The stand rule??? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The stand rule???

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Another new rule to alleviate the unintended negative impacts of a new rule that was never needed in the first place. Fantastic. Razor sharp operators the AFL.

What will the ump say

When someone feigns a handball and the man on the mark moves?

He has to say it, not to the bloke who feigns the handball, but the bloke on the mark who reacted to the feigned handball.

'NOT REAL HANDBALL!'?

Its a bit like a false start in a 100m race, maybe the ump could carry a a gun and fire a second shot if the handball is a dummy?

How many handballs can you feign before its play-on?

Does the mark go back to where it was, or does the bloke stand in the new position he moved to?

a player can also use feigned handballs and mark resets to buy time for his side to structure forward of the ball, thereby exacerbating the negative effect of the stand rule for the side in defensive mode.

how can an organisation that employs hundreds and handles $1b,

Not see the flaws in this and that it will play out utterly farcically?

How?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I've never been a supporter that the stand rule was a great invention, my position used to be that it did very little and wasn't worth the effort of officiating it.

I must admit though towards the end of last season I did start to come around to the idea that there are some positives impacts on the game, I'm not totally convinced yet but am open minded.

Just from a quick google here is an article dated January 2021 which refers to the rule being announced in November.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-tweak-changing-the-game-20210129-p56xv0.html

I can also tell you with first hand knowledge that the AFL conducted a game between two VFL squads in about July which was videoed and distributed to the clubs and clubs started tinkering with it after that time at training.

I remember watching us play Melbourne at Casey in a pre-season scratch match when it was used as well.

I'm absolutely certain you are confusing the timing with the medical sub.

You can judge a person's intent from their actions though, which is what happens in football all the time.

If the ball goes over the line it is almost impossible to have shown sufficient intent to keep it in when you think about it.
I recall the VFL game out at Coburg when they trialled the ridiculous 37m long goal square or whatever the *smile* it was.

Sure you are confusing Stand with this ?

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I've never been a supporter that the stand rule was a great invention, my position used to be that it did very little and wasn't worth the effort of officiating it.

I must admit though towards the end of last season I did start to come around to the idea that there are some positives impacts on the game, I'm not totally convinced yet but am open minded.

Just from a quick google here is an article dated January 2021 which refers to the rule being announced in November.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-tweak-changing-the-game-20210129-p56xv0.html

I can also tell you with first hand knowledge that the AFL conducted a game between two VFL squads in about July which was videoed and distributed to the clubs and clubs started tinkering with it after that time at training.

I remember watching us play Melbourne at Casey in a pre-season scratch match when it was used as well.

I'm absolutely certain you are confusing the timing with the medical sub.

You can judge a person's intent from their actions though, which is what happens in football all the time.

If the ball goes over the line it is almost impossible to have shown sufficient intent to keep it in when you think about it.

TBR sorry but that is not my recollection. Some talk of it earlier maybe but no AFL commitment indicated until Hockings unveiling it on the eve of the Carlton game.
Importantly as others have pointed out, it seemed that Geelong were able to adapt to it during the pre draft period, and had (earlier) recruited accordingly, while others did not.

At the time of Hockings announcement it was also greeted by many commentators as an aberration by the AFL.

It was Balmy who also added some pretty colourful criticism.
And importantly it wasn’t part of a pre season general discussion as to how it would change the game. This was perhaps the most significant rule change in the last 10 years and the Tigers misread it completely.
As a result we didn’t or couldn’t adjust for quite some time and we slipped, ultimately falling from 1st to 12th.

The further point is that there is still no real structure to how and when changes are made. As suggested above maybe there should be period of at least 6 months in which AFL proposals might be discussed and a mandatory 1 month before the draft, after which no rule changes to be introduced at the beginning of the following season, should be permitted.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I recall the VFL game out at Coburg when they trialled the ridiculous 37m long goal square or whatever the *smile* it was.

Sure you are confusing Stand with this ?

No different games. I think that one was an actual VFL game wasn't it?

The stand one was done with a random group of players and without publicity.

TBR sorry but that is not my recollection. Some talk of it earlier maybe but no AFL commitment indicated until Hockings unveiling it on the eve of the Carlton game.
Importantly as others have pointed out, it seemed that Geelong were able to adapt to it during the pre draft period, and had (earlier) recruited accordingly, while others did not.

Well I just showed you an article dated a month and a half before the Carlton game, that said the rule was announced two months before that, so if you're not convinced now you probably never will be! :ROFLMAO:

For what it's worth I was working in the AFL industry up until the end of 2020 so I was there when the footy managers came back from an AFL briefing and raised the prospect the rule was coming in. As you can imagine it was an interesting conversation the first time it was raised so very memorable. I then saw the tape of the exhibition game demonstrating it and saw the club (which wasn't Geelong by the way) run some trials and do some training on it in the second half of the year. So I'm not just speculating here, these are things I saw and heard personally.

