Tigers v Casey Round 5 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers v Casey Round 5

ricky68

Tiger Cub
Mar 1, 2023
A great team effort today and the boys after four rounds seemed to have really gelled.....or should I say there appears to be a complete buy into Morris' system and culture. Almost McRae like!
Undermanned and undersized and playing away, everyone played their role well.
Ross looked good in traffic and Bauer was solid again in defence. Young lads Teal read the play well and looked solid in defence, and while May's numbers were low (one goal and two goal assists) he played against Tomlinson who looked in good nick, and also spent time in the ruck.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
A great team effort today and the boys after four rounds seemed to have really gelled.....or should I say there appears to be a complete buy into Morris' system and culture. Almost McRae like!
Undermanned and undersized and playing away, everyone played their role well.
Ross looked good in traffic and Bauer was solid again in defence. Young lads Teal read the play well and looked solid in defence, and while May's numbers were low (one goal and two goal assists) he played against Tomlinson who looked in good nick, and also spent time in the ruck.

Good stuff. Just needed to add: ... to defeat a previously undefeated VFL team (and last year's premier, I think?)

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Dunno what happened but the Big Muttley was gimping around a bit during the second qtr and only played a minute or two after half time. Another KPP size player out injured for a few weeks?????

BiddiscombeSkills

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 2, 2005
I really want to like Sam Banks. Beautiful kick, great size.

But geez, right now he has to be the most outside player on our list. So many times I saw him standing static, 20 metres away from the ball, wondering why nobody was kicking it to him.

If the game plan is going to be more of what we saw this round, he’s going to have to position better, or even try something really novel and go and get his own ball every now and then.

Cos at the moment he looks entitled, ineffectual, and a hell of a long way off the pace.

I’m hoping he’s not another Corey Ellis.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I really want to like Sam Banks. Beautiful kick, great size.

But geez, right now he has to be the most outside player on our list. So many times I saw him standing static, 20 metres away from the ball, wondering why nobody was kicking it to him.

If the game plan is going to be more of what we saw this round, he’s going to have to position better, or even try something really novel and go and get his own ball every now and then.

Cos at the moment he looks entitled, ineffectual, and a hell of a long way off the pace.

I’m hoping he’s not another Corey Ellis.
If you read the vfl reports from Steve Morris he has often said that part of the problem is that the team has not used him when he is free. They would like him to get his own ball more but they would also like him to be used as an outlet far more than he is.
Richo has expressed a view that he is a player who would be better in the AFL with better players around him, using his strengths.

Reactions: 1 user

BiddiscombeSkills

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 2, 2005
If you read the vfl reports from Steve Morris he has often said that part of the problem is that the team has not used him when he is free. They would like him to get his own ball more but they would also like him to be used as an outlet far more than he is.
Richo has expressed a view that he is a player who would be better in the AFL with better players around him, using his strengths.
Yep, I’ve read those reports, and seen Richo’s comments.

But watching the game yesterday, I’m not surprised he’s not being used as an outlet as much as he seems to think he should be. Standing still hoping for a 20 metre lateral pass is not adding a lot of value.

Maybe I’m being overly harsh - like I said, I want to like him. And it’s not like he doesn’t get the ball - he’s no MRJ. He’s just a bit meh. Ok VFL player, Miles away from AFL on current form.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Whilst he played well & we know by now Jack Ross is too good for VFL level, it doesn't help us at AFL level.
We have better ,similar types than Jack in the midfield already. Mid paced & not a great kick. It sounds familiar..but they're still better.

Bauer similarly whilst ok today I don't see where he gets a game in the snrs.
Who's he punting from defence? Balta? Young? Grimes? Vlastuin?

These guys aren't the answer to our woes unfortunately. The cupboard is bare until a few others get back from injury.
Selling Bauer short I reckon TOO. Grimes the most suspect to injury, and neither he or Floss are anywhere near their best. Floss just as likely to do something stupid and get rubbed out for 4 weeks. And Broady a free agent at the end of the year.

