Thomson Dow | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thomson Dow

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
The thing is that some on this site are really quick at writing players off and then there is an equal propensity to overreact when they play well.
What is clearly happening is that to find out which of these kids are going to be long term Richmond players the club is trying to give them a run at a block of games rather than over reacting to a poor game. This is going to mean that when a young player has a stinker or two he may not get dropped straight away.
Dow is a case in point, his first two games this year were poor, he was a bit better last week and better again this week. He has been kept in the team.
It may also mean that someone like McAuliffe who is playing great in the vfl may have to wait, but his time will come.
So if I understand this correctly, bad form in the seniors will be rewarded whilst good form in the VFL will go unrewarded?
Think I get it. Different approach but whatever works.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
So if I understand this correctly, bad form in the seniors will be rewarded whilst good form in the VFL will go unrewarded?
Think I get it. Different approach but whatever works.
That’s a skewed way of looking at it

We are not dropping young players after one or two bad performances, we are giving them a block of games. Only 23 players can get picked every week.

The alternative is to chop and change every week and drop and elevate young players weekly based on one game.

Reactions: 2 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I'm still far from convinced he can make it. His first 3 games were terrible and he's now in his 5th year on the list. That said he played well yesterday and earned his spot. Hopefully he gets some great confidence from that and can put together a run of games with form like that.

Reactions: 1 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
I'm still far from convinced he can make it. His first 3 games were terrible and he's now in his 5th year on the list. That said he played well yesterday and earned his spot. Hopefully he gets some great confidence from that and can put together a run of games with form like that.
Confidence. He got better the longer the game went. I saw Him & Sony running up and down the G. They have a good bloke to watch and learn with Tarranto.

Reactions: 1 user

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Dowie is a slow burn f'sure and I am still not convinced he's gonna make it as the player we need him to be, but....
I liked his persistence yesterday after rolling the ankle.
Particularly a couple of times when he red-lined the ball in a sea of Saints; emerged without a stat but his involvement was important.
It was his turn and he went.
Like several of the young blokes, no question he is a beneficiary of the Yze confidence coaching style, and Hoppers absence is giving him continuity.
Graph still trending up.

Reactions: 3 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Does some good things when he commits himself to a contest. Unfortunately doesn't commit often enough.

Reactions: 1 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Just not strong enough. Get's brushed aside way too easily by the opposition.

Would be giving his minutes to Mcauliffe.

Reactions: 10 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Had the most pressure acts of any player in the side (25).
Works hard defensively & was looking pretty sharp before rolling his ankle.

I'm not sure he'll make it but he's not completely useless.

Reactions: 7 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Personally see more upside in Dow than Ross. Ross has almost 50 games on him. Statistically not much diff.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Just not strong enough. Get's brushed aside way too easily by the opposition.

Would be giving his minutes to Mcauliffe.
Makes way for Bakes this week for me. And McAuliffe to get an extended run.

Graham can have the vest. Sonz gets another full game to show his wares.

Dows had a good run of games time for another youngster to get a run at it.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Makes way for Bakes this week for me. And McAuliffe to get an extended run.

Graham can have the vest. Sonz gets another full game to show his wares.

He;s had a good run of games time for another youngster to get a run at it.
But. If Dow makes way for Bakes. How does another youngster get a run????
Well FMD. How did my replying to craig's comment suddenly get another line and a bit in it?