The RIP thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The RIP thread

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Reality is any operation has a degree of risk and we lose people from complications with straight forward procedures all the time. No doubt hip replacements would be more highly represented in deaths than most simple procedures because the recipients tend to be older and more likely to have other underlying conditions.

I once accompanied a fairly well known AFL player for an achilles tendon repair only to have the procedure postponed when they lost the patient before on the table, a reasonably fit 40 something year old man who developed a blood clot during the surgery. Needless to say, it was a very difficult task to convince them to head back in the following day.
That's terrible TBR. I have a leg ulcer in the achilles tendon or soleus are of the left leg that won't go away. Had it for ~ 5 years now and made the leg swell. I've done exercise to reduce it but at times too much walking/cycling makes it swell slightly again. Vascular surgeon says all arteries and veins are clear (after 4 ultrasounds), and they can't work out why it doesn't go away. Blood clot sounds worrying for any type of leg operation.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Reality is any operation has a degree of risk and we lose people from complications with straight forward procedures all the time. No doubt hip replacements would be more highly represented in deaths than most simple procedures because the recipients tend to be older and more likely to have other underlying conditions.

I once accompanied a fairly well known AFL player for an achilles tendon repair only to have the procedure postponed when they lost the patient before on the table, a reasonably fit 40 something year old man who developed a blood clot during the surgery. Needless to say, it was a very difficult task to convince them to head back in the following day.

A neighbor of mine (67yr old at the time) went in for a minor knee operation, (not a knee replacement) didnt make it.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
A neighbor of mine (67yr old at the time) went in for a minor knee operation, (not a knee replacement) didnt make it.

Sorry to hear that TT.

A mentor of mine used to say to us if the human body was an aeroplane no-one would ever fly. It is such a fragile machine with so many unpredictable systems hanging by a thread that it really is incredible.

The awesomeness of life should never escape us.

Reactions: 5 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Sorry to hear that TT.

A mentor of mine used to say to us if the human body was an aeroplane no-one would ever fly. It is such a fragile machine with so many unpredictable systems hanging by a thread that it really is incredible.

That and we dont have wings.
Not many aeroplanes dont have wings

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
All hospitals in Australia, public or private, are required to report on deaths of patients under their care no matter the cause and those deaths that are deemed unusual are the subject of coroners reports.
These things happen from time to time and are subject to very detailed reporting and follow up.
Knowing the stats I think saying “all the time” is overstating it when talking about deaths after routine surgery. There are standard risk adjusted morbidity indices that measure surgical and other hospital deaths and Australia has one of the best outcomes in the world.
However it does happen

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Sorry to hear that TT.

On the flip side its pretty hard to kill also. I've watched plenty of older relatives die and its amazing how the body can keep going despite the person not knowing they are even there. In many ways we are much less fragile than we think, you learn that through having kids.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
All hospitals in Australia, public or private, are required to report on deaths of patients under their care no matter the cause and those deaths that are deemed unusual are the subject of coroners reports.
These things happen from time to time and are subject to very detailed reporting and follow up.
Knowing the stats I think saying “all the time” is overstating it when talking about deaths after routine surgery. There are standard risk adjusted morbidity indices that measure surgical and other hospital deaths and Australia has one of the best outcomes in the world.
However it does happen

Well said, 'all the time' was a poor choice of words. Didn't mean to imply people are dropping like flies having simple procedures, just that the occasional death from straight forward surgery is very common, in the context of the interest from a couple of prominent hip replacement related deaths lately.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Well said, 'all the time' was a poor choice of words. Didn't mean to imply people are dropping like flies having simple procedures, just that the occasional death from straight forward surgery is very common, in the context of the interest from a couple of prominent hip replacement related deaths lately.
Had a coloscopy and surgeon said 1 in 500 chance of perforating the bowel. Which can lead to death.

Looked at having a microdisectomy and the surgeon said there was a 1 in 1000 chance of death from the procedure. I think it was 1 in 700 or 800 you become a quadraplegic. They were his own stats. Thankfully doing a lot of physio worked and I didn't have to have it.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
So this guy was an amazing fella. I knew him pretty well back in the 90s. I used to do a lot of volunteer work with the Giants and he was a rippa. A complete gentleman and someone who did a lot of work in the background whilst never seeking plaudits for it. His wife Jill is a champ as well - both of them very down to earth,

Cancer got him from what I've been told, which would explain in part why he was so young.

Vale Mark.

• Sad

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Yes. More often than not it is some other co-morbidity that increases the risk or something that was only discovered because of the surgery but there is inherent risk in any surgery even just from the anaesthetic. The best health systems in the world minimise them, not one of them eliminates them

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Had a coloscopy and surgeon said 1 in 500 chance of perforating the bowel. Which can lead to death.
Nasty procedure that having a camera with a big telephoto lens hangin off it stuck up your arse. Bad enough being prodded n rummaged with something as insignificant as a finger. No surprise at all that there's a risk of perforation n death.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Nasty procedure that having a camera with a big telephoto lens hangin off it stuck up your arse. Bad enough being prodded n rummaged with something as insignificant as a finger. No surprise at all that there's a risk of perforation n death.
I had the daily double last Tuesday, the gastroscopy and the colonoscopy!

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I had the daily double last Tuesday, the gastroscopy and the colonoscopy!
Hope ya got the gastro before the colon job. Reckon some of them doctors aint adverse to saving a shekel or two n reusing equipment.

Come up all good n healthy enough I hope.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
You win! Hope it all went well.
Thanks tt, unfortunately I failed all 3, however surgery & a strong dose of radiation seems to have helped things.
Fingers crossed I'm feeing pretty good atm.

What I will,say is don't just rely on the PSA test, make sure you also have the physical check.

The Fickle Finger of Fate can save your life. ;)

Reactions: 5 users

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
My brother worked as a nurse in the early part of his career (works in a related field now). Had several colleagues who had worked at St.Vincent’s ER in Darlinghurst, Sydney.

Given the social dynamics of the area, some of the anecdotes from his colleagues of the injuries resulting from sexual experimentation are quite eye opening. All manner of foreign objects (bottles, fists, fruit/vegetables, vacuum cleaner heads, gigantic sex toys etc) inserted into arses, causing injury (at times, serious) and/or getting stuck and needing removal. People are so *smile* stupid. The risks are certainly not insignificant. But the desire to find ever more innovative methods for sexual pleasures seem to outweigh common sense.

Last edited:

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

I have a colonoscopy every 3 years due to family history of bowel cancer and the preparation is the worst aspect of them, fasting for over a day and taking disgusting laxative.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I have a colonoscopy every 3 years due to family history of bowel cancer and the preparation is the worst aspect of them, fasting for over a day and taking disgusting laxative.
Indeed! I won’t give a graphic detail of me last Monday night…..

• Haha
< Golf | Movies >