The global swing to the right :-) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The global swing to the right :-)

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
As others have stated when Trump got in it was a massive smile you to the establishment and that they didn't want more of the same. I think voters around the world are saying time and time again we won't vote for stability we will churn you over if you don't perform. This is what I think has happened again and will happen again and again.

I don't think we will see any more 10 year Prime Ministers in our history.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
antman said:
Is the ship sinking? Australia has just had the longest recorded period of any country without a recession in modern world history. Crime - been going down since the 1970s. Standards of living? Rising since the 1950s. War? The number of people killed in wars globally has fallen drastically since last century. Terrorism? Increasing slowly but still way way lower than the 1970s.

A lot of people would dispute the above as they are not too keen on Australian history let alone politics.

Dan Andrews under his watch is allowing one trend we have enjoyed to be going the other way. He might need to get his government and police force to speak to NSW.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Is Brexit still gonna happen? Hopefully it does and other countries also look to leave.

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
Harry said:
Is Brexit still gonna happen? Hopefully it does and other countries also look to leave.

Didn't they have a referendum on it? The people have spoken. If it doesn't happen as per the will of the people, you have to question the legitimacy of democracy.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Brexit is still on, although some are saying a "soft Brexit" is better than a "hard Brexit" now given the election result. However the Brits are dreaming, the Europeans will force a hard Brexit anyway.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
jb03 said:
The British Elections is like the Australian Election where the losing team celebrated like they had won simply because they didnt lose by as much as everyone thuoght they would.

all about expectation jb. if everyone thinks you have no chance of making the 8 and you just get nutted in the GF, nobody is going to come down on you too hard.

But its a fair point.

Big turnout of young people, good to see they've had a gutful of the reactionary fossils determining their future.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
tigersnake said:
all about expectation jb. if everyone thinks you have no chance of making the 8 and you just get nutted in the GF, nobody is going to come down on you too hard.

But its a fair point.

Big turnout of young people, good to see they've had a gutful of the reactionary fossils determining their future.

Also given May called the snap election to increase her majority, but got a hung parliament and had to to into a coalition with the terrorist-linked DUP, it's a big fail for her and she might have to go as party leader. It's rather like Turnbull having to go into a coalition with One Nation except even worse.

Corbyn on the other hand has gone from being a pariah in his own party to the potential messiah.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
1eyedtiger said:
Didn't they have a referendum on it? The people have spoken. If it doesn't happen as per the will of the people, you have to question the legitimacy of democracy.

Politics has nothing to do with democracy.

I voted Brexit and Conservative, so I would expect May to continue on as she has. (Albeit with a bit of input from the DUP now.)

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
antman said:
Also given May called the snap election to increase her majority, but got a hung parliament and had to to into a coalition with the terrorist-linked DUP, it's a big fail for her and she might have to go as party leader. It's rather like Turnbull having to go into a coalition with One Nation except even worse.

Corbyn on the other hand has gone from being a pariah in his own party to the potential messiah.

Corbyn offered free tuition fees, and the all knowing students lapped it up with no thought as to who or how it was to be paid.

He knew he wasn't going to win, so could offer the world. Classic opposition tactics.

Dianne Abbott as Home Secretary? What a joke that would've been.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Midsy said:
Corbyn offered free tuition fees, and the all knowing students lapped it up with no thought as to who or how it was to be paid.

He knew he wasn't going to win, so could offer the world. Classic opposition tactics.

Dianne Abbott as Home Secretary? What a joke that would've been.

Maybe. Also Brexit (where young people didn't vote in large numbers) also got them off their backsides to vote in this election because they now realise politics matters.

On the DUP - Northern Ireland definitely wants a soft border with Ireland ie the EU - as they benefit from the free flow of people and trade this provides. This is absolutely counter to the Tories "Hard Brexit" - of course May was a remainer, but took the opportunity to jump in after Cameron resigned and most of the other candidates jibbed it.

And we may yet see Boris as PM - now that would be a joke eh Midsy? :hihi

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
year of the tiger said:
Abbott you knew what you got. Turnbell has dramatically changed his views on some fundamental issues during his public life.

As much as i detest Abbott's policies, at least he is willing to stand by his ideals. Turnbull has sold his soul for power. Willing to give up everything he stands for to remain as PM. That's why he has been a worse PM in what has been the worst government in my lifetime.

MB78 said:
Dan Andrews under his watch is allowing one trend we have enjoyed to be going the other way. He might need to get his government and police force to speak to NSW.

Dan Andrews has been the opposite. Doing an absolutely sterling job. Victoria is booming with projects on the go everywhere. Creating more jobs than the other states combined. Large surpluses. Keeping his promises. Etc, etc.

And before people play the crime chestnut, let's not forget the cuts Naptime made to police resources. Don't get me wrong, the crime situation is alarming and not good enough, but it can't be fixed overnight.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Ian4 said:
As much as i detest Abbott's policies, at least he is willing to stand by his ideals. Turnbull has sold his soul for power. Willing to give up everything he stands for to remain as PM. That's why he has been a worse PM in what has been the worst government in my lifetime.

Dan Andrews has been the opposite. Doing an absolutely sterling job. Victoria is booming with projects on the go everywhere. Creating more jobs than the other states combined. Large surpluses. Keeping his promises. Etc, etc.

And before people play the crime chestnut, let's not forget the cuts Naptime made to police resources. Don't get me wrong, the crime situation is alarming and not good enough, but it can't be fixed overnight.
Yes, Labor good, Liberal bad...... ::)

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Boris wasn't ready after Brexit as they were surprised to win. Reckon he has had more time to think about it and prepare himself for it. It is only a matter of time is my guess and the poms will have Boris as PM.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
tigersnake said:

But its a fair point.

Yep those reactionary fossils that fought for the freedoms we now all enjoy. The young obviously know better.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
antman said:
And we may yet see Boris as PM - now that would be a joke eh Midsy? :hihi

I'm actually a Boris fan, but not as PM.

Perception is everything in politics, and unfortunately he's perceived as a bit of a buffoon. It's a shame because generally I like his Politics.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Harry said:
Yep those reactionary fossils that fought for the freedoms we now all enjoy. The young obviously know better.

Old people good, young people bad

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
tigertim said:
Yes, Labor good, Liberal bad...... ::)

Actually I'm not a Labor voter. Haven't given them my primary vote for at least a dozen years. And before you ask, never voted for the greens either.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Ian4 said:
Actually I'm not a Labor voter. Haven't given them my primary vote for at least a dozen years. And before you ask, never voted for the greens either.

One Nation?, Family First? Motoring Enthusiasts Party?