Thoroughbred racing | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thoroughbred racing

an_oxford_man

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
Re: Thoroughbred Horce Racing

struggletown3121 said:
52 kgs with Ollie aboard??

Dont you think shes fit enough?

That depends...

If she is 10 - 1 then she is fit enough...

If she is 2.5 - 1 then, no, she is not.

But if Oliver can't lose enough weight to ride her then I'll cop 5 - 1.

bear

ohh yeh
Jan 30, 2005
Melbourn

Its not whether she is fit stuggle, its the jockey that worrys me.

And she is no good over 1000, more suited to 1200

FightingFury

Its back to Brooke time again!
Nov 25, 2003
Richmond

bear said:

She did cost me the quaddie last derby day with that half head loss.
Agree its not her pet distance either,but at odds im tempted to fly E-W.

bear

ohh yeh
Jan 30, 2005
Melbourn

Do a 5 horse quinella
cape of good hope
fastnet rock
alinghi
lilando
spark of life

hey stuggle do u know if strikeline is racing

an_oxford_man

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004

struggletown3121 said:

Same here. I was absolutely spewing on Nick Ryan!!!!!!!

The quaddie wouldn't have paid much anyway I suppose.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

struggletown3121 said:
bear said:

No chance of getting ew odds. She'll run at $2.50 or even less, especially once the spruik comes. Couldn't trust Lilando.

FightingFury

Its back to Brooke time again!
Nov 25, 2003
Richmond

I believe Strikeline is running,although I expect a glut of scratchings if it keeps raining.
Im a huge rap for Nick Ryan but that was a run he'd prefer to forget (Derby Day)
Alinghi was pulling and pulling and was let go miles too late....and still nearly did it.

Think the Quaddie would still have paid OK.
From memory it paid a few grand,even with the 25-1 shot downing Alinghi,still may have paid $500 or so :-\

I didnt think she'd start 2.20 Jim Bob,thought 3.50s in that field....why the strange handicap?

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004

WFA struggs. 3yo filly at 1000m.

Weight for Age sprints are usually put on for 3yo's but neither Alinghi nor Fastnet Rock is a speedster. Her best win of last prep was probably the Ascot Vale. Agreed, usually a weak race but she was impressive. Only beat Barely a Moment. I'd beat it at 6f. But it was damp and it seemed to suit her. On a hard track I would put a line through her name on the weekend.

My dad taught me an axiom many a year ago. Ignore weights at 5 furlongs.

We don't know much about the HK pony. Maybe multiples at a price. Don't pot Lilando jb. He ran most of the 1:08 that Takeover Time recorded for the Salinger. Not being a genuine 6f horse is hardly a disadvantage this week. au contraire. We're looking for a speedy squib ain't we? Likes the damp. (Must check heavy.)

Don't mind Strikeline. Any chance this meeting will be postponed or will it fine/dry up?

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121

Flemington meeting in doubt
By Patrick Bartley The Age
February 4, 2005

Any significant overnight rain on the already saturated Flemington racecourse will see tomorrow's group 1 Lightning Stakes meeting shifted to next Tuesday after the track absorbed more than 150 millimetres of rain up to 9am yesterday.

While horses from three major stables were being evacuated from low-lying points of Flemington racecourse, Victorian Racing Club officials were last night bracing themselves for more expected heavy rain.

At first light yesterday morning shocked racecourse officials discovered the Betting Ring, Bird Cage area and most car parks under water, while carpets in the administration block were ruined when water rushed through during the night.

Track manager Terry Watson said that more than 150mm had fallen at Flemington and stressed that the club's greatest problem was that the rising Maribyrnong river was halting any significant drainage from the water-logged track.

Watson and his staff said they would also be monitoring the high tide from the river. "We will watch the banks very closely as we don't have any idea of the amount of water that will rush through this evening," he said yesterday.

"Don't forget 150-odd mil is six inches in the old so you can now understand our plight. When the river gets so high it blocks any drainage from the track. We just have to wait and see what happens overnight."

Following the heavy overnight rain and subsequent minor flooding to some of the trackside facilities, a decision on whether the meeting will go ahead will be made at lunchtime today.

