Thomson Dow | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thomson Dow

Good game against quality opposition.

You should always give newbies a month of footy.

Still unsure as to whether he has a future, but played to the level today.

Reactions: 2 users
18 disposals, 12 contested, 6 clearances, 72% disposal efficiency, against a highly rated opposition midfield.

Lifted today, and kept it going til the end. Well done, son.
Sorry it must be me BUT didn't offer anything in the middle. No influence at all. Don't look at stats. Couldn't kick from 50 out in that last qtr (could of cost us the game). IMHO NOT UP TO IT.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
A better game today and it did seem he wanted the ball more. A couple of his tackles really stuck when needed so today he gets a pass mark but could do much better

Reactions: 1 users
Glass half-full or glass half-empty type of game.
If you are half-full, you will highlight the improved offensive output and the great 4th quarter tackle.
If you are half-empty, you will highlight moments like the poor stoppage effort on Heeney's 1st goal and the crappy open field defensive effort on Campbell that resulted in the 1st goal of the 3rd term.

Glad they gave him a chance to make amends. It would have been easy and justifiable to drop him.
Offensively, we know he can do some stuff by hand if he can get to enough contests. Time will tell if he can improve enough on the other side to avoid being a defensive liability.

Reactions: 5 users
Did better. Clearly doesn't trust his kicking, around the ground or for goal, but was important around the contest.

Hopefully this isn't 1 of the "best" games, as that means his average sticks in the low teens. This needs to be his average performance.

Sorry it must be me BUT didn't offer anything in the middle. No influence at all. Don't look at stats. Couldn't kick from 50 out in that last qtr (could of cost us the game). IMHO NOT UP TO IT.
Maybe, but didn't offer anything in the middle and 6 clearances don't quite add up.

Lotsa good players can't kick from 50 and few ever would have 50% success at it.

Don't look at stats?

Liked his game a lot, a key to the win, just kept turning up in the clinches and putting in 1st, 2nd, 3rd efforts. 3 or 4 times today when the ball was pinging around in the pack, their big names were all in there, I expected them to win out, he stuck at it and got it out to a team mate or won the free. I was impressed. But, for the type of player he is he still has to get more of the ball, 20-25p min, but he was great today and encouraging form.

his coach seemed to think he was pretty good. go to the 4.20 minute mark of the press conference

Reactions: 1 user
He did lift today, and that’s what he needs to continue. Was more physical and handled the ball better. Weirdly, he seems to be one of our only players who can get awarded too high contact frees.

Amazing how much better players become when they work hard defensively as well.

Watching the replay, he had quite a few telling possessions under pressure and handballs given to advantage. Good in tight spots. Not surprised coaches like him. We broke even/beat one of the best midfields in the comp today, due in no small part to his efforts.

It’s good coaching innit?

Yze saw what we all saw last week and even said it in the presser - Dow got “pushed aside” against Port.

To give the young man, a player apparently disgusted with that performance, another shot in the guts in a big game speaks volumes of Yze.

We all know Dow may not have what it takes but if he fails to build a career at Richmond it won’t be down to poor development.

Reactions: 10 users
Defensive work up exponentially. Was incredible defensively. Ball use outstanding.

He’s got to do it again.

• Wow
It’s good coaching innit?

Yze saw what we all saw last week and even said it in the presser - Dow got “pushed aside” against Port.

To give the young man, a player apparently disgusted with that performance, another shot in the guts in a big game speaks volumes of Yze.

We all know Dow may not have what it takes but if he fails to build a career at Richmond it won’t be down to poor development.
Noticeably he started in the square.
Oozy backed him in.

Reactions: 1 user
Yze has stuck with him when many (probably including me) would have fired him out of a cannon. That's a credit to the coach & Thom.

Hope he builds from here.
This. Backed him in. Made it aware he was underperforming, but gave him chances.

Thomson may not make it, but I think Yze will find out by mid season and know he had given him the opportunity.

We all wanted him gone. Yze stuck fat and Dow repaid the faith.

One thing he is very good at is close in tight. Today he got handballs out of congestion when he shouldn’t have.

I jokingly said last week they'd keep him in and he'd get 25 disposals to make a case for staying in the side.

Well, he didn't get 25, but he certainly played himself into another couple of weeks.

Yze’s clearly trying rebuild some confidence in some players. Mojo, Dow, Miller, Balta...hopefully next is Cumberland.