The new era: changes v Port | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The new era: changes v Port

It's very much got a 2016 ring to it, but with a big difference. I think we aren't in such a bad state. If Lynch and Gibcus had played the majority of the season, we would have made bottom 8, with a few teams worried. BUT, we aren't and so we need to start the process of regeneration, and with a new coach and new ideas. The result doesn't matter, its ALL about seeing a few new kids having their first game. Things can change very quickly in AFL. Look at Geelong From premiers to *smile*..;)

Reactions: 4 users
It'll be interesting how Port approach the game tomorrow.

They can't make top 2 now, so do they still go hell for leather for the win, or will they take it easy and try and avoid getting injured.

Reactions: 1 user
I wish we’d been this brave at Round 15.

Can‘t tell if it a changing of the guard and a statement or a meaningless final game.

Reactions: 7 users
I wish we’d been this brave at Round 15.

Can‘t tell if it a changing of the guard and a statement or a meaningless final game.
I agree with your comments. We have been carrying too many underachievers for too long. These kids have nothing to lose and everything to gain in this match. Just see how Sam Banks has progressed since playing in the seniors. I am not expecting anything dramatic tomorrow but want to see a bit of fight and hopefully some green shoots of a bright future

Reactions: 2 users
If Lynch and Gibcus had played the majority of the season, we would have made bottom 8,
Pretty sure we've made bottom 8 without the Lynchman or Gibber playing, was there a point to the comment?
Things can change very quickly in AFL. Look at Geelong From premiers to *smile*..;)
Similar to what we achieved in 2021, hope the Moggies at least have the decency to follow the trend we've set n turn to crap for a bunch of years to come.

Pretty sure we've made bottom 8 without the Lynchman or Gibber playing, was there a point to the comment?

Similar to what we achieved in 2021, hope the Moggies at least have the decency to follow the trend we've set n turn to crap for a bunch of years to come.
AFL will step in and help them out

When was the last time we started a game so early? the races don't even start this early.

I'm off soon for early beers and the footy, pray for me my friends, could be ugly today......

• Wow
Jeez, if we aren’t in as bad a state as we were at the end of 2016 we are going ok seeing we won the flag the next year :eek:
I think we’re in a much worse state. When the Swans flogged us in 2016, we had a dual Coleman medallist and a Brownlow medallist in the team as well as Dusty about ready to hit his peak. What we did in the off season really set us up. I can’t see us making those sort of moves this year now they seem to have adopted a ‘don’t rock the boat’ philosophy.

• Sad
I think we’re in a much worse state. When the Swans flogged us in 2016, we had a dual Coleman medallist and a Brownlow medallist in the team as well as Dusty about ready to hit his peak. What we did in the off season really set us up. I can’t see us making those sort of moves this year now they seem to have adopted a ‘don’t rock the boat’ philosophy.
It didn’t feel like it at the time. There was a wave of negativity around our club then and plenty on this site who felt that way as well. It was very much doom and gloom.
I suspect the feeling of negativity was far greater at the end of 2016 than it is now, perhaps a few flags makes us more relaxed.
I don’t know if we will bounce back next year but what I do know is that the difference between where we are now and finals is smaller than we think but I also believe the difference between where we are now and bottom 4 is small. To me it could go either way because the gap between top and bottom is smaller than it has ever been in the afl.
2024 is going to be a very interesting year for the tigers, we could be just re-setting but we could also be bottoming out.

Reactions: 1 users
It didn’t feel like it at the time. There was a wave of negativity around our club then and plenty on this site who felt that way as well. It was very much doom and gloom.
I suspect the feeling of negativity was far greater at the end of 2016 than it is now, perhaps a few flags makes us more relaxed.
I don’t know if we will bounce back next year but what I do know is that the difference between where we are now and finals is smaller than we think but I also believe the difference between where we are now and bottom 4 is small. To me it could go either way because the gap between top and bottom is smaller than it has ever been in the afl.
2024 is going to be a very interesting year for the tigers, we could be just re-setting but we could also be bottoming out.
It did feel awful and negative at the time, but we were in a far better position with those players in their prime. We had a good position in the draft which enabled us to pick up Prestia. The off field moves (shaking up the coaches, bringing in Balme, the strong backing of Hardwick by Peggy and Benny) were very important. We don’t have that this time. I also fear they’ll appoint McQualter to keep it stable, and that will impact the much needed rebuild. I can see McQualter being sacked during his 2nd season in charge while we’re at the bottom of the ladder, and we’ll be starting from ground zero again, while competing with the new Tassie team for the scraps of the draft, they’ll also be gifted with the best off field resources the AFL can get for them, while the rest of us deal with the soft cap and what is left.

It did feel awful and negative at the time, but we were in a far better position with those players in their prime. We had a good position in the draft which enabled us to pick up Prestia. The off field moves (shaking up the coaches, bringing in Balme, the strong backing of Hardwick by Peggy and Benny) were very important. We don’t have that this time. I also fear they’ll appoint McQualter to keep it stable, and that will impact the much needed rebuild. I can see McQualter being sacked during his 2nd season in charge while we’re at the bottom of the ladder, and we’ll be starting from ground zero again, while competing with the new Tassie team for the scraps of the draft, they’ll also be gifted with the best off field resources the AFL can get for them, while the rest of us deal with the soft cap and what is left.
I know why you say all of this CTT but I prefer to wait and see rather than let negativity overtake me (not a criticism, each to their own!)

We still have some really good players in our team and we have a number of young players who have shown much more in 2022 than they did in 2023. This time last year I was very positive about Gibcus, Cumberland, Sonsie and MRJ and we got very little from any of them this year. I also think we will see more from Taranto and Hopper in particular next year and so much depends on Lynch coming good. I also like Banks, Brown, Ryan and Bauer a lot.

To me it isn't all doom and gloom. It may be but I am not there yet

I know why you say all of this CTT but I prefer to wait and see rather than let negativity overtake me (not a criticism, each to their own!)

We still have some really good players in our team and we have a number of young players who have shown much more in 2022 than they did in 2023. This time last year I was very positive about Gibcus, Cumberland, Sonsie and MRJ and we got very little from any of them this year. I also think we will see more from Taranto and Hopper in particular next year and so much depends on Lynch coming good. I also like Banks, Brown, Ryan and Bauer a lot.

To me it isn't all doom and gloom. It may be but I am not there yet
I guess it also comes down to faith in the team’s support structure with the young ones coming through. Gibcus has been cruelled by injury, and my hope is that he’ll come back and hold down the KPD with support from Young, and that enables us to have Balta partner Lynch. However, part of the reason our youngsters are not coming on, I believe, is coaching. If this doesn’t change, then neither will we. Also, as we have seen, the AFL will give us no favours whatsoever.