The Don's party Election night thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Don's party Election night thread

hey guys enough with the analysis. i have the bbq cranked up and some excellent chicken wings that have been marinating!

Tigers of Old said:
Costello is a smug SOB.
They would likely have lost the election with him as PM anyway.
Howard knows that the majority will not vote for Costello hence his decision to stay on.
Peter Costello may not even be opposition leader after this.

He may be smug...but if he was PM for the last 2-3 years, the economy was still strong, etc...then there would be no need for people feeling a need to change, because they would have had their change already.

I think if Rudd wasn't the Opposition Leader and a bum off the street was....the result would have been the same.
Rudd was in the right place at the right time......and Beazley would be spewing at how close he came to being PM.

Liverpool said:
He may be smug...but if he was PM for the last 2-3 years, the economy was still strong, etc...then there would be no need for people feeling a need to change, because they would have had their change already.

I think if Rudd wasn't the Opposition Leader and a bum off the street was....the result would have been the same.
Rudd was in the right place at the right time......and Beazley would be spewing at how close he came to being PM.

I don't think you give Rudd anywhere near enough credit.

Beazley had been in the game too long and was never going to be PM..

Rudd rungs rings around Kim in many facets.

Howard is the best in the business but Rudd matched him all the way and beat him resoundingly.

How he goes is yet to be seen but he's off to a good start.

Tigers of Old said:
Howard is the best in the business but Rudd matched him all the way and beat him resoundingly.

I agree.
Crossed the same "t" and dotted the same "i" on just about every policy the Libs put out.
Rudd matched him down to the letter alright.

Liverpool said:
I agree.
Crossed the same "t" and dotted the same "i" on just about every policy the Libs put out.
Rudd matched him down to the letter alright.

Fighting fire with fire. Smart politics.

It's not as if honest John has never adapted another parties policies. ;)

Or used scare mongering tactics [Children overboard anyone].

Interestingly how the Coalition uses "Union Members" are pseudo reds under the beds but no one mentions how many from "Big Business" lobby groups are part of the Coalition

Tigers of Old said:
Fighting fire with fire. Smart politics.
It's not as if honest John has never adapted another parties policies. ;)

"Small target politics".
Of course it was smart.
Latham and Beazley had stuck to their true ALP policies and had lost badly in previous elections.
People were more aligned with what the Libs were thinking and doing.....so Rudd coming in, more or less hiding the true polcies and just agreeing with everything the Libs did, gave people the impression that they could have leadership/party change, but things would more or less stay the same for them.
Add to that things like speaking Mandarin to get the Asian vote....hi-fiving schoolkids and laptop/broadband promises to get the young vote....and you have, what Rudd called Howard himself, a 'clever and cunning politician'.
We saw glimpses of the true ALP style when McClelland let the death-penalty policy out of the bag and was censored after that....and we had Garrett say that the policies would all change once in power...but it wasn't enough for people to get out of their 'change for the sake of change' mentality.

Ghost Who Walks said:
Or used scare mongering tactics [Children overboard anyone].
Interestingly how the Coalition uses "Union Members" are pseudo reds under the beds but no one mentions how many from "Big Business" lobby groups are part of the Coalition

"Big Business" is what keeps the country going....not the Unions.
I haven't seen big business yet volunteer to go out on strike to the detriment of the consumer or the public.

I think those saying the Libs lost it don't give enough credit for the tactical way Labor ran their election campaign.

First of all Rudd was a copycat, and now we're saying people just wanted change????? I don't get that at all.

No, it's because Howard and Costello had become distant and arrogant. They had a "we know best" attitude, similiar to the attitude that Keating had at the end of his term. Twice they introduced policies that were catagorically lifestyle changing for the entire country, without consulting the public at election time. I'm talking of the "never ever" GST, and workchoices.

2 of my family members have had their hours per week "frozen" (eg ,max 38hr week), and lost their penalty rates, albeit with a higher hourly rate. Subsequently, one is thirty dollars a week worse off, and another around $55 a week worse off. They're at the bottom end of the labour market, and hits like that hurt. They have less flexibility with things like roster notification, and have basically been told take it or leave it. One of them is my mother who's nearing retirement, and has little chance of gaining work elsewhere at her age. She was delighted to hear Mr Abbot say she should just go out and get another job if she was feeling alienated by her employer.

As for any bum off the street coming in to beat Howard and the result being the same, I say no sir. That wouldn't have happened. Labour tried it last election, and we all know what happened to that bum. He lost the plot and went AWOL.

thumps jukebox!

We'll be fighting in the streets
With our children at our feet
And the morals that they worship will be gone
And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgement of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around me
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again

The change, it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the foe, that' all
And the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they all flown in the last war

Just like yesterday
No, no!

I'll move myself and my family aside
If we happen to be left half alive
I'll get all my papers and smile at the sky
For I know that the hypnotized never lie

Do ya?

