The RIP thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The RIP thread

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I had the pleasure of meeting Tina Turner many years ago through where I was working at the time.
The thing that struck me was how small she was. She was also quite shy.
But man she could sing
RIP

Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Tina was huge in the 70's and 80's. Nutbush City Limits used to get the girls up on the dance floor.

RIP Tina.

Reactions: 4 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I had the pleasure of meeting Tina Turner many years ago through where I was working at the time.
The thing that struck me was how small she was. She was also quite shy.
But man she could sing
RIP

Bumped into her a couple of times at a local bakery in Zurich. Yeah, she wasn't big at all, her lungs must have taken up most of her body.

RIP Tina. Nutbush City Limits will always make me smile and cringe at the same time and your work on the NRL Ad always made me jealous of them.

A legend.

Reactions: 5 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
RIP Tina. Great voice, body and presenter. Sad to see her go with other musical icons.

Deserves respect in all ways especially with the sh!t she had to go through with that lunatic husband earlier on in time.

Reactions: 3 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Was a grandmother when she was most popular. She seemed like she'd live forever.
Huge voice & an NRL icon.
RIP Tina.

What a promo that was. Whatever they paid her, it wasn't enough. RIP Tina, fantastic singer and incredible life story.

Reactions: 2 users

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
What a promo that was. Whatever they paid her, it wasn't enough. RIP Tina, fantastic singer and incredible life story.

Seared into my childhood memories in a time that Rugby League didn't garner much interest or coverage outside of QLD and NSW. Yet I still remember the ads prominently in TAS. Very successful marketing campaign. And she had the perfect charisma for it.

"born Anna Mae Bullock" well there you go, you learn something every day. I never knew this. I wonder what she was known as to her family and close friends?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Indeed mate. Right up there with the 'Unbelievable' campaign from the AFL.
Like Baloo said these guys were wanted to be like those guys.
I could be alone here, but as a kid, I always got the impression the 'Unbelievable' campaign by the AFL was their cringy, poor man's response to being outdone by Rugby League's Simply the Best. Just looked like they were trying too hard to respond. Wasn't ever much of a fan.

Last edited:

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

Seared into my childhood memories in a time that Rugby League didn't garner much interest or coverage outside of QLD and NSW. Yet I still remember the ads prominently in TAS. Very successful marketing campaign. And she had the perfect charisma for it.

"born Anna Mae Bullock" well there you go, you learn something every day. I never knew this. I wonder what she was known as to her family and close friends?

Possibly still Anna Mae, although she was still in her teens when Ike ‘discovered’ her and she changed the name to Tina. A great loss to music. A genuine survivor.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I could be alone here, but as a kid, I always got the impression the 'Unbelievable' campaign by the AFL was their cringy, poor man's response to being outdone by Rugby League's Simply the Best. Just looked like they were trying too hard to respond. Wasn't ever much of a fan.
Panthera Tigris not liking the AFL ad.....I'd like to see that.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Indeed mate. Right up there with the 'Unbelievable' campaign from the AFL.
Like Baloo said these guys were wanted to be like those guys.

Wasn't sure what you were talking about so I looked the ads up. I'd left Aus by then. Gotta say I find them nowhere close to what Tina did for the NRL. "Men scoring every few minutes" certainly didn't stand the test of time

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Probably totally inappropriate of me, especially at this time, but I'm a crusty inappropriate old fart so here goes.

Probably never been what would be considered a pretty or beautiful woman in the classic sense, but her on stage persona was simply pure smokin hot sassy raunch. Add that to her amazing musical talent and it's no bloody surprise she was an absolute icon of the music industry.

*smile* hate old, all my music hero's and legends are carkin it and disappearing. Farewell Tina, thank gawd for recorded music n video clips.

Reactions: 1 user