The RIP thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The RIP thread

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Burt Bacharach 94, he's serenaded me in many a public toilet now for years.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Amazing number of hits he wrote for so many famous artists. Went to his concert back in 2012, it was fantastic. Lot's of gay guys in the crowd singing every word to every song!

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Incredible list of hits and identifiable songs. Amazing.

“Do You Know the Way to San Jose” with Dionne Warwick one of my favourites.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Love Dionne Warwick's voice on those Bacharach/David tunes, just sublime.

DS
Indeed. Indeed.

Which leads me to bring up one of my pet hates: over singing. There is nothing worse than Maria Carey, Celine Dion etc and their endless, loud, often screeching, over singing and carrying a note for way too long and grand standing. Can’t bear it.

Reactions: 7 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Indeed. Indeed.

Which leads me to bring up one of my pet hates: over singing. There is nothing worse than Maria Carey, Celine Dion etc and their endless, loud, often screeching, over singing and carrying a note for way too long and grand standing. Can’t bear it.

I agree Red1, their vocal gymnastics are unbearable.

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
True & they're unbearable as well.

It seems to be the "thing" that makes them "great" singers. I find it makes them grate singers
Totally agree. You can make an argument for “style” but regardless, I HATE that style of singing.

If you listen to a lot of Motown and Soul from the 60’s and 70’s, now that’s singing that doesn’t try to overtake or dominate the song itself.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Indeed. Indeed.

That's why Whitney Houston and especially Alison Moyet did it in style.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Ariana Grande. There’s another one.

I reckon Robert Plant was an annoying over singer with Led Zeppelin too. Quite like LZ’s music but can’t stand his over singing. Drowns the music out.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Indeed. Indeed.

It was often said that "belting" out a song was a singing sin but now it's considered an art form.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I didn’t realise over singing was an actual term until I looked it up a moment ago. Over singing, belting, melisma. It’s real !

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Love Dionne Warwick's voice on those Bacharach/David tunes, just sublime.

DS
I was working at the Hilton in the 80s when she played at the ballroom there. I snuck off work and got to watch from the lighting box for a bit. I wasn't into her at the time but she had a killer voice and a great stage presence.

Reactions: 2 users

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Whilst I agree with the over singing is bad sentiment, there are some good examples of over singing. I'd consider Linda Perry's vocals in What's Going On by 4 Non Blondes to be over singing but that's what makes it brilliant.