The RIP thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The RIP thread

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Probably totally inappropriate of me, especially at this time, but I'm a crusty inappropriate old fart so here goes.

Probably never been what would be considered a pretty or beautiful woman in the classic sense, but her on stage persona was simply pure smokin hot sassy raunch. Add that to her amazing musical talent and it's no bloody surprise she was an absolute icon of the music industry.

*smile* hate old, all my music hero's and legends are carkin it and disappearing. Farewell Tina, thank gawd for recorded music n video clips.
They're all heading off Maso. Sad to see.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Probably totally inappropriate of me, especially at this time, but I'm a crusty inappropriate old fart so here goes.

Probably never been what would be considered a pretty or beautiful woman in the classic sense, but her on stage persona was simply pure smokin hot sassy raunch. Add that to her amazing musical talent and it's no bloody surprise she was an absolute icon of the music industry.

*smile* hate old, all my music hero's and legends are carkin it and disappearing. Farewell Tina, thank gawd for recorded music n video clips.
I’m of a younger generation to you TM. Caught her second wind as a child of the 80s, so the Simply The Best Era is what is imprinted in my childhood memories as the quintessential Tina Turner. Didn’t really know any different.

I’ve since seen vintage photos of her in the 1960s. And after seeing these, in her time, to me she was indeed a stunningly beautiful woman in the classical sense. Certainly gave me a different perspective, seeing these earlier photos.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
I can’t locate the article right now but I read somewhere that possibly the most successful advertising campaign in Australian sport nearly sank before it began because the dinosaurs running rugby league clubs at the time didn’t want a black American grandmother promoting the game.
Lucky that saner, more progressive heads won the day

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
I can’t locate the article right now but I read somewhere that possibly the most successful advertising campaign in Australian sport nearly sank before it began because the dinosaurs running rugby league clubs at the time didn’t want a black American grandmother promoting the game.
Lucky that saner, more progressive heads won the day
No, wasn’t quite like that Legends. I’ve read a similar article from around 5 years ago.

It was more that people in the NSWRL were simply baffled by the proposal put in front of them.

They just couldn’t piece together a connection in their heads, between an American singer, who probably hadn’t even seen the game, or even knew what it was, and a sport that was an intertwined part of quintessential working class Aussie culture. And without the benefit of hindsight, it would have seemed pretty obscure and far fetched, not to mention expensive and high risk.

What they were missing however, is that those proposing the campaign were trying to balance connection to the traditional audience with attracting a wider audience also. Suffice to say, history tells us they seemed to succeed very much so, in walking that bridge. In fact, later editions of the campaign featured Tina and Barnsy singing the song as a duet. What an emblematic illustration of what they were trying to do.

The campaign was indeed, high risk, high reward, yet visionary. And an interesting irony, that from forging the Rugby League connection, Tina Turner became probably an even bigger star In NSW and QLD than she was in her home market, particularly for the latter years of her career.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
No, wasn’t quite like that Legends. I’ve read a similar article from around 5 years ago.

It was more that people in the NSWRL were simply baffled by the proposal put in front of them.

They just couldn’t piece together a connection in their heads, between an American singer, who probably hadn’t even seen the game, or even knew what it was, and a sport that was an intertwined part of quintessential working class Aussie culture. And without the benefit of hindsight, it would have seemed a pretty obscure and far fetched, not to mention expensive and high risk.

What they were missing however, is that those proposing the campaign were trying to balance connection to the traditional audience with attracting a wider audience also. Suffice to say, history tells us they seemed to succeed very much so, in walking that bridge.

High risk, high reward, yet visionary.
The story I saw said John Quayle had recently revealed the never before revealed behind the scenes story to the ad, indicating the past few months. I did find an article but it was paywalled.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

TM,
One of the things that Tina did in the 80s and 90s was represent Hanes and the L’eggs brand of panty hose. She had a 10 year contract and her legs were used in advertising all that time. She had an awesome pair of pegs.

Check this out as proof

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=tina+turner+a+L'eggs&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-au&client=safari#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:cd89ff7f,vid:gbAX6iKocG8

Last edited:

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
The story I saw said John Quayle had recently revealed the never before revealed behind the scenes story to the ad, indicating the past few months. I did find an article but it was paywalled.
History is usually far more nuanced than click bait, sensationalist journalists make it out to be. Sure, there might have been a person or a couple, who’s motives were more sinister. But most around the table may well have been simply baffled, as other behind the scenes accounts from only a couple of years ago have previously stated.

Like I say, without the benefit of hindsight, she would have appeared a pretty obscure choice. Bold, high risk, high reward campaign.

Last edited:

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
History is usually far more nuanced than click bait, sensationalist journalists make it out to be. Sure, there might have been a person or a couple, who’s motives were more sinister. But most around the table may well have been simply baffled. As other behind the scenes accounts from only a couple of years ago have previously stated.

Like I say, without the benefit of hindsight, she would have appeared a pretty obscure choice. Bold, high risk, high reward campaign.

Qualye's pieces over the last couple of days would suggest he kept it a secret from most of the Board and only towards the end did they catch on to what was happening. Same pieces say Tina was just brilliant to work with, no demands, no airs, and genuinely had a lot of fun filming the ads with the NRL boofheads.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Qualye's pieces over the last couple of days would suggest he kept it a secret from most of the Board and only towards the end did they catch on to what was happening. Same pieces say Tina was just brilliant to work with, no demands, no airs, and genuinely had a lot of fun filming the ads with the NRL boofheads.
Yeah, I’ve always got the impression (and read accounts from all comers who have been around her) that she was just a lovely, very decent, genuine person. Makes you cringe more when you see some of the *smile* interviewers over the years harping and harping on about Ike in interviews. Trying to manufacture some controversy in one of the most salt of the earth, uncontroversial stars around.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
TM,
One of the things that Tina did in the 80s and 90s was represent Hanes and the L’eggs brand of panty hose. She had a 10 year contract and her legs were used in advertising all that time. She had an awesome pair of pegs.

Check this out as proof

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=tina+turner+a+L'eggs&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-au&client=safari#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:cd89ff7f,vid:gbAX6iKocG8
Didn't know about the advertising sponsorship, though it would be an obvious no brainer in Tina's case. Just got through watching a show on Fox last night of her concert in Barcelona. Bloody old boiler musta been around her sixties easy. Mini skirts, pins to die for, dancin, struttin n sassin across the stage bloody woman was full throttle. Stunning performer.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Didn't know about the advertising sponsorship, though it would be an obvious no brainer in Tina's case. Just got through watching a show on Fox last night of her concert in Barcelona. Bloody old boiler musta been around her sixties easy. Mini skirts, pins to die for, dancin, struttin n sassin across the stage bloody woman was full throttle. Stunning performer.
She was.

I watched a show on channel 9 about her rise to fame and the Ike years. What a *smile* scumbag he was

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
RIP Rale Rasic our 1st football coach into the WC.

RIP Iron Sheik from the heady days of wrestling in the 80s

• Sad

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
RIP Tina. Great voice, body and presenter. Sad to see her go with other musical icons.

Deserves respect in all ways especially with the sh!t she had to go through with that lunatic husband earlier on in time.
I finally got around to watching Tina the doco. Who knew Bucks Fizz recorded “What’s love got to do with it” before Tina?