Thomson Dow | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thomson Dow

We all wanted him gone. Yze stuck fat and Dow repaid the faith.

One thing he is very good at is close in tight. Today he got handballs out of congestion when he shouldn’t have.
What's this "we", Pale-face?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I’m still very much 50/50 on this kid. But he needs to keep playing. Showing glimpses, but only glimpses at the moment. He’s got some skills in the clinches, but needs to get his work rate up and defensive intent. And get the ball minimum 20 times a game

Reactions: 1 user
I’m still very much 50/50 on this kid. But he needs to keep playing. Showing glimpses, but only glimpses at the moment. He’s got some skills in the clinches, but needs to get his work rate up and defensive intent. And get the ball minimum 20 times a game
That game against the swans needs to be
Starting point, not convinced yet that he won't
Go back to being the spud he was before, time
Will tell.

The last 5 pages of this thread is pure PRE gold at its conflicted finest 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
A good game from TD, that is the standard that he needs to maintain.

Reactions: 1 users
He looked like he belonged yesterday. I was there and I saw him, Ross and Sony run up and down the ground all game.
His hands are quality. I need to see it again and again

There is certainly something there.. his hands are elite.. needs to round out in a lot of other areas. That set shot technique is horrific! Overall he took a big step forward yesterday but that needs to be the baseline every game.

Had a defensive role on Heeney at centre bounces. Played him from behind, pushing him into the contest. Textbook. Dow had four centre clearances (no one else had more than two). Heeney had one.

Dow 12 contested possessions. Bolton (13) the only player with more. Only one clanger. Probably a career-best game.

Reactions: 10 users
There is certainly something there.. his hands are elite.. needs to round out in a lot of other areas. That set shot technique is horrific! Overall he took a big step forward yesterday but that needs to be the baseline every game.
He didn’t take a set shot…. Didn’t trust himself to make the distance kicking into the wind with tired legs in the last Q… tried toput it to a hot spot but Swans defended it

He didn’t take a set shot…. Didn’t trust himself to make the distance kicking into the wind with tired legs in the last Q… tried toput it to a hot spot but Swans defended it
Fair enough… he has had a few shots this year and it’s a poor technique - no momentum whatsoever. Check it out

I want to believe. I really do, but, one good game in four won’t cut it. I want to see three good games in four at least.

Reactions: 2 users
The thing is that some on this site are really quick at writing players off and then there is an equal propensity to overreact when they play well.
What is clearly happening is that to find out which of these kids are going to be long term Richmond players the club is trying to give them a run at a block of games rather than over reacting to a poor game. This is going to mean that when a young player has a stinker or two he may not get dropped straight away.
Dow is a case in point, his first two games this year were poor, he was a bit better last week and better again this week. He has been kept in the team.
It may also mean that someone like McAuliffe who is playing great in the vfl may have to wait, but his time will come.

Reactions: 9 users
The thing is that some on this site are really quick at writing players off and then there is an equal propensity to overreact when they play well.
What is clearly happening is that to find out which of these kids are going to be long term Richmond players the club is trying to give them a run at a block of games rather than over reacting to a poor game. This is going to mean that when a young player has a stinker or two he may not get dropped straight away.
Dow is a case in point, his first two games this year were poor, he was a bit better last week and better again this week. He has been kept in the team.
It may also mean that someone like McAuliffe who is playing great in the vfl may have to wait, but his time will come.
Spot on with the concept of giving these blokes a “block of games” - and Dow is a good example

Even within a game it can change the mindset of taking a safe option to avoid a stuff-up rather than attempt a more attacking option.

Still like to see McAuliffe play though!

Not prepared to buy off the Dow Jones Index yet.
I agree.
One swallow doesn't make a summer, even if it does make you float in air yourself.
Hoping he builds, but every chance he gets 6 touches next week as well. No confidence in him yet.