The Geelong Cants | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Geelong Cants

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Don't know how Geelong supporters do it actually. Dominating the home and away season every year finishing top then having their hopes crushed when they choke during finals. This year will be no different.

Reactions: 4 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I want to beat their best side, they'll have 0 excuses, which will be hard for them to fathom. I know fans of theirs that are shitting themselves at the thought of playing us in the Finals.

nah. We have injuries, they have injuries. We have a fitness team, they have a fitness team. We have good luck, they have bad luck. Or vica versa.

No-one remembers who was out injured on game day except bitter fans. We only remember who got the glory.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Don't know how Geelong supporters do it actually. Dominating the home and away season every year finishing top then having their hopes crushed when they choke during finals. This year will be no different.

It's gonna be sweeeet

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
In a similar position we rested Lynch and lost the first final to Brisbane but ended up winning the Granny. I would love for them to risk Cameron and have issues further down the line.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Just read the team that has won the 1v4 qualifying final has lost its home prelim in 5 of the last 6 years, i.e. since they brought in the pre-finals bye

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Blighty when asked who he’d choose between Hawkins and Riewoldt. never knew Malcolm had such a sense of humour, “if push came to shove” :ROFLMAO:

5611617F-CABE-44F5-B1CE-6C7946E7322C.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
No mention of Jack vs Hawkins in finals.
Give me someone who can perform in finals.
I’ll have Hawkins in the grand stands.

Reactions: 6 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Blighty when asked who he’d choose between Hawkins and Riewoldt. never knew Malcolm had such a sense of humour, “if push came to shove” :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 16523

Personally reckon he is showing his bias and his comment doesn’t make much sense. But don’t know the context in which he was asked.

However, this, this, this and this again:

No mention of Jack vs Hawkins in finals.
Give me someone who can perform in finals.
I’ll have Hawkins in the grand stands.

Jack has the one thing that Hawkins doesn't that is critical in finals. He can apply defensive pressure. Jack's kicking for goal in both 2017 and 2020 was not at its best (his last goal against Geelong excepted), but he created a number of goals in both games through outstanding forward defensive pressure acts.

Jack is also a much better contested overhead pack mark. Hawkins is excellent one on one, and very dangerous on the lead. But under the pressure of finals and more so the grandfinal, only the really elite players skills stand up to their normal level for the majority of the game. This means it is critical, especially in your forward line, that you have players who can make something out of half chances. Hawkins (and Dangerfield) are not fit to tie Jack's bootlaces in this regard.

In the 2017 Grandfinal in particular, Jack took big pack marks in situations where the contest was 50/50 at best. It kept the ball in our forward line and gave his teammates confidence.

If you can crowd Hawkins in a contest and cut off the space he has to lead into, you can greatly reduce his effectiveness (and confidence). The thing is, as we have shown time and time again, you do not need great defenders to play that sort of game, you need discipline.

Attacking skills win Coleman's and Brownlows, defensive skills win flags. It is about time we added it to the death and taxes argument as a given.

In all seriousness, if you had the choice, which one do you go for? Depends what you want. The evidence as I see it suggests one of these guys is elite at getting you to finals but falls away when there, the other is very good through the year and simply wins finals for you.

It is easy to say in hindsight, but I know which way I am choosing. And it is not the guy who can play in the ruck!

Reactions: 4 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Jack always has a plan when he is shooting for goal. Figuratively, you can see the cogs turning in his head. How far out? What angle? drop punt? Banana? Kick around the corner? He calculates the odds and goes with the best option that he can figure out.

Hawkins just kicks it. He rarely plans anything.

That is a good trait if you are an instinctive footballer like Dusty Martin. He doesn’t plan either but he never second guesses himself. He just goes with it. He innately knows where everyone is and where the goals are.

Hawkins does not.

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Jack can push up to wings and use his footy nous to impact contests and his vision when field kicking is something to behold.
I maybe bias but Jack has alot more strings to his bow.