spending the 70 million on? Surely we could've fudged a bit of that into our strength n conditioning dept. Soldo wanted out, we could chose to hamstring his career n present ourselves as arseholes. Or we could do the right thing for a bloke who helped us to a flag n get him to a club where he could be senior ruck while getting the best return possible for him. While it may not be a perfect scenario there's some win, win, win in there for everyone.

Reactions: 1 user

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Gunna be a long year on PRE if we are spending this amount of time still debating the Soldo trade :LOL:

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
They traded their first to Freo and a second, before they got down to us. No one was holding a gun to their head, but they knew we would not push too hard because we never do. Ivy was contracted.
And the around 65 you refer to is pretty much worthless.
Managers love us because we always look
after players which is a ✅ but includes giving in to demands for a trade
by contracted players we should keep like Ivan.
Once the club took a view that it wished to keep him that should have been the end of the matter unless the buyer upped the offer and we couldn’t say no.
But no we let him go for peanuts and then had to go out and look for a replacement.
Repeat after me: Ivan Soldo was not worth a first round pick. Just because they have a great midfield, doesn't mean he as a ruckman is any better a player than he would be for us.
It might complete their set up, but it won't turn him into an All Australian.
The 65 isn't worthless to a club that's looking to stockpile points for academy and father son players. Not unless the AFL change the draft before we get there.

Reactions: 1 users

The_General

Staff member
May 4, 2004
You're missing the point.

Soldo *wanted* to go. We wanted to keep him. He wanted to be a starting Ruck, not a second forward or back up ruck.

When the player wants out, and they have one year on their contract, you roll the dice.

We have Sampson we need to give time to develop. We had Naismith in our back pocket as an option.

Time to let it go, Olaf.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240419_192145_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240419_192145_Chrome.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Interesting to think that come the start of the season 2025 the RFC may well be lesser another 4 Premiership Players.

Grimes - Retired

Martin Retired

Baker - Traded

Graham- Traded

Even if those 4 heroes and greats retire or move on the club still needs to cut ties with the likes of Dow and Hugo.

Even when you're refurbishing you still need to put the rubbish out.

I'm getting a retirement vibe from the great #4.

Reactions: 4 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Interesting to think that come the start of the season 2025 the RFC may well be lesser another 4 Premiership Players.

Grimes - Retired

Martin Retired

Baker - Traded

Graham- Traded

Even if those 4 heroes and greats retire or move on the club still needs to cut ties with the likes of Dow and Hugo.

Even when you're refurbishing you still need to put the rubbish out.

I'm getting a retirement vibe from the great #4.
You put #4 away and only give it out to a kid if they win a Norm Smiith for us.
Flappers has to be close to been farewelled too.
Pickett too.
Banks?
Sony??
Mate???

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
You put #4 away and only give it out to a kid if they win a Norm Smiith for us.
Flappers has to be close to been farewelled too.
Pickett too.
Banks?
Sony??
Mate???
Pickett also might retire.

McIntosh will probably go again for 1 year or so I cant see him being traded.

As of now Dow and Hugo can be shown the door. Colina doesnt even count lets be honest.

Even if we lose the stars from the Flags we must still cut younger players who are not up to it.

Very pivotal post season this year Moreso than any other.

Could be some real overhauling being undertaken.

Last edited:

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Gunna be a long year on PRE if we are spending this amount of time still debating the Soldo trade :LOL:
Well we could always discuss our injuries n how well our footy's going at the moment. At least we get to mix things up a little by bitching how we allowed ourselves to be ripped off in the Soldo trade, probably a lot less painful than talking about this year so far.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Pickett also might retire.

McIntosh will probably go again for 1 year or so I cant see him being traded.

As of now Dow and Hugo can be shown the door. Colina doesnt even count lets be honest.

Even if we lose the stars from the Flags we must still cut younger players who are not up to it.

Very pivotal post season this year Moreso than any other.

Could be some real overhauling being undertaken.
The way we're talking here, maybe we shouldn't trade all our draft picks to try n get early ones. We might be needing all ten of our picks just to fill the list holes or run with 35 players for next year.

• Haha

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
The way we're talking here, maybe we shouldn't trade all our draft picks to try n get early ones. We might be needing all ten of our picks just to fill the list holes or run with 35 players for next year.

We can load up at the rookie draft, Zips will be stoked.

• Haha

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
You're missing the point.

Soldo *wanted* to go. We wanted to keep him. He wanted to be a starting Ruck, not a second forward or back up ruck.

When the player wants out, and they have one year on their contract, you roll the dice.

We have Sampson we need to give time to develop. We had Naismith in our back pocket as an option.

Time to let it go, Olaf.
No it is you who is missing the point..

We were and remain very vulnerable this year.

We had some contractual protection which we could have used to keep him when he was most certainly needed.
(Not going over the reasons why again).
And we gave up that protection for peanuts.
And now the worst fears in terms of injury are taking an awful toll with no one emerging to take up the pressure should Nank go down.I know you always support our administration and in most instances so do I.

But that is no way to run a football club.

• Dislike
  • Haha

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
When did Soldo become Riewoldt and Cotchin wrapped into one?

*smile* me. The bloke is a good ordinary player.

He would have made zero difference to our team this year.

Reactions: 7 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
We can't draft, but even worse we have kids that play for our 2's that are quality but Clark's has his blinkers on.
Sonilgo.
Durham.
Deledio

Reactions: 1 user

The_General

Staff member
May 4, 2004
No it is you who is missing the point..

We were and remain very vulnerable this year.

We had some contractual protection which we could have used to keep him when he was most certainly needed.
(Not going over the reasons why again).
And we gave up that protection for peanuts.
And now the worst fears in terms of injury are taking an awful toll with no one emerging to take up the pressure should Nank go down.I know you always support our administration and in most instances so do I.

But that is no way to run a football club.
He was going. Read the article. He didn't want to be here. He wanted an opportunity, and as a ruck man, he was never going to play ahead of Nank. He would have walked at the end of this year as he was out of contact, and we'd have had no bargaining power at all.
Soldo wouldn't be played as a CHF, and you don't plan on building a list for this volume of injuries and lack of form.
We gave up a ruckman, who was playing VFL, for a *series* of picks. Those picks should enable us to trade up in the draft. If you think we'd have got a first round pick, you're hallucinating. Soldo has never been worth that.
We have Naismith to take over should Nankervis go down. we have Sampson as a third understudy if both of those players go down. You're speculating that he'd either be playing now over those who are, as a KPF or your speculating our injuries will get worse to take out those three players.
Remember , we need to develop Sampson. Soldo being here would limit that. Naismith allows the development, but also covers as a back up.
This is the least of our concerns with our list management decisions.

Reactions: 6 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Still in firm disagreement.

It cost 10s of millions each year and to go in and sacrifice the coverage we had for Nank, already the victim of a very tough season 23., was a huge mistake.
Leaving for this year the possibility that Port could trade for him, or try and get him via the PSD. (Fat chance).

Further he is an intelligent young man.

If someone had gone to the the trouble of explaining why such a course was necessary, I think he would have understood and accepted that reasoning. An increase in his salary might also have helped soften the blow.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
When did Soldo become Riewoldt and Cotchin wrapped into one?

*smile* me. The bloke is a good ordinary player.

He would have made zero difference to our team this year.
He helped win us a premiership in 2019 and would have been part of that partnership again.
Losing Nank should that occur, would further emphasise why his contract was extended to the end of 24.

Last edited: