The Farce Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Farce Thread

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
the free agency/trade period has become the biggest farce in footy.

on day 1 of FA we get a couple of signings announced that had been pre-negotiated.
on day 1 of the TP we get a couple of trades announced that had been pre-negotiated.
then you get a scurry of movement in the last 24 hours.
in between you have the best part of 3 weeks of absolute nothingness.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

in reality the AFL drags it on for this long to keep footy relevant in the offseason. i get why they do this, but untimately this is painting the league in a negative light. 19 days of FA/TP can and must be chopped.

#farce

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Ian4 said:
the free agency/trade period has become the biggest farce in footy.

on day 1 of FA we get a couple of signings announced that had been pre-negotiated.
on day 1 of the TP we get a couple of trades announced that had been pre-negotiated.
then you get a scurry of movement in the last 24 hours.
in between you have the best part of 3 weeks of absolute nothingness.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

in reality the AFL drags it on for this long to keep footy relevant in the offseason. i get why they do this, but untimately this is painting the league in a negative light. 19 days of FA/TP can and must be chopped.

#farce

disagree.
it gives clubs time to discuss options and gives players time to consider options. if the trade period was 3 days like some have suggested things like medical checks on players would be near impossible.
i would guess a lot of time is spent with clubs talking about trades they are looking at, then considering flow on trades.
for example a short trade period would make trades like those for pick 21- GWS to Lions to Cats to Saints a lot harder.

really the only reason the trade period seems to long is cos too many fans pay too much attention. if everyone sat back and waited to see what happened the length of the trade period would not cause angst.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
As a supporter, trade period seems too long. As a club official I think they would be happy with the time period to conclude sometimes complex trade discussions.

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
tigerlove said:
. As a club official I think they would be happy with the time period to conclude sometimes complex trade discussions.

I think one day would suit our officials, just long enough to say to clubs we aren't interested. I can't cop that we were busy behind the scenes etc, we are a big Melb club who has made the finals the past 2 seasons, we I would have thought would have been a great attractive club to players

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
French Tiger said:
I think one day would suit our officials, just long enough to say to clubs we aren't interested. I can't cop that we were busy behind the scenes etc, we are a big Melb club who has made the finals the past 2 seasons, we I would have thought would have been a great attractive club to players

I don't know how anyone can really make bonafide judgements without being there behind the scenes. I don't doubt there is a lot that goes on that we just don't know about.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Brodders17 said:
really the only reason the trade period seems to long is cos too many fans pay too much attention. if everyone sat back and waited to see what happened the length of the trade period would not cause angst.

disagree. i haven't paid any attention, but its been shoved in my face by SEN, newspapers, social media, etc. and before you say 'switch off,' i actually have.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Brodders17 said:
if the trade period was 3 days like some have suggested things like medical checks on players would be near impossible.
Just imagine the hysteria Brodders.

Three day trade period n the Dees rock up n offer Trenners n 23 for pick 12. Tiger staff take a quick peek over the shoulder n behind the door to make sure no one is listening in then quickly sign on for the deal. Twenty three year old midfielder with strong leadership qualities, former pick two plus a pick twenty three set of steak knives. Of course his sore foot is fine, Dees told us he's all good to go for season 2015.

Wouldn't just be chook *smile* turning up on the door step at Tigerland.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Despite Jimbob's proven athleticism and demonstrably superior form Handbrake continues to play Chaplin at full back or even more hilariously up forward.

Now I don't normally buy into the whole Hardwick favourites conspiracy but on this one I'm calling FARCE.

Jimbob for Round 1!

ninjahaha

Sponsored by Takeda Pharmaceutical
Feb 22, 2014
the shadows
Dyer'ere said:
Ackshelly ninja called FARCE first.

I echo those sentiments.

:beer

Im guessing morris gave Chaplin the photo's after they where removed from the leadership group!

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
JesusRifleman.jpg

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
This Jimbob has as many faces as he does talents.

ninjahaha said:
:beer

Im guessing morris gave Chaplin the photo's after they where removed from the leadership group!

There are always photos, Tombei. ;D

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
There was a famous ninja in the 60s called Tombei the Mist, ninja. My reference to Karol Conka's song was accidental. I'd never heard of it.

Here's a bit more about her - Karoline de Freitas Oliveira, nascida em 1993, em Curitiba, escrevia desde pequena, não tendo em sua família ninguém ligado a música, somente sua mãe que escrevia poemas.

;D