Thomson Dow | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thomson Dow

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
I hated Dows game. Weak in the contest and didn't work as hard as I would like forward and back. But his hands are tremendous. Cant remember whether we kicked a goal but he set up a bloke inside 50 with hands Shedda wouldn't understand.

He's got a tool, just need to add some extra tools and give him a tool bag

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Ordinary player. Absolute plodder that can't kick. First round pick; seriously? Him and RCD 2 years in a row. Fair dinkum.

Might as well just throw darts at a *smile* board.

Reactions: 4 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
He’s got quick hands but as of now, he doesn’t yet appear to have much else.

Like this year was critical for Dawkins, so too will next year for Dow.
Needs to develop a stronger body, kicking skills, better option selection and an unflinching hardness for the contest.

Aside from the stronger body, can’t see him getting any of the others. He’s got 2023 left & that’s it.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
To me, Dow still looks likely.

I didn't hate his game today. He gets to the ball in the contest. Seems to have the right instincts. Ball use an issue.

He shouldn't be in the firsts. But he offers more than Aarts or Castagna.
He was horrible last week in the VFL
I fell off the couch they used him when Ross went out.
Can't blame him when our recruiting gas been horrendous.
We should take a leaf out of Geelongs book and start off loading them on ready made players. 5 picks under 30, just in case we fked up 4 of them??

Reactions: 1 user

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
First round pick hey….. geez
For those playing at home, Dow was taken at pick 20 which was the last pick of the first round. A quick look at players taken after him suggests that talent may have been light-on that year, particularly if you were after midfielders. Chad Warner being the notable exception but he was taken at pick 39 and passed over by pretty much every club at least once.

Reactions: 1 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
I dunno.
Will Brodie, utter trash for 3 years. Overnight it clicks, albeit at a different club. Does anybody see that happening with Dow or RCD? Not being facetious, could it happen?

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Had a look at the 2019 draft. Like RCD there is not much picked behind Dow who went end of first round at 21. Chad Warner is the stand out; but he went at 39 so every club missed him twice. Geez would love him at Richmond; he was dynamite on Friday against the Dogs. Wins his own ball, uses it well and run hard on the spread. Dow has no hope of reaching those heights.

Trent Rivers is the other obvious one. Premiership player but not a midfielder; still a much better player than Dow. Possibly mount a case for Deven Robertson who went immediately after Dow but hasn't set the world on fire at Brisbane; he's better than Dow at this stage though. Keidan Coleman looks pretty good at Brisbane but Academy selection so wouldn't have got him anyway.

Slim pickings in another thin draft.

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Ordinary player. Absolute plodder that can't kick. First round pick; seriously? Him and RCD 2 years in a row. Fair dinkum.

Might as well just throw darts at a *smile* board.
your carrying on like they were both top 10 picks.

Last edited:

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Dow had been very ordinary at VFL level for several weeks. Shaping as a delist. Certainly under pressure. Until the Collingwood game. when he lifted.

With Ross out we had to try something. I haven't watched the replay yet and wasn't there so I hav no idea if they are getting off him early. But he was ok for much of the game. His inside work was satisfactory in a game that unfairly demanded he play a senior role.

I wasn't expecting much. I will get around to having another look.

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
your carrying on like they were both top 10 picks.
Well they were both first rounders; certainly weren't speculative late draft picks. I think it is not unreasonable to expect better from first round picks; don't you?

Ross was pick 42 and he's been a better player than both; clearly.

Bill Haverchuck

Tiger Superstar
Jun 27, 2011
Problem for him is he lost a lot of weight and condition last year when he had appendicitis(i think) plus he had shoulder surgery this pre season which didn't help.
Main thing for me is he gets through to the end of the year without any injuries so he can have a big pre season and put on some size etc....
That still leaves his kicking not sure how much that can be improved?

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Well they were both first rounders; certainly weren't speculative late draft picks. I think it is not unreasonable to expect better from first round picks; don't you?

Ross was pick 42 and he's been a better player than both; clearly.
There's been duds in the top 10 so top 20 picks is no surprise.
As for Ross.Very marginal.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
19 centre bounces attended. 0 centre clearances. 6 stoppage clearances. He's an opportunist pickpocket, not a structural mid.

Reactions: 2 users