The Farce Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Farce Thread

Miles Farce must end this week.
With Astbury punted for the season by cruel fate, Miles must be the chosen one to fill his spot. This will allow maybe Banfield to get a gig after round 11 as the allowed Rookie upgrade.

End the Thomas over Miles Farce!

tommystigers said:
Miles Farce must end this week.
With Astbury punted for the season by cruel fate, Miles must be the chosen one to fill his spot. This will allow maybe Banfield to get a gig after round 11 as the allowed Rookie upgrade.

End the Thomas over Miles Farce!

I don't share the Banfield love, he hasn't exactly set the VFL alight. I know we need a quick forward goal sneak but that is what Madonna was when we recruited him, before he joined everyone else in the back line. With Astbury gone and Chaplin even 'goner' we need to cover that space with another big bodied defender. Darrou for mine, he has been putting in serviceable performances for a couple of seasons now.

Just checked the stats, Banfield 2 goals in 6 matches in the VFL. I can't see him being the saviour of the 1's at this stage.

I'm inducting into this thread Jack's potential relegation to the seconds for daring to question Hardwick's game plan.

Hardwick can talk about unity, but there's been little of that on the field, and he ultimately holds the can for that. Can Hardwick be relegated to the reserves until he gets some match-day form?

It's the coach. It's the team. It's the game plan. It's unity. It's the vibe.

It's all a farce.

buenavista said:
I don't share the Banfield love, he hasn't exactly set the VFL alight. I know we need a quick forward goal sneak but that is what Madonna was when we recruited him, before he joined everyone else in the back line. With Astbury gone and Chaplin even 'goner' we need to cover that space with another big bodied defender. Darrou for mine, he has been putting in serviceable performances for a couple of seasons now.
I agree with you there. Darrou's form has shown that he deserves to be looked at at senior level. Banfield hasn't done much so far, other than to maybe prove Brisbane were right in delisting him in the first place.

Banfield has been playing a fair bit away from the goals, so no surprise he hasn't kicked many.

It is also wrong to categorise Madonna as a quick forward, Macca isn't quick, he isn't Billy Nichols but he has only average pace. Banfield is very quick and in a forward line where the ball is coming in quickly he will cause headaches.

buenavista said:
Just checked the stats, Banfield 2 goals in 6 matches in the VFL. I can't see him being the saviour of the 1's at this stage.

It doesnt help when the coaches decide to once again play a forward (Banfield) in the backline

btoz_01 said:
It doesnt help when the coaches decide to once again play a forward (Banfield) in the backline
That could be it. We need a decent coach for the VFL side. Can't we get Andy Collins over?

Ghost of 29 said:
Banfield is very quick and in a forward line where the ball is coming in quickly he will cause headaches.

Clark's comment on Banfield after the last VFL match
Played another good game, but fumbled a bit below his knees, which he’s working on at the moment. He missed a couple of goals, but we were pleased with his energy and commitment.

Compare that to his comments on Darrou
Played another fantastic game at full back. He totally clamped one of their key forwards. He did some good spoils and won some good contests. He’s going well.

But that wasn't really my point, Banfield for Astbury doesn't do it for me. With Astbury out and Chaplin might as well be out, what happens if Rance breaks down?

buenavista said:
Clark's comment on Banfield after the last VFL match
Played another good game, but fumbled a bit below his knees, which he’s working on at the moment. He missed a couple of goals, but we were pleased with his energy and commitment.

Compare that to his comments on Darrou
Played another fantastic game at full back. He totally clamped one of their key forwards. He did some good spoils and won some good contests. He’s going well.

But that wasn't really my point, Banfield for Astbury doesn't do it for me. With Astbury out and Chaplin might as well be out, what happens if Rance breaks down?
Darrou's not really the ideal replacement for Astbury, but he'd be better than anyone else there at present. Drop Chaplin because he really should be, elevate Darrou and bring in Grimes as well and that allows you to drop Chaplin and have a look at Darrou. Who knows he may even turn into a decent defender if he gets given a few games at the highest level.

My point was that there are three options available. King LTI Astbury LTI and Round 12 elevation.

