The RIP thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The RIP thread

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004
Sad News to hear Rod what a player he was watching as a kid through the 70s RIP Bacchus :(

Reactions: 1 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
One of the greats
Began as “Iron Gloves” and an unlikely build for a bloke behind the stumps.
Became a champion keeper - truly magnificent - especially during that era with Lille, Thomson, the Chappels etc
Wonderful attacking batsman too.
Great contribution to the sport after his playing career ended.
Just so grateful to have enjoyed watching him - sometimes live - mainly on TV of course
Just assumed he was indestructible
Very sad to have him gone at such a relatively early age.
Thanks for the memories
Vale Marshy

Reactions: 1 users

blofield

Tiger Cub
Jul 20, 2005
Rip Bacchus. An absolute legend of Australian cricket.

Your '77 Centenary Test 100 - will always be one of the greatest knocks to me. Without your innings - no way would we have won the game.

Every kid who grew up and played/watched cricket in the '70's idealised you - dreamt of being you behind the stumps.

Thanks for making Australian Cricket what it is today.

Reactions: 2 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
When I was growing up all of my friends listed him as their favourite player. Only my opinion, but I see him as the best keeper Australia has ever had. A part of my childhood has been lost today.

Reactions: 3 users

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
When I was growing up all of my friends listed him as their favourite player. Only my opinion, but I see him as the best keeper Australia has ever had. A part of my childhood has been lost today.

Yep Carn, a part of our youth gone, bloody sad.
Always thought he was indestructible too Tenacious, blokes like him don't die.
RIP Marshy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Sucks getting old. Seems like every time you turn around another of your legends n heroes falls off the perch. Vale Rod Marsh.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Sucks getting old. Seems like every time you turn around another of your legends n heroes falls off the perch. Vale Rod Marsh.
Same feelings Maso. I suppose I have to realise I'm not a kid/young adult watching 20-30 year old football players or cricketers or actors/singers etc... anymore.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Just on Rod Marsh, he was a Richmond supporter.

He told me so himself.

I was at the WACA ground in the late 80s for an Eagles Bulldogs night game. Yep pretty weird, but a teacher from my school had organised a student trip to go and had a spare ticket.

I think all the kids were Eagles fans, so I wore my Tigers gurnsey to be a smart arse.

Anyway, Rod Marsh at the time was working for Channel 9 but for some reason was doing a live cross from the WACA before the game. For another reason I will never understand, the crowd were giving it to him too.

Turns out our teacher knew Rod from their younger days and they were pretty good mates. So the next thing Rod has come up to our group and is chatting to the teacher. He then offers to get us a chance to go up and see inside the old scoreboard at WACA, which was right behind where we were sitting. While we are up there, he sees my Tigers gurnsey and we have a chat about it.

The upshot of the conversation was that he was a Tigers supporter too. At the time, he was the only other person in the state that I knew followed the Tigers!

• Love
Reactions: 13 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
So sad to hear of the passing of the great "Bacchus".

A hero from my childhood as with many others.

Vale Rodney Marsh legend and will always be fondly remembered.

Condolences to the Marsh family.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
That's really cool Streak, I knew Lillee was a Richmond man but didn't realise Marsh was as well.

I actually just read an article on the Richmond official website about how Lillee and Marsh were Tigers supporters and actually went to Punt Road on their break day during the Centenary Test to talk to the Tigers at the invitation of Barry Richardson.

Reactions: 5 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Warne, Marsh. Vale to them both.
Someone form a guard around Lillee and AB.

That's two to the guts right there.
I hope their families are OK.

Reactions: 3 users

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004
Couldn't Sleep & Turn on my phone to see This News Absolutely Gobsmacked RIP KIng Shane :(

Shane Warne Delivery GIF

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users