The RIP thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The RIP thread

Only just saw this and I'm stunned. RIP Warnie, you were one of the main reasons I took an interest in cricket since I never played it outside of the backyard. 52 years is way too young.

Had the opportunity to meet him a couple of years ago through work and he came across as a great bloke and he spoke really well about supporting grass roots cricket. I've got the photo I had taken with him on the fridge at home.

Reactions: 1 users
Only just saw this and I'm stunned. RIP Warnie, you were one of the main reasons I took an interest in cricket since I never played it outside of the backyard. 52 years is way too young.

Had the opportunity to meet him a couple of years ago through work and he came across as a great bloke and he spoke really well about supporting grass roots cricket. I've got the photo I had taken with him on the fridge at home.
He tweeted for Rod Marsh just 22 hours ago and now this...just too hard to believe.

A chance encounter with Warnie at a McDonalds one Sunday morning years ago fostered a lifelong love of playing and coaching cricket for my nephew. Thanks for taking the time to chat cricket Warnie, as you did with so many. RIP

A bit stunned. Marsh was my first cricket hero.

Warne changed my perception of spin bowling completely.

Both were larger then life. Both also had the Aussie larrakin persona that endeared them to all of us.

The Australian Heaven 11 is going to be ranked #1 up there with Marsh and Warne slotting straight into the side.

I still can’t totally comprehend this. Stunned doesn’t even begin to cover it. The greatest I’ve ever seen and will be likely to see.

Reactions: 2 users

I never met Warnie but one of my good mates did. His company was doing some work at Warnie’s house. He said Warnie was just very down to earth and friendly. Would talk to anyone no matter who they were.

That ball he bowled to Gatting will, IMHO, go down as the greatest ball ever bowled in cricket history. It was his first ball in England; first ball!!

It was incredible. Almost defied physics. From over the wicket the ball drifted in the air, considerably, from off to leg. Then it hit the pitch outside leg and turned at what is probably a 45 degree angle and took off stump. It’s staggering. Nearly 30 years ago and I still can’t believe it.

No wonder Gatting look so bewildered and bamboozled. No batsman in the world could have survived that ball.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm so saddened by this. I was at a party last night when we saw the news and I had to go for a walk and a bit of a cry in the rain. The sense of loss is not just for a sporting hero, it's like your charismatic older cousin died, or the cool Year 11 kid who smoked behind the shelter sheds but the teachers couldn't help loving and who wouldn't let the Year 9s *smile* with the Year 7s.

He was the quintessential suburban Melbourne bogan. The quintessential Bayside lad. That's why we loved him so much - not just for his deeds but because he was one of us. We knew him, we loved him, and he knew and loved us. He was The King of Spin. He was a Prince of Melbourne. He was a true, beloved son and brother of this city and the nation. We will miss him dearly.

RIP legend.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
That ball he bowled to Gatting will, IMHO, go down as the greatest ball ever bowled in cricket history. It was his first ball in England; first ball!!

It was incredible. Almost defied physics. From over the wicket the ball drifted in the air, considerably, from off to leg. Then it hit the pitch outside leg and turned at what is probably a 45 degree angle and took off stump. It’s staggering. Nearly 30 years ago and I still can’t believe it.

No wonder Gatting look so bewildered and bamboozled. No batsman in the world could have survived that ball.
I always remember the one he got Pat Symcox with in Sydney. Symcox was digging in. Warnie came on to bowl and Symcox was playing him ok, so Warne went around the wicket. Symcox said ‘you won’t get me that way, sonny’. Warne bowled him around his legs next ball!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

The ball that got Strauss was a ripper too.

Warney loved a drink, a dart and a punt, he was a fair dinkum Aussie.

I'm so saddened by this. I was at a party last night when we saw the news and I had to go for a walk and a bit of a cry in the rain. The sense of loss is not just for a sporting hero, it's like your charismatic older cousin died, or the cool Year 11 kid who smoked behind the shelter sheds but the teachers couldn't help loving and who wouldn't let the Year 9s *smile* with the Year 7s.

He was the quintessential suburban Melbourne bogan. The quintessential Bayside lad. That's why we loved him so much - not just for his deeds but because he was one of us. We knew him, we loved him, and he knew and loved us. He was The King of Spin. He was a Prince of Melbourne. He was a true, beloved son and brother of this city and the nation. We will miss him dearly.

RIP legend.
You nailed Warnie with that description, spook. I think it’s fitting that they’re going to rename the Great Southern Stand after him.

Marsh was my favourite cricketer of that era. Would always get you runs when you needed them. One shot would be a six with no technique and the next would be a better cover drive than Greg Chappell could muster.

He hated the underarm ball and visibly demonstrated as much.

He was so watchable.

Shane was mesmeric. I never knew bowling a ball could be such a beautiful thing until he came along. I feel so lucky to have been around to see him play.

He wasn't just a genius with the ball - he was an absolute assassin - he calculated the angles, knew what the wind and pitch surface were doing, knew the weaknesses of his opposition and had that ability to instill fear. Cold blooded in his desire to win. The first player I would pick in a side from any country after watching cricket for 55 years.

Reactions: 2 users
Reactions: 3 users
My wife hates cricket, hates it. But we were listening to the radio and they played their last interview with Warne and she broke down. "I can't believe he's gone" was all she could say.

Lastly, a guy I used to know well, told me he worked at Blockbuster video in Brighton. Almost religiously Warney would come in with Simone - both of them usually in trackies- wandering the aisles looking for the weekend viewing. He'd occasionally come over and ask what had come in this week, or for a recommendation. Completely like he should be in Frankston was his laid back bogan attitude. Then they'd make their selections and he squeeze in a dart before driving off. My mate said, "how can I guy who behaves like that ever be good at sport."
I'd just tell him to stop asking that question and enjoy watching him while we still could. Even now, I don't think I appreciated his greatness.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users