I reckon we have a LT player. Pretty good game on Ben Brown.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Selling Bauer short I reckon TOO. Grimes the most suspect to injury, and neither he or Floss are anywhere near their best. Floss just as likely to do something stupid and get rubbed out for 4 weeks. And Broady a free agent at the end of the year.

I hope you're right in that we do have a long term player to replace those aging stars. VFL a fair bit different to AFL though.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

But watching the game yesterday, I’m not surprised he’s not being used as an outlet as much as he seems to think he should be. Standing still hoping for a 20 metre lateral pass is not adding a lot of value.

Maybe I’m being overly harsh - like I said, I want to like him. And it’s not like he doesn’t get the ball - he’s no MRJ. He’s just a bit meh. Ok VFL player, Miles away from AFL on current form.
He does need to get more involved and hopefully that comes. I really like his skill set, very much like the modern day winger needs.
If he doesn’t step up the contested stuff he will be another Patrick Naish unfortunately but he has some time, only turned 20 very recently

Reactions: 1 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Whilst he played well & we know by now Jack Ross is too good for VFL level, it doesn't help us at AFL level.
We have better ,similar types than Jack in the midfield already. Mid paced & not a great kick. It sounds familiar..but they're still better.

Bauer similarly whilst ok today I don't see where he gets a game in the snrs.
Who's he punting from defence? Balta? Young? Grimes? Vlastuin?

These guys aren't the answer to our woes unfortunately. The cupboard is bare until a few others get back from injury.
All due respect, but I disagree completely.

Ross has looked comfortably at the level every time he's played AFL. He's one of the only in form midfielders on our list. One which includes Prestia, Martin, Cotchin, Bolton, Taranto.

You have to play your in form players. Out of form players means an out of form team.

Ross should be in the 22. He has earned his spot, and will make us better, especially if he places one of our currently non performing midfielders. Whichever of our midfielders plays poorest tonight should go out for Ross. I don't care if it's Cotchin, Taranto, Prestia.

Reactions: 5 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014

Maybe its more about positioning??
Coaches asking him to hold his width and not get sucked into the contest.
It might look off to us but an important set up in his game.
In time he will do it better.

Also think he could do with stints on the ball to improve his work in close.
Practice both environments

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I hope you're right in that we do have a long term player to replace those aging stars. VFL a fair bit different to AFL though.
Team picture with Bauer in defense is we need cover.
We have no reserves to replace an injury in our backline, although Broad does come back next week.

I'd guess he returns to the forward line next season

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
All due respect, but I disagree completely.

Ross has looked comfortably at the level every time he's played AFL. He's one of the only in form midfielders on our list. One which includes Prestia, Martin, Cotchin, Bolton, Taranto.

You have to play your in form players. Out of form players means an out of form team.

Ross should be in the 22. He has earned his spot, and will make us better, especially if he places one of our currently non performing midfielders. Whichever of our midfielders plays poorest tonight should go out for Ross. I don't care if it's Cotchin, Taranto, Prestia.
Well said, when Ross has been played as a midfielder he has done well. Should never of been dropped, must get a block of games now to be given every chance to see what he can do.

Reactions: 3 users

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Well said, when Ross has been played as a midfielder he has done well. Should never of been dropped, must get a block of games now to be given every chance to see what he can do.

Would have been great to get to see Ross played to his strength, instead of being put on the Wing (lack of pace), HBF (*to learn*) and in the forward line (why?).

I feel that if he was left in the guts, he would be a happier, more confident and productive player than we are seeing now.

Reactions: 4 users

Tig3

🐯
Nov 21, 2022

With Grimes’ injury history could be see him have a rest next week maybe? Give Bauer one game in the seniors. Young also may need a rest as a young player, but he’s 24 so not like an 18/19 year old kid whose body isn’t fully developed so I guess he could be alright to keep going :unsure: