The RIP thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The RIP thread

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Broderick Smith was one of the hardest working musicians in the country.

A lot of people feeling this loss.

Reactions: 4 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Robbie Bachman the other brother from that group, died in January. He was the original drummer I think.
Randy Bachman was also an original member of the band Guess Who, most famous for the song American Woman which Lenny Kravitz made a big hit later.
Guess Who were a pretty decent band in the day.

Reactions: 1 user

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Sorry, I forgot to put some words before this clip.

One of my all time favourite songs.

R I P Brod, you'll be greatly missed.:cry:

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Sorry, I forgot to put some words before this clip.

One of my all time favourite songs.

R I P Brod, you'll be greatly missed:cry:
Andy Durant memorial concert. Brod absolutely nailed that song, shivers down the spine every time I hear it.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Couldn't help myself, just had to bring up the Concert on you tube for another listen. Still just as good now as it was when I first heard it half a life time ago. Was so impressed when I first saw the show broadcast I went out n bought the albums, probably still got it hidden away in a cupboard somewhere. Some premium Oz muso's at their peak.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
He was a Christowel street lad Scoop. The house he was raised in is still largely intact along with a few others in the area known as the Golf Links Estate in Camberwell that were built by his father who was a builder.
It was originally the Riversdale Golf Club that was relocated to Huntingdale in the 1930s.
Barry didn’t save the station from redevelopment on his own. Rob Quantock was heavily involved along with another famous Camberwell resident in Geoffrey Rush.
He truly loved Melbourne and knew it so well. His live shows as Edna when in Melbourne were incredibly funny because he knew the city and all its foibles.
I saw him a couple of times in Melbourne and I don’t think I ever have laughed as much at any show before and since.
Just the greatest. Went to as many of his shows as I could afford in the 60's and in 1970 I think, met him in Elizabeth street just near the Melbourne Sports depot, where I was employed at the time.

Wearing a black suit with a black cape, and walking towards me he stopped a big bloke in front, and sought directions. Got an answer something like F;;'' OFF YOU BLOODY *smile* .
Barry's immediate response was such a ferocious put down, that the bloke who like Barry was probably also in his 30's, literally collapsed, - couldn't speak and then staggered away and sat down.
Barry then comes up to me with a grin and asked again.
'Yes Mr Humphries just back that way...'

Sorry to read his memorial will be in Sydney. He was just as much a part of Melbourne, as the footy and the Cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Just the greatest. Went to as many of his shows as I could afford in the 60's and in 1970 I think, met him in Elizabeth street just near the Melbourne Sports depot, where I was employed at the time.

Wearing a black suit with a black cape, and walking towards me he stopped a big bloke in front, and sought directions. Got an answer something like F;;'' OFF YOU BLOODY *smile* .
Barry's immediate response was such a ferocious put down, that the bloke who like Barry was probably also in his 30's, literally collapsed, - couldn't speak and then staggered away and sat down.
Barry then comes up to me with a grin and asked again.
'Yes Mr Humphries just back that way...'

Sorry to read his memorial will be in Sydney. He was just as much a part of Melbourne, as the footy and the Cup.
great story

I heard that the choice of Sydney was his and relates to what he saw as a lack of support to him in his home town around the comedy festival and what he saw as his exclusion

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
great story

I heard that the choice of Sydney was his and relates to what he saw as a lack of support to him in his home town around the comedy festival and what he saw as his exclusion
Saw that Sin. Don't know what he said but he was getting on and obviously getting pretty close to the end of his career.
You have to wonder why they saw such a harsh result as necessary.

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Apparently he died 2 weeks ago and the family only revealed it yesterday.

He had neck cancer and I hope it was painful until the end.

Reactions: 4 users

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Old enough to remember watching his shows on a regular basis on tv way back when. Was a premium entertainer and massively popular. Sadly, like so many others of the era of way back then. The bastard turned out to be a kiddie fiddler, may he rot in hell forever. Pity he didn't get throat cancer thirty or more years ago n suffer properly until now.