Tigers select Thomas Roach | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers select Thomas Roach

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
jackstar
I really hope Thomas is a success. Disco Roach gave the supporters plenty to cheer about.
I wonder what nickname Thomas will get ?

Not sure on that one jacstar...... but you can guarantee it wont be 'the tank'.

Laff

September showers
Dec 19, 2002
Here here this again smacks of another David Bourke in the making....I hope I am wrong....I can't see why the Tigers had to make the decision now, whats the hurry again they have lifted their skirt before being asked to dance

sean pean

No. 6
Jul 12, 2003
Frankston
www.groovejett.com
if the draft is as thin as some are suggesting then we may as well pick up roachy now.

dont worry about his size, at 17 it can be worked on. anyhow look at McGrath...

may as well start now.

with those bloodlines hes worth a try

with the number factor getting a solid mention in the press id say its a foregone conclusion that pettifer is gone, well and truly.

good luck mate

M

Merv18

Come on guys, and girls, give the kid a break! He's not as big as Disco, but he's been recruited as an on-baller, not a full-forward. God knows we could use a couple a kids in the middle who bleed black and yellow. (See Kane Johnson). From what I hear, Roach the younger has courage to burn (See Mark Coughlan) and a good footy brain - something not exactly in abundance at present.

At least we're picking up a kid - so why don't we give him a go?

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
Well at least you've got someone whom has passion and wants to be at the club.

Lets give Thomas a go. If he is half as good as Michael, then we have a winner.

I've actually read somewhere that Thomas has a very good football brain and can win the ball at of the centre.

Lets give young Roachy a go !.

Looks like Thomas will get his dream of wearing the No 8, as Pettifer, I reckon his days are numbered. Hasnt improved a bit since coming to Tigerland and thinks his good when he is not short of crap.

spiritofrichmond

" I have a DREAM "
Jul 10, 2003
Blackburn
Harry said:
Why are they rushing into this decision. By all reports Roach is very average.

Would it be due to all the anger expressed by the supporters and one way of distracting them - "Don't cry little one, look here's a chocolate for you" ;D
/quote]I am glad that supporters like you have enough nous not to fall for another heart warming announcement when the situation at the club is woeful.
It's sad that they have turned us into such cynics but who could blame us.
Using a top 40 draft pick on a kid for sentimental reasons is not a decision they would have taken if a Pagan / Matthews / Sheeds or Malthouse were coaching us.
I am certainly not excited about it but pray to God that I am wrong.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
alleycat said:
well done tigers another unproven father son rule another bourke? who the hell is the recruiting officer down there?

Funny I thought every kid - whether they be father/son or in the draft are "unproven" because they are kids

And as Merv18 - for god sake we have actually taken a 17 y.o. - isn't that what the majority has been crying out for

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
At least he can start training with the boys right away and Richmond can control his development and training programme to an extent. start getting him in the weights room early.
I dont have a problem with the early statement.

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
Must have been 15 other clubs in line to use their first draft pick, no disrespect to Tom but it smacks of a PR job to give us something else to talk about. He sounds like a level headed kid and I'm sure that we all hope he turns out to be a champion who plays in a handfull of flags.

hungry1

eat em alive tigers
Apr 4, 2003
melbourne
Shawry - you think that him getting down to training now is a good thing for his development?? They don't have much of a track record!! Maybe the longer he stays away the better. ;)

I wish him all the best.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Geez, give the kid a break...most of you lot could pull a bag of negatives out of a premiership.

Let's hope the kid can play. At least he appears to have a brain, so that puts him way ahead of half our list to start with.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Dean3 said:
Geez, give the kid a break...most of you lot could pull a bag of negatives out of a premiership.

Funny you should say that Dean3 - I said to a board member we could a win a premeirship and there would be those who would still call for the sacking of the coach.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
I've only ever seen Thomas at training. And I don't know that you could take anything much from the bit I did see.

However, I'm more than happy to give him a go. Seeing Thomas being interviewed on tv and then again hearing him on radio, he seems, as some have pointed out, to have a brain. He can think and speak for himself. Has plenty of enthusiasm and loves Richmond. That's a long way ahead of some.

He's already had some setbacks in his short career and worked his way through all of that.

Maybe all of that doesn't mean much to some, but it does to me.

Good luck Thomas. You deserve it.

Here's to a mighty career at Richmond. Glad to have you here.

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
I hope Tom turns out to be a great player for the club, and he certainly has my full support. Rather see a young guy on the list who will bust his gut for the club that more rejects from other clubs. Good luck Tom

The only thing i question is the timing of the announcement, why have we announced it so early?

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
Give the kid a break. He's going to be under enough pressure as it is without all of us jumping on his back before he's even got started. You can't buy loyalty.

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
Like I said last night the chat the guy (feel like saying kid but it's a bit hard to call someone your age a kid :D) has been at the club for 5 minutes and some of you have already started. Give him a break. Lets see what he can do before we start bagging him. Save your bagging for someone who deserves it... Like Pettifer! ;D
Good luck Tom, hope you prove to some of these clowns that you were worth our precious no. 3 pick ;)

g0tigers

carn the mighty tiges
Jun 16, 2003
Victoria, Australia
jeezzzz give the kid a break you guys!! i thought most of you would be jumping for joy for 2 reasons -

1) Pettifer looks to be walking on hot coals

2) we have drafted a yound kid, instead of a washed up hack.

think of it this way, instead of bagging roachy (who could for all anyone knows turn out to be a star) turn all your energy in to bagging pettifer because it seems he only has 3 more weeks left....