It is believed that some members of the VRC committee were privately urging the club to reschedule the meeting to Tuesday whatever the overnight weather produces.

One committeeman said last night: "If we go to Tuesday we are helping owners trainers and horses.

"We are staging a meeting based in the early part of the autumn and these horses have long campaigns ahead - in three days the track could nearly be good."

Trainers Brian Mayfield-Smith, Graeme Rogerson and Mike Moroney were yesterday forced to evacuate their stables because of fears that the Maribyrnong River would flood. The majority of the horses were taken to the nearby Showgrounds for stabling.

The Flemington racecourse was yesterday closed for all trackwork, a move seldom adopted by track officials.

VRC Chief Executive Dale Monteith said: "If the meeting is postponed on Saturday, Tuesday is considered the most appropriate day to reschedule the meeting to. This would allow time for horses that missed track work on Thursday to complete their preparation and allow for the facilities at Flemington appropriate time to recover from the excessive rain.

"Our aim is to race on Saturday at this stage, Flemington is a track which has shown great powers of recovery. In making the final decision, the safety of horses and jockeys will always be paramount," he said.

--

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Horse-Racing/Flemington-meeting-in-doubt/2005/02/03/1107409985327.html

kb7882

Tiger Champion
Jul 10, 2003
Lilydale

Spark of Life clearly on top. Conditions made to order. Has all the ticks.
Alinghi will enjoy the conditions, slight query over the 1000.
Fastnet Rock has no wet form, but class will take him a long way.
Cape of Good Hope has solid wet form, and obviously has a touch of class.

Couple of swimmers at ridiculous odds - Maybe McLaren and Tahni Girl. Not usually up to Group 1 WFA, but the wet track gives them rough chances.

The big 'smoky' may be Recapitalize. No wet form, but by Royal Academy, and they usually handle the ground. If he does get through it, he could be right up to these.

Good luck to you all, and may the punting gods smile on us :)

dmx

Formulating Intrinsic Mechanisms
Apr 21, 2004

Dyer'ere said:
WFA struggs. 3yo filly at 1000m.

Weight for Age sprints are usually put on for 3yo's but neither Alinghi nor Fastnet Rock is a speedster. Her best win of last prep was probably the Ascot Vale. Agreed, usually a weak race but she was impressive. Only beat Barely a Moment. I'd beat it at 6f. But it was damp and it seemed to suit her. On a hard track I would put a line through her name on the weekend.

My dad taught me an axiom many a year ago. Ignore weights at 5 furlongs.

We don't know much about the HK pony. Maybe multiples at a price. Don't pot Lilando jb. He ran most of the 1:08 that Takeover Time recorded for the Salinger. Not being a genuine 6f horse is hardly a disadvantage this week. au contraire. We're looking for a speedy squib ain't we? Likes the damp. (Must check heavy.)

Don't mind Strikeline. Any chance this meeting will be postponed or will it fine/dry up?

A wiley old punter once told me that when you bet on a straight race at FLemo, if its 6fs then you look for a horse that can run a real good fast mile, so with that in mind, ALinghi is an absolute bird tomorrow, rain hail or shine, since she will have the wide open spaces to be let down from the clocktower, and that last little bit of the straight, you need to be powering home, and I have to say, she has one of the most powerful finishing bursts I have ever seen. I say bird with one get out clause, and that is the toppy, the HK neddy is the unknown factor here, but I will take a sit against it, purely because I would be betting they are here for the Newmarket.

kb7882

Tiger Champion
Jul 10, 2003
Lilydale

Article in the Herald-Sun this morning seemed to be a lot more confident about the meeting going ahead than this Age article.
Des Gleeson, in particular, said 'that they could race now'.
I notice, however, that Sportsbet has no markets open on the Melbourne races. An unusual state of affairs, indeed. We'll just have to wait for this afternoon's track inspection.