Miles could come in for Astbury (rest of the season), Banfield for King to see what he can do, and Darrou for round 12 (rest of the season). It's not as though there are players keeping any of them out due to blistering form.

CarnTheTiges said:
Darrou's not really the ideal replacement for Astbury, but he'd be better than anyone else there at present. Drop Chaplin because he really should be, elevate Darrou and bring in Grimes as well and that allows you to drop Chaplin and have a look at Darrou. Who knows he may even turn into a decent defender if he gets given a few games at the highest level.

In the form Astbury was in, we don't have anybody as an ideal replacement. I agree on the Grimes for Chaplin move, I have said that on a few threads, Grimes is a good defender but not the player to stand the gorillas.

The thing is, the club said when he was recruited, Chaplin would be able to stand the gorillas and free up Rance. This year he hasn't, Astbury had been doing that and I am not sure what has happened to Chaplin but he appears totally devoid of any confidence (and please anybody reading this, don't bother to reply "it's Dimma's game plan, it's Dimma's game plan") so I can't see him standing up. Therefore we need a strong, big bodied defender and Darrou is certainly that.

tommystigers said:
My point was that there are three options available. King LTI Astbury LTI and Round 12 elevation.

Miles could come in for Astbury (rest of the season), Banfield for King to see what he can do, and Darrou for round 12 (rest of the season). It's not as though there are players keeping any of them out due to blistering form.

Someone can correct me here, but aren't we only allowed to elevate 2 rookies in a season?

buenavista said:
Someone can correct me here, but aren't we only allowed to elevate 2 rookies in a season?

Don't think so, seeing as we have already elevated 3 (Orren, Thomas, Miles)

If we're tanking we're doing a bloody good job.

... woops, wrong thread

davidrodan said:
Don't think so, seeing as we have already elevated 3 (Orren, Thomas, Miles)

I wasn't suggesting only 2 total, I thought we could only choose to elevate 2, plus cover for LTI's. We elevated Orren & Thomas. Miles comes in for King as a LTI and we can bring up another to cover Astbury as an LTI.

But anyway I think I am wrong, a little bit of research indicates we can still elevate another after Round 11, even though we already elevated 2 at the start of the season.

At the end of the day, I guess it comes down to the Football Dept making a call on value for money. When we elevate a rookie, his salary increases.

buenavista said:
I wasn't suggesting only 2 total, I thought we could only choose to elevate 2, plus cover for LTI's. We elevated Orren & Thomas. Miles comes in for King as a LTI and we can bring up another to cover Astbury as an LTI.

But anyway I think I am wrong, a little bit of research indicates we can still elevate another after Round 11, even though we already elevated 2 at the start of the season.

At the end of the day, I guess it comes down to the Football Dept making a call on value for money. When we elevate a rookie, his salary increases.

You are kidding aren't you - we have a footy dept spending $20million a year. Upgrading a rookie (roughly $60k salary) to a junior list player $120 - $150K, pro rataed over half a season. We have just spent around $30 - $45k or around 0.2% of the footy dept's spend. Money wouldn't be the issue - maybe you were hinting at list management (contract timing for injured players and how an upgrade looks)

Must admit I am nsure why Miles came in for King when Astbury is gone for the season and King is due back in round 15.

PBoRSM said:
You are kidding aren't you - we have a footy dept spending $20million a year. Upgrading a rookie (roughly $60k salary) to a junior list player $120 - $150K, pro rataed over half a season. We have just spent around $30 - $45k or around 0.2% of the footy dept's spend. Money wouldn't be the issue - maybe you were hinting at list management (contract timing for injured players and how an upgrade looks)

Must admit I am nsure why Miles came in for King when Astbury is gone for the season and King is due back in round 15.

As it happens no I wasn't kidding, it is the responsibility of every business to evaluate decisions. What is the point of elevating a rookie if they don't think they will play him, whoever it is. If someone is tearing it apart like Miles, easy decision but say Banfield, who in my opinion hasn't done enough yet we shouldn't elevate him just because we can. Then Darrou is another decision, I think he has done enough but I don't make the decisions.