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

There's nothing in the street
Looks any different to me
And the slogans are replaced, by-the-bye
And the parting on the left
Is now the parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

Just like yesterday
Don't get fooled again
No, no!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

Liverpool said:
I haven't seen big business yet volunteer to go out on strike to the detriment of the consumer or the public.

Taking jobs off shore to places like India is the equivalent in my eyes. It is detriment to the public and the consumer, because the public usually ends up with a reduced service (ever tried to call a Tech support that was based in India or SE asia?) or, they loose their job. Which means, they end up with less money to spend, and less money coming into the economy. Subsequently, the economy in the other country, with the exported labour, gets an income lift.

Liverpool said:
"Small target politics".
Of course it was smart.
Latham and Beazley had stuck to their true ALP policies and had lost badly in previous elections.
People were more aligned with what the Libs were thinking and doing.....so Rudd coming in, more or less hiding the true polcies and just agreeing with everything the Libs did, gave people the impression that they could have leadership/party change, but things would more or less stay the same for them.
Add to that things like speaking Mandarin to get the Asian vote....hi-fiving schoolkids and laptop/broadband promises to get the young vote....and you have, what Rudd called Howard himself, a 'clever and cunning politician'.
We saw glimpses of the true ALP style when McClelland let the death-penalty policy out of the bag and was censored after that....and we had Garrett say that the policies would all change once in power...but it wasn't enough for people to get out of their 'change for the sake of change' mentality.

"Big Business" is what keeps the country going....not the Unions.

And what do Big Business want "Consumers" you can not have consumers if you do not pay your workforce.

Who pays the most taxes as a percentile PAYE workers not Big Business [See Kerry Packer].

Liverpool said:
so Rudd coming in, more or less hiding the true polcies and just agreeing with everything the Libs did, gave people the impression that they could have leadership/party change, but things would more or less stay the same for them.

Hiding policies? You obviously mean like industrial relations reform?

No way honest John would have won the previous election if he run his campaign based on those significant reforms as opposed to suggesting under Labor that interest rates would rise significantly.

The_General said:
First of all Rudd was a copycat, and now we're saying people just wanted change????? I don't get that at all.

Rudd and his(?) policies are a copycat...that is correct.
But people wanted change, in that they wanted someone different delivering these policies.
People like the economic prosperity....but like I have said before. Even if you have a top restaurant with the best meal imaginable....sooner or later, you will go and visit another restaurant because it is human instinct to try something different, to take a risk so to speak.
The problem is the person they have voted in won't be delivering the same policies that he has been copying off the Coaltion.....they will be delivering their 'true' ALP policies.
So we will get change alright, plus some.

The_General said:
No, it's because Howard and Costello had become distant and arrogant. They had a "we know best" attitude, similiar to the attitude that Keating had at the end of his term. Twice they introduced policies that were catagorically lifestyle changing for the entire country, without consulting the public at election time. I'm talking of the "never ever" GST, and workchoices.

I think they got a bit complacent because the ALP had stuffed up so many times previously.
However, they were still doing a good job....and to me, I don'[t care how smug someone is, or how arrogant someone is...as long as the results are there for the Australian people, that is what counts.
Jeff Kennett suffered a similar fate.....he became a bit cocky because the ALP had stuffed up so many times, but the Victorian economy had gone from being the worst in the country to the best in the country. Yet the people still voted him out.
As the old saying goes..."If you try to please everyone all of the time, no one will like you". ;)

As for the GST.....the ALP first thought up the GSt but didn't follow through with it...then Hewson followed through with it, and then it was introduced down the track.
Are the ALP going to get rid of the GST now they are in power?
Yeah right!

And as for WorkChoices.....I'm telling you now....this is going to be REALLY interesting.
There will be some changes and modifications, but I don't think it will change that much, if Rudd is the 'economic conservative' he is making out.
But it will all come down to whether the ALP have the guts to confront the Unions, which in turn could mean more strikes.
Plus our mining boom over in WA won't be happy if the WorkChoices are ripped up and we go back to Union dominated workplaces.
I think this will be the major battle coming up for Rudd and co.
Interesting times ahead.

who is gonna help me clean up? and is that SS tone over there under a pile of brown bombers?

Six Pack said:
who is gonna help me clean up? and is that SS tone over there under a pile of brown bombers?

Go and get us a coffee....this is the after-party party...what sort of host are you? :hihi

Liverpool said:
Go and get us a coffee....this is the after-party party...what sort of host are you? :hihi

Seems to me there not gracious in there victory,

not even offering a coffee. :hihi

i got the espresso machine going but u guys are just standing around talking politics and didnt notice. get a bucket of ice water for SS.

U2Tigers said:
Seems to me there not gracious in there victory,
not even offering a coffee. :hihi

The coffee company is out on strike mate....no coffee....have to put up with a Lipton's tea... :hihi