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003

dmx said:
A wiley old punter once told me that when you bet on a straight race at FLemo, if its 6fs then you look for a horse that can run a real good fast mile,  so with that in mind, ALinghi is an absolute bird tomorrow

Um, the Lightning is over 5 furlongs dmx.

dmx

Apr 21, 2004

Disco08 said:
dmx said:
Dyer'ere said:
A wiley old punter once told me that when you bet on a straight race at FLemo, if its 6fs then you look for a horse that can run a real good fast mile,  so with that in mind, ALinghi is an absolute bird tomorrow

yes Disco, so if you use your powers of deduction, then if you need a good miler for the straight six, then I would be looking for a good 1400 horse for the straight 5, ummm.

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003

Actually, I don't think it would work like that at all. 5 furlong races call for out and out sprinters, not sprinter/milers. But go for it if you think it will work.

Also, considering Alinghi has raced at 1600 her last 3, for 2 group wins and a second, what makes you think she's a 1400 horse?

dmx

Apr 21, 2004

Disco08 said:
Actually, I don't think it would work like that at all. 5 furlong races call for out and out sprinters, not sprinter/milers. But go for it if you think it will work.

Also, considering Alinghi has raced at 1600 her last 3, for 2 group wins and a second, what makes you think she's a 1400 horse?

I really think she is a horse that can do it at any distance up to a mile and a quarter.
The real good ones can do it at any distance.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

Hartbalme said:

Couple of swimmers at ridiculous odds - Maybe McLaren and Tahni Girl. Not usually up to Group 1 WFA, but the wet track gives them rough chances.

The big 'smoky' may be Recapitalize. No wet form, but by Royal Academy, and they usually handle the ground. If he does get through it, he could be right up to these.

I've re-rad the post numerous times Balmy but I can't figure out who you are telling me to back?

dmx

Apr 21, 2004

jb03 said:
Hartbalme said:

I've re-rad the post numerous times Balmy but I can't figure out who you are telling me to back?

I think he saying box the field in the trifecta.

frahlee

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 26, 2004
MELBOURNE

dmx said:
Disco08 said:
dmx said:
Dyer'ere said:
A wiley old punter once told me that when you bet on a straight race at FLemo, if its 6fs then you look for a horse that can run a real good fast mile, so with that in mind, ALinghi is an absolute bird tomorrow

yes Disco, so if you use your powers of deduction, then if you need a good miler for the straight six, then I would be looking for a good 1400 horse for the straight 5, ummm.
Same info. I was fed at an early age DMX. 6 furlong @ Flemington is a mile elsewhere. This from my dear old grandad (rest his soul) who was a bookies bagman for a fair few years. Always seems to be something getting home hard and the leaders carve up more often than not. Recapitilize did win well at Flemington late last year but did have all the favours, smoothered up on the rail behind the leaders, rider blew his whistle with about 200 to go and sailed thru on the rails to win quite well. Not convinced that Fastnet is as good as he is being spruiked. Not hard to look above average in Sydney, racing is leagues below ours quality wise, though they'd never admit it. He's above average, no doubt, but I'd rather have mine on Alinghi as well. She loves Flemington, has already been tested in open class and will be a stronger filly with this latest spell under her belt. A few were disappointed when she got done against the older horses, but her run was again against the pattern on the day (leader biased) and her sectionals are always sensational.

dmx

Apr 21, 2004

frahlee said:
Same info. I was fed at an early age DMX.  6 furlong @ Flemington is a mile elsewhere.  This from my dear old grandad (rest his soul) who was a bookies bagman for a fair few years.  Always seems to be something getting home hard and the leaders carve up more often than not.  Recapitilize did win well at Flemington late last year but did have all the favours, smoothered up on the rail behind the leaders, rider blew his whistle with about 200 to go and sailed thru on the rails to win quite well.  Not convinced that Fastnet is as good as he is being spruiked.  Not hard to look above average in Sydney, racing is leagues below ours quality wise, though they'd never admit it.  He's above average, no doubt, but I'd rather have mine on Alinghi as well.  She loves Flemington, has already been tested in open class and will be a stronger filly with this latest spell under her belt.  A few were disappointed when she got done against the older horses, but her run was again against the pattern on the day (leader biased) and her sectionals are always sensational.

I would dare say that a few of the sceptics in regards to Alinghi tend to forget some of her outstanding wins that were like totally unbelievable at times. Not to mention that they were at Caulfield and they just dont do what she did at that track.

< Movies | NRL >