The Richmond 2017 AFL Grand Final thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Richmond 2017 AFL Grand Final thread

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
1. 2017 - you just can't beat the the feeling in the last quarter when I finally let myself believe we would win after 37 years.....I couldn't stop crying from that point to the singing of the song (which I reckon played at least 10 times after the game)

2. 2020 - the game was more impressive than 2017 and our ability to come back was more impressive than what we did in 2017. My first B2B in my lifetime. Plus it was in my own backyard. It should be my number 1 but I can't let it beat 2017. I have separated them on the length of time I was in tears after the game....2020 tears only lasted a few mins.

3. 2019 - only one I didn't see live. Looked like a perfect day for footy but the ease in which we did it probably makes it less memorable for me. We played schmick footy that day though.

Yeah this.

2019 we played really well and while the first quarter was a fairly even stalemate, the rest of the game was a procession.

I was at Punt Rd for both 2017 and 2019, 2017 was just magic. A ground full of Richmond supporters who had been down for decades deliriously happy with finally nailing a flag. Plus, I reckon there were quite a few of us there with our long suffering kids finally seeing a Richmond team who were not only at the pointy end but winning the damned thing (my daughter would have been 22 then, by her age we had 5 flags in my lifetime).

2020 was hard because of lockdown and the game in Brissie, my daughter and her (Richmond supporting) boyfriend were on Zoom from the other side of Melbourne. Great game and great comeback. Geelong just couldn't put us away in the first half. Similar to, but I would have to say not as good a game as, the 2019 PF.

Nothing beats breaking the drought.

DS

Reactions: 5 users

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
The big question is did you manage to cut one from the herd after the game WT?
Is this where I say something about not kissing and telling TBR? :cool:

I must say the one from the UK was very very neat.

My night end after half a bottle of Aberlour neat with my uncle and then proceeding to vomit all over myself and my sisters bed and having no recollection of it!

Another highlight was driving the 3 1/2 hours home with a terrible hangover listening to the ABC replay on the radio ( they don’t do it anymore on the Sunday unfortunately).

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Reliving these moments reminds me how much I want to see more. Will the renewed doubt from this year serve to heighten the experience again in 2022? I'd like to find out...

Reactions: 5 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Probably the highlight for me was the noise before the semi against cats in 2017. The ferocity was unexpected, and probably never heard before. the prelim might have been louder, but to me that was slightly staged.

i remember someone next to me saying we had it won , maybe late in the 3rd, my response was "NO, not yet". i dont think I was completely certain until really late. 2017 will always be the best.
The noise at the G that night WAS electrifying. In all my years of going to games of footy I've never heard anything like it. The Geelong players would have cringed on hearing the mighty Tiger Army roaring as the Cats entered the arena. That night was the game where Tiger tragics started to believe a premiership was in its grasp. What a magnificent finals series 2017 was.
Go Tigers!!

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004
The 2017 QF Vs The Cats my seats were down the front near The Geelong Cheer Squad how sweet it was giving it to some of them What a night Bloody Magnificent

Reactions: 4 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
I saw one final each live in each of the Premiership years.

17 Prelim - does anymore need to be said about this glorious evening? Best party I've ever been to.
19 - QF - A true priveldge watching the greatest finals player of all time put on a lazy in and out master-class.
20 GF - If it wasn't for covid it never would've happened. Again, I look back on my deathbed and think.... I was there, I saw the triple NSM win the 3rd in front of my eyeballs. The flag was handy too.

Reactions: 6 users

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
The 2017 QF Vs The Cats my seats were down the front near The Geelong Cheer Squad how sweet it was giving it to some of them What a night Bloody Magnificent
We were just outside the 50 where Dusty brushed off Stewart before 3/4 time, and where Cotch did that pirouette and goal in the last. Magic.

Reactions: 6 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
How sweet it was! Geelong had virtually owned us for years until then. I will never forget suffering through the GAblett Snr massacre of 14 goals at the G many years prior.

(Regrettably I also made the terrible mistake of going out to Waverly for the Jason Dunstall 17 goal debacle - it looked like us RFC supporters were going to witness a new game's goal-kicking record that day ... against the Tigers. He just missed it).

Last edited:

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Was it the 17 QF where Ellis when 110% for a loose ball and managed to smash Selwood? It was another key moment when you felt this was our game. The way the boys all ran to Ellis to celebrate the hit whereas as Joel was stunned he was on the ground, looked at the Ump, looked at Ellis, then looked at the Ump again in disbelief. Not one Cat went to their Skipper

Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Was it the 17 QF where Ellis when 110% for a loose ball and managed to smash Selwood? It was another key moment when you felt this was our game. The way the boys all ran to Ellis to celebrate the hit whereas as Joel was stunned he was on the ground, looked at the Ump, looked at Ellis, then looked at the Ump again in disbelief. Not one Cat went to their Skipper
It was Dangerfield he smashed into.

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
How sweet it was! Geelong had virtually owned us for years until then. I will never forget suffering through the GAblett Snr massacre of 14 goals at the G many years prior.
Hadn't beaten the Cats in 10 years - boy it felt good.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Was sittin the level above n slightly off to the side of the Moggies cheer squad that night. Reckon that was as feral n edgy a game as I've ever been to ( mighta just been me, but geez it felt on). Just seemed to be a raw n angry desperation for the boys to finally to put a stake in the heart of our nightmare bogey side. Simply knew we'd finally come good, the way we played footy that night. Was miles off dreamin we'd go for three flags, but I was certain we had the game to match anyone that finals series.

Reactions: 3 users

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Anyone got any audio of the crowd as the teams ran onto the ground? Geelong being booed onto the ground was amazing.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
just rewatching the 2017 GF for the 87th time. Guernica, The Sistine Chapel, Kind of Blue, Star Wars, Kubrick's entire filmography (except eyes wide shut), Wilson Pickett's primal screams with Duane Allman's guitar in Hey Jude... not much comes close to the sheer awesomeness of the tigers surge that day
A fantastic bump TT.

I'm loving everyones memories.

Last edited:

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Screaming

'Just give it to rioli!'

in the '17 prelim

Was pretty fun

Im certain i felt the MCG suspended concrete flex that day

Reactions: 1 user

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
I reckon the noise when Dustin kicked a goal in the first 30 seconds of the prelim was the loudest I've ever heard.

You could actually feel the physical force of it hitting you.
That was Lambert who received the handball from the great one.
Yes, very loud

Reactions: 10 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Still can't believe the arrogance of the crows thinking by how much and booking a seat for the cup that gave us fire in our belly.

Reactions: 1 users