Thoroughbred racing | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thoroughbred racing

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
The reasons that the stewards gave for dismissing the protest were moronic. No faith they know what they are doing.

Tiger44

Tiger Superstar
Sep 23, 2005
what were the reasons?
So the stewards agreed that Anamoe got taken off its line but because it still had 100m to catch the "winner" and didn't then it wouldn't have won anyway. ????????? What a load of dribble. (Yes, talking out of my pocket...)

Reactions: 2 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
So the stewards agreed that Anamoe got taken off its line but because it still had 100m to catch the "winner" and didn't then it wouldn't have won anyway. ????????? What a load of dribble. (Yes, talking out of my pocket...)
I just don't get it either. If it had caught the winner it would have won anyway so wouldn't have had need to protest.

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
The report didn't say "taken off his line", though.
Prior to correct weight, rider Craig Williams (Anamoe, 2nd placegetter) lodged an objection against State Of Rest (IRE) (J. Allen, 1st placegetter) being declared the winner on the grounds of alleged interference in the home straight. After taking evidence from all parties concerned and viewing the patrol videos, Stewards established that passing the 100m, State Of Rest (IRE) shifted in and brushed Anamoe before being straightened by its rider, John Allen, and both horses then raced unimpeded to the line. It was the Stewards' view that had the incident passing the 100m not occurred that State Of Rest (IRE) would have finished in front of Anamoe, so therefore dismissed the objection and correct weight was declared.
https://www.racing.com/form/2021-10-23/the-valley#/stewards-report

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I just don't get it either. If it had caught the winner it would have won anyway so wouldn't have had need to protest.

racing stewards are even more likely to be crooked as politicians and cops. The money is much closer.

Tiger44

Tiger Superstar
Sep 23, 2005

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

About half way through the article Cram agrees that Anamoe was "taken off its line". This is not the final Stewards Report but an interview with Cram (Chief Steward)
Fair enough, there is some mixed messaging. I wouldn't consider "brush" and "bump" to be interchangeable, but "bump" is the writer's word, not the steward's.

Tiger44

Tiger Superstar
Sep 23, 2005
Fair enough, there is some mixed messaging. I wouldn't consider "brush" and "bump" to be interchangeable, but "bump" is the writer's word, not the steward's.
Brush or bump - either way Anamoe was taken off its line and therefore the only question should be did that interference cost it more than the final margin? My view (and my Bank Manager's) is that it did. Obviously the Stewards thought otherwise.

Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Yeah very strange tactics by the Captivant connections. Seemed at complete odds with his general racing style. Maybe he wasn’t much hope of winning the race but the way they rode him gave him zero chance. I thought Anamoe was probably best credentialed horse but Captivant was within half a length of him in the Guineas and was 4 times the price. So backed him each way. Those tactics gave him no chance.
Do you ever think that, in some of the big races, if there's no natural keen front-runner, someone is 'encouraged' to be the pacemaker? Some incentive provided to a group whose horse has little chance of winning significant prize money? It's crossed my mind.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Brush or bump - either way Anamoe was taken off its line and therefore the only question should be did that interference cost it more than the final margin? My view (and my Bank Manager's) is that it did. Obviously the Stewards thought otherwise.

i dont reckon you can 'brush' a horse thats coming from behind.

i think you need to be passing to brush.

when your being passed, its kind of gotta be a bump, by my understanding of english and racing.

bit pissweak by the stewards IMO. Steve Hocking type stuff.

disclosure: i backed Mo'unga, who was 'buffeted' off balance by Allen on the turn, so slightly bias against the winner.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
i dont reckon you can 'brush' a horse thats coming from behind.

i think you need to be passing to brush.

when your being passed, its kind of gotta be a bump, by my understanding of english and racing.

bit pissweak by the stewards IMO. Steve Hocking type stuff.

disclosure: i backed Mo'unga, who was 'buffeted' off balance by Allen on the turn, so slightly bias against the winner.
I'm still seething eZyT, if the protest is upheld, I've got 3 Multis.

If Williams was allowed to ride his mount like he was before he got "brushed" he wins!! He had to stop using the whip, and got pushed into the inferior going.

Last edited:

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I'm still seething eZyT, if the protest is upheld, I've got 3 Multis.

If Williams was allowed to ride his mount like was before he got "brushed" he wins!! He had to stop using the whip, and got pushed into the inferior going.
The inferior going argument doesn't hold as it is subjective opinion. The rest is valid.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The inferior going argument doesn't hold as it is subjective opinion. The rest is valid.

"There may have been no crowds but that didn’t stop the theatre that is the Cox Plate and it was a day out for the Irish.

The track didn’t offer a lot of excuses. The inside section wasn’t the place to be, but most were able to get away from it to get their chance. As it can be it was a bit of a graveyard for punters with just the two outright favourites winning and half the card well into double figures. Hopefully the bookies got plenty to take us on for Cup week
."

The protest being dismissed cost me 3 Multis, let me wallow in my misery:cry::)

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
"There may have been no crowds but that didn’t stop the theatre that is the Cox Plate and it was a day out for the Irish.

The track didn’t offer a lot of excuses. The inside section wasn’t the place to be, but most were able to get away from it to get their chance. As it can be it was a bit of a graveyard for punters with just the two outright favourites winning and half the card well into double figures. Hopefully the bookies got plenty to take us on for Cup week
."

The protest being dismissed cost me 3 Multis, let me wallow in my misery:cry::)

Fair enough. I backed Anamoe too. Initially i thought no chance but the more replays I watched the more I thought upheld was a chance. THe most infuriating part was the reason they gave for dismissing the protest.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Fair enough. I backed Anamoe too. Initially i thought no chance but the more replays I watched the more I thought upheld was a chance. THe most infuriating part was the reason they gave for dismissing the protest.
Yes, exactly.

I wonder what the protest result would've been if they were two Australian horses.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
can anyone in Melbourne give me a track condition projection for Flemington Saturday?

BOM suggests a Good 4?

But if it can get to Soft, Collette an enormous chance in the G1 mares @ 6's

(she's a big chance on good also, but she is the best wet track miler+ in the country IMO)

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
A few showers over the next few days but not a lot of rain, I don't think. 4 or 5 track I'd say.