Thoroughbred racing | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thoroughbred racing

tigerman said:
G'day punters, Melbourne cup winner Cross Counter and third place getter Prince of Aaran are racing in the next in Dubai. I wouldn't have a clue about the form, but i'm full of lunatic soup after having a huge day on the punt.

In my drunken stupor i reckon they might be worth coupling up in 2 leg all ups with Brave Smash in the 4th and Southern Legend in the 7th, it's a Hong Kong horse that has got good form against Beauty Generation and is being ridden by Aussie hoop Zac Purton.

Hic hic

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Cross Counter was very impressive. No doubt he has good horses but Appleby seems to be a very good trainer. And unlike Winx, travels with horses to win races around the world.

jb03 said:
Cross Counter was very impressive. No doubt he has good horses but Appleby seems to be a very good trainer. And unlike Winx, travels with horses to win races around the world.

First up over 3200m win at that class is impressive. Wonder who will be the first Aust trainer to attempt something like that here (if ever)?

MD Jazz said:
First up over 3200m win at that class is impressive. Wonder who will be the first Aust trainer to attempt something like that here (if ever)?

Have heard it said we don't have the facilities to train horses like that here.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:

How can that be. Just run more laps around the track.

Didn't Mahogany run 2nd in the Cox Plate first up?

jb03 said:
How can that be. Just run more laps around the track.

Didn't Mahogany run 2nd in the Cox Plate first up?

He has 300 acres to train at. Not sure how it works at the major training centres. Aren't the horses allotted time slots to perform their trackwork? We certainly don't have anything to rival e.g. Newmarket.

Then again the comment I heard might've just been sour grapes from a trainer. Some trainers have certainly been jealous of the internationals having Sandown to themselves.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
He has 300 acres to train at. Not sure how it works at the major training centres. Aren't the horses allotted time slots to perform their trackwork? We certainly don't have anything to rival e.g. Newmarket.

Then again the comment I heard might've just been sour grapes from a trainer. Some trainers have certainly been jealous of the internationals having Sandown to themselves.

Blokes like mahar and warren and that can run them up 90 mile beach.

Thats 45 melbourne cups.

Uncos in a commanding march position. JB is up

JB
Leysy
Tman
Tigersnake
Spook
Stc
Bernie $0
Easy, $0
Elmer $55
44 $94

Balance =$139

[Mick] Kent explained the best Australian horses are the equal of the European stayers, it is just that they have a distinct advantage because of their training regime and facilities.

"They have had years and years of great aerobic work on much better ground. You can go over to Europe and buy a horse that hasn't had a lot of racing. They're sound and they've got a good base. That's the advantage."

Training precincts in Australia do not cater for horses in the same way they do in European countries.

"I've been training this horse at Newmarket for the last two months and just loved it. You can give a horse a race day stimulus on soft ground, up a hill and in a straight line. If you tried to work an Australian horse at race speed once a week on a training track ... around a tight circuit on a sand track ... you wouldn't have a horse left. They have that great advantage. They can go straight to a mile-and-a-half (2400m) first-up. The only way we can get that sort of fitness into them is by racing or barrier trialling them. Over there, they (the trainers) won't work them if the ground is a bit firm. They're very conscious of the firm ground."

"Those horses do it every day for so long. Over a year... that aerobic work day in and day out ... you become very good at staying."

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/turf-thoroughbreds/training-stayers-in-europe-akin-to-preparing-for-olympics/news-story/fc65e2d5182aa20b84af617f13dc56fe

LeeToRainesToRoach said:

Would have two races a year here if trying 3200m first up. Maybe could Adel And Syd Cup in Autumn. But only MC in Spring.

Loving Gaby finally draws a gate this sat and will appreciate the extra trip. Jmac aboard, likes it soft, running straighter each run, wins.

easy said:
Loving Gaby finally draws a gate this sat and will appreciate the extra trip. Jmac aboard, likes it soft, running straighter each run, wins.

Good luck easy

The TJ Smith is a cracking field, got a feeling in my water about Vega magic. He's got a very good first up record, barrier 3, and will be given a peach of a run by Ollie, have taken the $21 with the win boost.

tigerman said:
Good luck easy

The TJ Smith is a cracking field, got a feeling in my water about Vega magic. He's got a very good first up record, barrier 3, and will be given a peach of a run by Ollie, have taken the $21 with the win boost.

Your mr.longshot ATM Tman.

Im in very good G1 form,

So ill prob go Gaby, Trapeze, Hartnell i reckon.

Prepared to risk putting ossy bull in the bridesmaid bin

Put mine on early for change. FWIW:

6. Mads County
7. Santa Ana
8. Dixie B (now hooked forevermore.)
9. Spanish W

You can put a line through them winning now.

jb03 said:
In an attempt just to break the duck, Cranbourne race 6 no.2 at even money

Well done jb, little fish are sweet, you had the money a long way from home.

Well have ads on the wireless soon the way we're going. Unco's seem to have discovered the secret of free money for the most needy?

Good work JB, have another go next week.

JB $20
Leysy
Tman
Tigersnake
Spook
Stc
Bernie $0
Easy, $0
Elmer $55
44 $94

Balance =$159