The RIP thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The RIP thread

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Great interview I reckon.

I watched that earlier. Excellent chat. Been watching so much of his highlights, and the memories and tributes from his friends and colleagues. Isa Guha and Michael Vaughan choking up on air, others just holding it together. They truly loved him.

I watched a legspin master-class with him and Skull and it reminded me of the African proverb, "When an old man dies, a library burns to the ground."

He wasn't old, but so much knowledge and experience that he was so willing to pass on, that he saw as his responsibility to teach the next generations, has gone with him.

It's such a loss. I didn't know him personally but I loved him, and so many feel the same. The only other celeb death that really hit me hard was Kurt Cobain's, but this feels like a relative or a friend. He's irreplaceable.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
*smile* hell Spook, stop making me cry.

I heard Roy Symonds say something similar about the loss of knowledge and you are both spot on, it's such a shame the game has lost it. He had such a love for the game and the art of spin bowling that he would even help opposition players during test matches and series which didn't always go down well with the batsman but he couldn't help it. He was also an amazing judge of talent and spotter of young talent.

I'm sure you would have loved him if you met him, as one of the Aussie boys said the other night in a whatsapp chat, he was like the human version of a labrador puppy. Always playful, happy to see you, made you feel good just by being there, had to be kept out of mischief and liked a nap. :ROFLMAO:

What you said the other day stuck with me. We loved him because he was one of us and he loved us back because he knew. It is such a perfect summation, because he never lost the feeling of how cool his life was. He always remembered he was living the dream of a fan in the outer.

His life was so crazy and so demanding but he was always polite and kind unless he suspected someone wasn't pure of heart with him. I guarantee it was always the people with him who got sick of the constant stopping for fans when you went somewhere before he did. And when he was around the most famous people you can think of he always acted the same and he treated people like me the same around them as well.

I've had two instances where some serious medical situations have impacted my family and I, both times requiring significant changes in work and home circumstances. Both times a call came soon after from an IPL team, offering stupid money to do a job that barely needed doing, but allowing me to work a few months and make a few years salary. Just the King's way of making sure money wasn't an issue because he never forgot how fortunate his life was and wanting to use his power to help others.

And there's a million of those stories. I once mentioned to him about a family I'd heard about who had an awful situation to deal with and he not only donated some of his gear and a net session with him but he teed up a very famous musician to write and record a personal song for the auction winner's partner and he made sure enough big timers knew that the song went for 250k at auction.

Just a very special man.
That's brilliant TBR.

Am yet to hear a single bad word about him and the stories coming out about his generosity are amazing. It's actually an even bigger tragedy than I first thought when you hear about the great things he did behind the scenes. I doubt there has ever been anyone so famous and so generous.

So sad the dream is over.

Reactions: 2 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
What I've come to appreciate watching Shane in the various interviews from years gone by is that he was an underrated public speaker and to be great at it you need to be the genuine article. ..... obviously he was.

Had never seen this previously. .... blame some of the clunky editing on the ABC.

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
That's brilliant TBR.

Am yet to hear a single bad word about him and the stories coming out about his generosity are amazing. It's actually an even bigger tragedy than I first thought when you hear about the great things he did behind the scenes. I doubt there has ever been anyone so famous and so generous.

So sad the dream is over.

yeah never met him and never met anyone who met him... I'd always assumed he was a loveable larrikin, but a bit of a *smile* like many elite sportsmen. Seems as though there was a lot more to him - a man who can be elite and famous, but recognise their own luck and fortunate position in the world and still be a genuinely good human being to others is rare.

Reactions: 1 users

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
It's such a shame that all of these stories have come out after this tragedy, but that's how life is unfortunately.

It was such a devastating loss initially, but hearing all of these wonderful anecdotes make us realise just how irreplaceable he is.

It's very rare that a person can have such a positive effect on so many people.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Watching the ....ahem....coffin on the news, looks like it will arrive tonight and the funeral's on March 30 (3 weeks! from now)

Just can't believe this has happened....wish it was all a stunt.

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004
Absolute in Shock hearing the news on the passing of Taylor

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Absolute in Shock hearing the news on the passing of Taylor

Same here. Warnie at 52 and now Taylor at 50. WTF is going on. I'm shocked, saddened, gutted, everything you can say. I can't believe he's gone, I was only watching him at GMHBA stadium a few weeks ago.

Similar feeling to when Chester Bennington died.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Same here. Warnie at 52 and now Taylor at 50. WTF is going on. I'm shocked, saddened, gutted, everything you can say. I can't believe he's gone, I was only watching him at GMHBA stadium a few weeks ago.

Similar feeling to when Chester Bennington died.
Surely not another heart attack? Dying quick and young is becoming a fad now....