Castagna announces retirement | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Castagna announces retirement

Three-time Richmond premiership forward Jason Castagna has announced his retirement from AFL football effective immediately.

Guess we have a mid year spot open up. For all his failings he was a big part of our 3 premierships

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
I wonder if they had a chat with him and told him it was likely he would spend the year in the ressies. 300-400k is a big ticket to give up even if playing in the two's

Reactions: 10 users
Not across all the ins and outs but I'm assuming we have lodged our final list.
A few weeks earlier would have been ideal.
Still, he wasn't perfect but he was integral.
Had he kicked straight in 2019 gf he would have gone close to a Norm Smith

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Thank you Jason. You can be proud, knowing you did help with the culture, the playing group and your input assisted in 3 premierships. Against the Giants, you kicked 6 points, but you were everywhere on that day. Well done.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Wowser. Thanks, George. The Chaos King hangs up the crown.

Premiership centre-half-forward, premiership flanker, premiership winger. Not a hell of a lot of players in the history of the game would have scored five times in one grand final (even fewer while getting 20+ disposals).

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Not across all the ins and outs but I'm assuming we have lodged our final list.
A few weeks earlier would have been ideal.
Still, he wasn't perfect but he was integral.
Had he kicked straight in 2019 gf he would have gone close to a Norm Smith
Rance retired just after list lodgement as well

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Well. That's a shock. I'm a bit sad about this. His 0.5 2019 gf effort was really impressive. (Except for the 0.5 of course.)

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder how much his injured hamstring pushed him to this decision. Maybe he wasn't too sure if he'd continue on at the end of the year, and with the injury and the rehab needed, maybe all that came together hence giving it away now.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd say most on here were thinking how he was going to get a game this year.

Big Ben and Alex had something on the go post-footy, maybe he does too.

Good luck Jason, you'll always be a 3-times premiership hero!

Reactions: 3 users