Tigers looking yellow, but not yet black (The Age) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers looking yellow, but not yet black (The Age)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Tigers looking yellow, but not yet black
November 27, 2004

In the first of a new series, our resident medic trains his stethoscope on Punt Road.

If you are a Tiger, you would be feeling quite toothless right now - 25 years of failure, made of five consecutive five-year plans that have produced three wooden spoons. If I was a vet, I'd call for the tranquilliser; not for the tiger but for you.

Still, as a doctor, I feel well-qualified to fix it, so the AFL's champion of broken promises can leap 15 rungs and win the 2005 AFL premiership. How? By not changing a thing.

I consider 2004 a season full of interesting portents from the league's anorexic heavyweight. Four wins were scavenged from a possible 22. More ominous are the VFL/AFL records that show the Yellow and Black have not beaten 2005 premier Port Adelaide since 1998 or, for that matter, some club called University since 1914.

But this is where the bad news stops. On the field, Ty Zantuck, a backman who walks as though carrying invisible suitcases, has a public breakdown. It is, as we say in psychiatry, "positive anger". He can take no more and slams Hawk Mark Williams' rag-doll head into the MCG mud over and over again.

Then he pleads to leave Richmond. He's sick of the senior players. The club says yes, but counters he's a disruptive influence. So what senior players are the club protecting?

Surely it's not Darren Gaspar, the $600,000 defender whose house is hermetically sealed because he's allergic to dust. It might be Wayne Campbell, the only AFL footballer in history to do a career-threatening injury celebrating someone else's goal. It's not David Rodan, aka the Human Vacuum Cleaner, because he's too young to be old, and everyone loves young Krakouer, despite the fact the kid hardly touches the footy.

Most probably, Zantuck is sick of Richo, the big No. 12 who runs as though remote-controlled by a giddy four-year-old girl in pig tails.

At the end of season 2004, a fellow called Plough replaced another called Spud to mastermind a five-year plan, presumably one with a rural theme. Lying on the couch in my 24-hour psychotherapy surgery, Plough revealed his new forward strategy. Campbell will play forward-pocket and kick 25 goals, or, in Tiger leadership speak, be injured 25 times.

Nathan Brown will be in the other pocket to kick 40 or so. Richo will patrol the centre half-forward line for Iraqi terrorists and bees.

How did that make you feel, Plough? I asked. Plough said he held a man-to-man conference with Richo. He took the superstar through the strategy on the club whiteboard but warned him not to go too far the other way and stray into the back line, especially near Zantuck.

"There will be an invisible electric fence five metres beyond the centre half-forward line," he said. "If you cross it, you will be zapped!"

Richo startled and got up to leave. He missed the door, had another go, missed it, had another go, missed it. "Go straight at the door!" Plough said. He had another go, missed it, then finally walked straight through the middle.

But, as Plough confessed, if Richo swallows the invisible electric fence thing, he may be too scared to move at all.

The Tiger Army are on the march. The only way is up. Football is played in the mind and that loon Zantuck and his baggage are not gone yet. He is the future and should be captain.

I'm not a vet. I can't physically help a sick tiger. But in this case, I don't need to. At Tigerland, it ain't broke, so for goodness sake, don't fixx it.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/articles/2004/11/26/1101219746191.html

Woohoo, hahah, lol, what a riot.

Hysterically funny. Oh please make it stop. It's so hilarious it must be written by Monty python and Rowan Atkinson.

ROTFLMAO ...hahahah...lol...TIMO

[/thickest heaviest sarcasm]

::)

Brilliant.
Loved the angle on Ty Zantuck.
Maybe he is the only sane Tiger player. How could any player, with any pride, go through such a dreadful season and not show any emotion. All the others seem to have gone through it as if absolutely nothing was wrong.
Full credit to Ty for expressing frustration where it was clearly warranted.

Understand the humour in the article.....but i simply pine for the not too distant future when the RFC will be synonymous with success and respect rather than failure and ridicule!

Are we sure this crap is from THE AGE ?

Sounds more like the British Tabloid

jb03 said:
Looks like it was written by claw.
jb i would dearly love to put my name to it but alas i cant take credit for this masterful piece of work.
it could be the next best thing it could be digglers.

Goodness me, some borderline illiterate got paid to write that poorly constructed, unfunny drivel?

'The Age' really has become a rag. Still, I guess if a hack like that can get paid work there then anybody who can actually string words together coherently should feel some sense of hope...

Ms Tantie.
xox

gustiger12 said:
It is the biggest load of crap I have ever read. :(

Totally with you on that Gus, although I did (unfortunately) laugh at the "patrolling for Iraqi terrorists and bees" comment!!!

That article is by far the most idiotic piece of crap i have ever read, and i'm not saying that because it is sort of (?) bagging Richmond, it's because its just an absolutely stupid article.

Hmm... so many conflicting emotions. How to express them...

PUNCH!

I though that was a well written slag-off. I'd imagined i'd enjoy that, had it been written about somebody else. It does infuriate me to see an article with such a clear intention of rustling Richmond and their supporters' feathers, though.

Just a couple of questions to anybody who knows the answers. Who wrote it? Who does he/she barrack for?
I have a sneaking suspicion it was written by a male Richmond supporter (no not you claw).

I thought "invisible electric fence" was weak. (I thought it was all pretty weak.) "Suitcases". Lame *smile* and wrong. Have they let the cubs loose at the typewriter and the liquor cabinet? Better lock the typewriter next time.

"Doctor Fixx was speaking to Tony Hardy.
If you think you can out-diagnose the good doctor, send your suggestions for how to cure the ills at Tigerland to [email protected]"

The above is the byline from The Age article. It includes a challenge. Shall we start our reply on this thread? The theme should be medical according to the challenge.

I'd go for it Dyer'ere.

I read it again, trying to look at it from a "stupid" point of view and i still couldn't relate to it.

And to think this is going to be a "series". ::)

shall we workshop the "diagnosis to outdiagnose all diagnoses" or shall we all put our two-bob in? (that's a lot of bob!)

who wants to start the bidding?

Personally, I'm not getting up tight about it. There are another 15 weeks to sit back now and laugh at the jibes written about other clubs' problems.

Next week we can laugh at the not so happy hawkers.