The Key Questions | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Key Questions

As others have identified, pressure is a concern. Low last year, which meant that while we were the highest-scoring team, we were also scored against more easily than any time since 2016.

George, Butler and The Prince are gone from the forward line, but then Butler only played in the 2017 flag, and George played wing in 2020 after Vlastuin went down and KMac went back. Still, a lot rides on MoJu's teleportation traits. Can Cumbo provide pressure? Can Juddy? The Chimp was our leading midfield pressure player for years, can he still do it at 33 in the forward line? Who takes over his ferocious midfield role? Taranto is hunting the ball more than the man so I guess it's down to Hopper and Graham. Hopper's transition running is poor so his pressure will come at the coalface of clearance - and he'll be hunting the ball too. So in-play midfield pressure will likely be led by Graham and Pickett, with everyone else tasked with doing their bit.

Pressure is a mindset. But you also have to be able to repeat sprint.

As for clearances, we have a reputation for not bothering with them, but a look at the 2020 finals series says we can (could?) when we want to. We only lost the clearances by 1 in the loss to Brisbane, while being +10 in contested ball. We were +3 and +6 respectively in the semi against the Saints, +12 for clearances and -6 for contested ball against Port after being well down in both at half-time, and +6 for clearances and level for contested possessions in the granny.

I expect it will take time for Taranto and Hopper to gel with the rest of the team and build the intuitive understanding and in-team predictability, but in theory we should be able to be a strong clearance team. However if the opposition rucks dominate and can hit it wherever they please, you're up sh!t creek.

Which brings me to the Nank problem. If he's fit he's still pretty much an automatic selection, but we'll have to beat Melbourne to win the flag and they have two rucks who have routinely flogged him over the years. Melbourne might just flog everyone out of the guts. They are the team to beat methinks.

Reactions: 4 users
It is very hard to know what will happen with the Tigers in 2023.
Apart from anything else I think that this season shapes as the most open for many years.
I feel like we could finish outside the 8 but we also could win the flag. However I think there are probably 8-9 teams who could do the same

Reactions: 3 users
My 2 major concerns are:

* we filled a need with the recruitment of Taranto & Hopper..........however, how effective will this be in our rucks don't get first use?
* flowing on from Pt 1, if we lose ruck taps and the ball continues to get into our backline at speed, I'm not convinced we are able to stop high scores.

So much is riding on our new recruits and ruck situation. Healthy, we make the eight no problem, Top 4 is where the struggle intensifies.

It is very hard to know what will happen with the Tigers in 2023.
Apart from anything else I think that this season shapes as the most open for many years.
I feel like we could finish outside the 8 but we also could win the flag. However I think there are probably 8-9 teams who could do the same
I reckon if we drop some games similar to last year Stkilda, Nth, GC and Sydney.
Bottom 6.
We will fall away like we did after the bye in 2021.

Just on pressure, guess who was our leading tackler in the 2020 grand final?

Shai Bolton, with 7.

Short and Nank equal second with 6.

(We laid 73 tackles to Geelong's 51. Pre STAAAAND. SHocking got the job done.)

Jack Riewoldt was the leading tackler on the ground in the 2017 grand final. Caddy, Edwards and Houli led the way in the 2019 grand final with 6 each. A bloke called Hopper had 9 for the opposition, and TimTam Tarantino had 7 while also having 30 disposals, 5 clearances and a match-leading 15 contested possessions. At 21 years of age. In a flogged team.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Getting Tarranto & Hopper isn't a failure if we do Jack shiit this year.
They have 7 yrs to help us win a flag

1 question: Did the gastro problem we just had at the club have an effect in the game against Melbourne?

Surprised the negative views on Cotch in the side and playing midfield.
Lets remembe that last season he was our #2 mid and was terrific. It looks like now he'll be #6. When the whips are cracking he'll be there
Last year he was super consistent and performed at a high level. Very impressive.

Reactions: 1 user
Surprised the negative views on Cotch in the side and playing midfield.
Lets remembe that last season he was our #2 mid and was terrific. It looks like now he'll be #6. When the whips are cracking he'll be there

I think the concern is more about him playing forward, I'd love to see him remain a midfielder full-time.

Reactions: 1 users
1 question: Did the gastro problem we just had at the club have an effect in the game against Melbourne?
We didn’t bring pressure. So let’s hope that was it. Melbourne ran from behind/spread and created overlaps very easily. Speaks to lack of effort to chase / mental awareness / cherry picking hoping someone else will win the ball etc.

The key question for me is:
Have we learned how to win the close games?

I couldn’t handle another season of being rolled by chump teams because we kept them in the game or couldn’t kick straight or gifted dumb 50’s or fade-outs or…

The first few rounds team setup and how they perform together will certainly be interesting. Ruck, midfield, and forward structures could be anything and anyone and rotate like a rotisserie chicken.

Issue for me practice games or not I'm seeing the same problems as last 2 seasons getting cut open in transition and lazy defending , lack of pressure, not enough polish in our skills and silly frees.

All things being equal, if we don't finish top 4 this year then I think the alarm bells are well and truly ringing that it was a poor decision.
I don't think so. You need age balance in any squad and we had a hole to fill. I think having two leading mids for the next 7 years is important, flag or not.

As others have said we will take a bit of time to gel. We have basically put in a new engine into our midfield. Hopefully we can pull off a good number of wins whilst operating at 70%

Cotchin could make a very handy sub at times.
Imagine him charging in after being brought on after half time and the team needing a lift.

Cotchin could make a very handy sub at times.
Imagine him charging in after being brought on after half time and the team needing a lift.
Or throwing him a challenge of shutting a midfielder down. I suspect his stats might suffer but impact might grow

For me it is very very simple. We have the cattle. Do we have the magic? Can we gel as a team and go all in team first, That chemistry we found in 2017. That is the HUGE question. our year will be determined in the mind of the players individually and collectively. The positive genuine energy to do it for each other regardless of the cost.
The Fear of loss or someone getting injured is a negative force.....roll the dice play to win. if people get injured so be it. make do, adapt..Believe!! someone will step up if our attitude is right....Townsend in 2017.
Yep - that’s my thinking too. Whatever changes to our game plan and personnel we bring this year - it matters, but the magic of a team gelling is the real stuff that matters. Is our magic the blackest? Can we out-voodoo the rest? My crystal ball says yes.

Biggest question for me is on dusty, Cotchin and Riewoldt all in the same forward line. I am pessimistic about their effectiveness together. I hope the coaching group and these players are willing to look at actual performance vs sentiment because we a have a few young kids with pace, skillz and enthusiasm who would support lynch very nicely and create a bit of buzz which is really lacking.

Reactions: 3 users