The stand rule??? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The stand rule???

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
I don't know if has been said but it has a real netball vibe about it. I have a 19 year old son who was a handy footy player and he started playing social mixed netball this year. He plays goal attack and he says it's just a joke because you get to shoot and the defender just has to stand there unable to do anything. Sound familiar?

Reactions: 2 users

Tigers2020

Tiger Rookie
Nov 6, 2020
Awful rule. Lions used it again to their advantage by handballing or kicking over the man of the mark and making the game 18v17 for a short period of time. If it gets removed we automatically become elite defensively again

Reactions: 1 user

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Blight on the game. Allows player to run off the mark or free kick unhindered.

• Angry

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Saw this article today in the hun. Didn’t know how to find it on the website to post a link so I took a pic.

1674714166742.jpeg

It’s only been a season or so and already this “brilliant” rule from SHocking needs tweaking. What concerns me is the 5th paragraph where it says if a player feigns to handball they will will told to play on or reset. If that means that the league decides on one option, fine. If it means they will leave it up to the umpires discretion on which option, then that’s *smile* and will make the rule even worse than it is now. I can just picture it now. Richmond has a shot for goal from around 50 out. We pretend to handball, umpire calls play on, player gets tackled, we get penalised. A minute later at the other end, opposition in the same scenario, pretends to handball umpire says no, go back and have your shot, they goal. You know it will happen.

I have a better, much more radical solution. Get rid of the *smile* rule. It was brought in the help the handbaggers get a flag. Goal achieved. If you step over the mark, penalised. If you move sideways or backwards on the mark, no penalty. Like it should be

Reactions: 14 users

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Saw this article today in the hun. Didn’t know how to find it on the website to post a link so I took a pic.

View attachment 17841

It’s only been a season or so and already this “brilliant” rule from SHocking needs tweaking. What concerns me is the 5th paragraph where it says if a player feigns to handball they will will told to play on or reset. If that means that the league decides on one option, fine. If it means they will leave it up to the umpires discretion on which option, then that’s *smile* and will make the rule even worse than it is now. I can just picture it now. Richmond has a shot for goal from around 50 out. We pretend to handball, umpire calls play on, player gets tackled, we get penalised. A minute later at the other end, opposition in the same scenario, pretends to handball umpire says no, go back and have your shot, they goal. You know it will happen.

I have a better, much more radical solution. Get rid of the *smile* rule. It was brought in the help the handbaggers get a flag. Goal achieved. If you step over the mark, penalised. If you move sideways or backwards on the mark, no penalty. Like it should be
There are also instances where you genuinely go to handball to a teammate running past, but change your mind at the last minute as the oppo is closing down faster than you thought. Will that be called play on?

Was listening to G Healy last night discussing this tweak to the rule. He thinks the stand rule should be different in the forward line, compared to the rest of the ground. OMG let's add even more complexity to an already sh!te rule! What a doofus.

Get rid of it!!

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Let's add more rules on top of new rules because that's the best way to make the game easier to umpire.

Umpires are biased pricks who hate Richmond, but can't help but feel a bit sorry for them trying to enforce all these overly subjective rules sHocking has introduced lately.

Universally hated is the stand rule, expect for the AFL syncophants who need to toe the AFL line.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
There are also instances where you genuinely go to handball to a teammate running past, but change your mind at the last minute as the oppo is closing down faster than you thought. Will that be called play on?

You would think that would be the instance where it would be reset, and play on when you are just foxing.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Rules to fix rules that are wrong.

More pressure on umpires.

This will go well.

This years round 5 interpretation adjustment for sure.

Reactions: 5 users

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
You would think that would be the instance where it would be reset, and play on when you are just foxing.
You would think so, but it would be up to the umpire's discretion whether he was foxing or genuinely looking to give off. With 4 field umpires this year...I smell trouble.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Happens nearly every time. They introduce a rule in a knee jerk reaction to fix a non existent problem, and then later on have to bring in new rules or alter the one they brought in to counteract its negative effect on the game. Leave the game alone, ffs!

Reactions: 3 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
And there’s the issue. It should be but again, umpires interpretation. Either get rid of the rule or it’s either play on OR reset. I’ll bag the umpires as much as the next bloke ( unless the next bloke is you TBR ;)), but they have enough on their plate with all the rules as it is. Also, some players are better actors than others, some players are smarter than others and some players are umpires pets and get away with stuff that most players couldn’t. Too much interpretations will make an already bad situation worse

Reactions: 4 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
So we leave it up to the umpires to read players minds again, that always works well.

Way beyond time the entire rule book was thrown in the bin and a clean sheet of paper was brought in. First rule to be applied when redrafting the rules would obviously be the KISS rule.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Happens nearly every time. They introduce a rule in a knee jerk reaction to fix a non existent problem, and then later on have to bring in new rules or alter the one they brought in to counteract its negative effect on the game. Leave the game alone, ffs!
This
There was no problem to fix

Reactions: 3 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The Tigers winning seems to have been the issue. :rolleyes:

I think it was a more specific issue than us just winning. It's that we beat Geelong in a Grand Final and they were frustrated by the way we were manning the mark.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
This
There was no problem to fix
There rarely ever is, Sin. The AFL get their media puppets to make a fuss about something and then trumpet that the game is in trouble, This puts the seed in people’s minds, and they have to bring in a new rule to fix a non existent problem. Hocking was one of the worst, because they introduced these rules with no trial or consultation.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
And there’s the issue. It should be but again, umpires interpretation. Either get rid of the rule or it’s either play on OR reset. I’ll bag the umpires as much as the next bloke ( unless the next bloke is you TBR ;)), but they have enough on their plate with all the rules as it is. Also, some players are better actors than others, some players are smarter than others and some players are umpires pets and get away with stuff that most players couldn’t. Too much interpretations will make an already bad situation worse

80% of umpiring is interpretation though Legends. It's the nature of footy and the reason our umpires cop it more than most.

Ironically though, when rules are made to be black and white, like deliberate out of bounds, they create more unhappiness with fans for not using a feel for the game which is essentially just interpretation.

As for the players I think what you are describing is the skill and ability of players. Some players have the speed of mind and kinaesthetic awareness to be able to draw more free kicks, and that's an advantage they create for themselves in the game.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Ironically though, when rules are made to be black and white, like deliberate out of bounds, they create more unhappiness with fans for not using a feel for the game which is essentially just interpretation.
Thought that rule was adjusted to be insufficient intent to keep the ball in play. Under either description it's a *smile* rule because it's based upon 3 or 4 different umpires each game reading minds and interpreting intent accurately dozens of times per game.

Simple way to clean up a lot of the mind reading required would be to change to last possession out free against.

Reactions: 1 users