Thoroughbred racing | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thoroughbred racing

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
he reckons AB was knobbled.

I'd say its much more likely they gave him a tranq while he was stuck in a float in 40 degrees for 4 hours waiting to win $2m. I struggle to describe how ******* hot and humid that day was. 20 year old Gold Coast beauticians in aircon would have stunk like homeless old men?

I really like Pierata tomorrow. The Handicapper hasn't missed him, but I think that because he is a couple of classes better than them. and finally theres a horse I really like better than 2-1
Your theory is sound imo.

Tiger44

Tiger Superstar
Sep 23, 2005
Fabric may be running at Bendigo Saturday test results pending. If they go ahead she is an excellent chance, currently $5. Great each way bet.

Reactions: 2 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Zahra. All clear!
Gives me the jimmies with every two bit commentator looking to be setting the agenda screeching why is racing still going.
One I cannot believe how many people want to put others out of work so they feel better but more its ignorance of the way they have structured the whole racing environment and ignorance of the disease. Idiots saying how can they keep 1.5m away during a race....well the elapsed time of a whole Rae meeting is less than 12 minutes and i reckon I had a dozen under 1.5 contacts in 30 minutes of shopping yesterday.
Yes it is on borrowed time but what is gained by a premature closure?
Those who know racing also know that other Saturday city and country cups every race meeting would meet the toughest of crowd restrictions.

Reactions: 1 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
But where it's still viable why not soldier on? Alternative is to add 25000 people to the dole queues.
I get that but the messaging is slightly askew. Like the AFL trying to solder on - that industry shutting has also sent a bucketload of people to the dole queue - or the people at the beach they were probably safe too.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I get that but the messaging is slightly askew. Like the AFL trying to solder on - that industry shutting has also sent a bucketload of people to the dole queue - or the people at the beach they were probably safe too.
The messaging needs to come from the govt. whether it's racing or any other industry if they meet the criteria they are entitled to stay open and I would argue should. Now is not the time for moralising. But racing has become a whipping boy for the media and wider public on so many issues so it's no surprise at all. (footy shut primarily because the states put travel restrictions on not because of any proximity rule changes... have I got that right?)

Reactions: 1 user

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
An open letter to participants in the
Australian Thoroughbred Racing Industry
31 March 2020

Dear Racing Participants,

On behalf of Racing Australia's Directors, Executive Management and staff members, I wish to express our concern to all participants in thoroughbred racing who are facing critical challenges as a consequence of COVID-19.

The Australian people are experiencing an unprecedented public health and economic crisis. The scale of the impact is unknown, however, we do know that the Federal, State and Territory governments have acted decisively in response to the public health and economic threat. What is indisputable is the significant effects of COVID-19 on small to medium enterprises and large corporations that have contributed to the prosperity of racing.

I am pleased to report that Racing Australia has been working closely with Principal Racing Authorities, to ensure continuation of thoroughbred racing across Australia. Our objectives are simple:
  • to keep racing going,
  • to maintain employment within our sport for the majority of our 74,000 plus full-time participants, and
  • to ensure that equine welfare is kept at the highest level.
These are proud achievements that would not have occurred without your compliance to the new protocols implemented by Australian racing. Our responsibility is to follow the advice of the National Cabinet, the Principal Racing Authorities and medical experts to ensure thoroughbred racing stands the best chance to continue.

This means, when at work, follow the protocols put in place by your Principal Racing Authority at all times. And when not at work, stay at home, obey social distancing and wash your hands! This is vitally important for the ongoing viability of the industry we love and which supports so many livelihoods.

Racing Australia has engaged experts to represent our interests to governments throughout Australia. Racing Australia, working together with our advisors and the Principal Racing Authorities, has submitted an extensive analysis to the National Cabinet this past weekend.

The report highlights:
  • Australian racing's economic contribution of around $9.5 billion with 51% generated in regional Australia
  • 28,157 racehorses ran during the 2018/19 racing season
  • 4.2 million people attended a race-meeting last year
  • Nearly 160,000 people participate in thoroughbred racing
  • 21,425 volunteers make racing possible
  • $728.8 million in prize money was paid out last racing season
  • Caring, exercising and maintaining a Thoroughbred is a 24/7/365 commitment
  • A return to racing, should we be forced to close, is not simply a matter of turning on a tap. A 2-month closure is effectively a 6-month closure.
On behalf of Racing Australia, I sincerely hope that you all remain safe and healthy throughout these tough times and please don't drop your guard. We need everyone to do their bit.

Greg Nichols
Chairman
Racing Australia
Racing Australia Ltd (ACN 105 994 330)
www.racingaustralia.horse

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
A great days racing at Randwick on Saturday.

I'm going to have an each way bet on Melody Belle in the Donny. She's equal top weight and drawn the carpark, but I love her and reckon she'll be storming home.
The track looks like being slow, maybe even heavy. I'd be all over Shadow Hero like a rash in the Derby if the track was good.