Reactions: 1 user

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
No different games. I think that one was an actual VFL game wasn't it?

The stand one was done with a random group of players and without publicity.

Well I just showed you an article dated a month and a half before the Carlton game, that said the rule was announced two months before that, so if you're not convinced now you probably never will be! :ROFLMAO:

For what it's worth I was working in the AFL industry up until the end of 2020 so I was there when the footy managers came back from an AFL briefing and raised the prospect the rule was coming in. As you can imagine it was an interesting conversation the first time it was raised so very memorable. I then saw the tape of the exhibition game demonstrating it and saw the club (which wasn't Geelong by the way) run some trials and do some training on it in the second half of the year. So I'm not just speculating here, these are things I saw and heard personally.
For technical reasons I couldn’t raise that age article on my phone.
I think you may be confusing what insiders were told the AFL were considering, and you say had been minimally trialed, with the later decision taken by the Commission to actually introduce and announce the introduction of the change, which took place only a few days before the Carlton game.

Players from all clubs struggled with the change, as a result. As did Balmy.

davidc0055

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2011
Here's two reports on how/when it was introduced, and they sound just like the conversation here:

Fox (Feb 24th, 2021) "Footy pundits and fans have been given their first look at the controversial new ‘stand’ rule in action at AFL level – and they’ve raised some early concerns... Umpires have been officiating intra-club games in recent weeks, which have allowed them to implement the new rule and give players and coaches a sense of how it’ll be adjudicated well before Round 1."

SEN "Just hours before the season opener in 2021, then football operations boss Steve Hocking unveiled the new rule, which forces playing to stay stationary on the mark until an umpire calls ‘stand’."

Reactions: 1 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
For technical reasons I couldn’t raise that age article on my phone.
I think you may be confusing what insiders were told the AFL were considering, and you say had been minimally trialed, with the later decision taken by the Commission to actually introduce and announce the introduction of the change, which took place only a few days before the Carlton game.

No, I'm definitely not confused. The clubs knew the rule was coming in before the 2020 season even finished.

I sent a text to a friend in the industry who kindly went back through his emails and got the date it was officially announced.

Wednesday, November 17, 2020.

Once I had the date it was easy to find:

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
No, I'm definitely not confused. The clubs knew the rule was coming in before the 2020 season even finished.

I sent a text to a friend in the industry who kindly went back through his emails and got the date it was officially announced.

Wednesday, November 17, 2020.

Once I had the date it was easy to find:

Well I must accept that. Thanks for going to the trouble.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
SEN "Just hours before the season opener in 2021, then football operations boss Steve Hocking unveiled the new rule, which forces playing to stay stationary on the mark until an umpire calls ‘stand’."
The deliberate late timing of this SHocking rule change severely pissed our club off given we'd recruited & planned towards our highly successful gameplan.
It was nothing short of corruption by an AFL official with a massive conflict of interest.

Reactions: 7 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
If there was ever a rule change that I hated it was and is the stand rule.
Over the past few weeks I have watched quite a few of the older Tiger games, and the man on the mark "rule" was never a problem.
So why was Hocking so intent on introducing this stupid rule?

Reactions: 4 users

davidc0055

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2011
The deliberate late timing of this SHocking rule change severely pissed our club off given we'd recruited & planned towards our highly successful gameplan.
It was nothing short of corruption by an AFL official with a massive conflict of interest.
We've established that the rule was announced weeks before the start of the season. I'm not sure how it was a conflict of interest

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
We've established that the rule was announced weeks before the start of the season. I'm not sure how it was a conflict of interest
Steven Hocking- Cats person- 2004-2017
Steven Hocking- AFL person- 2018-2021
Steven Hocking- Cats person- 2021 -?

I cant see any potential issues there.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Steven Hocking- Cats person- 2004-2017
Steven Hocking- AFL person- 2018-2021
Steven Hocking- Cats person- 2021 -?

I cant see any potential issues there.

I think that's cheer squad thinking to be honest. If you speak to anyone in that sort of position, with connection with a club and employment by another organisation, they will universally say that while you never lose the connection to your team, you also do your job to the best of your ability regardless.

If anything, I'd suggest people in those positions tend to be harder on their original team if anything, because they want to make sure they are not seen to be even slightly conflicted.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
I think that's cheer squad thinking to be honest. If you speak to anyone in that sort of position, with connection with a club and employment by another organisation, they will universally say that while you never lose the connection to your team, you also do your job to the best of your ability regardless.

If anything, I'd suggest people in those positions tend to be harder on their original team if anything, because they want to make sure they are not seen to be even slightly conflicted.
Yes but not in this case as hocking was a friend of my late uncle and he always stated,he 100% was going to be cats ceo when Cook retired,took the afl job fully knowing that he would be Geelong ceo within years.