To Noldo, or not to Noldo, that is the question...... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

To Noldo, or not to Noldo, that is the question......

7-5 against clearance record in finals since 2017. ;)
As I have heard many times we don’t necessarily value clearances as highly as post clearance possessions - which are turnovers when we don’t win first possession.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah exactly, we roll one back plus one behind the ball and allow the opposition plus one at the contest.

We literally want them to win the ball first and then kick it to us so we can launch. Unless we make a dramatic change to that then I can't see clearances being important to us.
Except in the 2020 finals where we became a clearance first team.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah exactly, we roll one back plus one behind the ball and allow the opposition plus one at the contest.

We literally want them to win the ball first and then kick it to us so we can launch. Unless we make a dramatic change to that then I can't see clearances being important to us.
Makes it harder to win it back with the stand rule.

Reactions: 3 users
didn't Dusty carry a niggling foot issue from early in the season ?
with news of him doing more midfield time , and being surrounded by Cotch ,
Edwards , Lambert , Prestia , Bolton ....

we can improve our centre clearances and our general defense thru the midfield without doing anything special
and that will take a load off our defense

and with the possibility of Balta going forward

we might have the comp chasing us again :)

7-5 against clearance record in finals since 2017. ;)
yes, not surprised. I think 3 of those 5 were the finals we won in 2020 when we turned clearances around enormously at seasons end, especially centre clearances which we dominated in the last 3 weeks of the finals

We rarely won clearances in 2017-19

Reactions: 1 user

this isn't really the point though.

with nankervis and soldo in the side, we

1) degrade oppo clearances ALL quarter which gives us better turnover opportunities, particularly in red time

2) we get flexibility to push one of them down back to fill the hole, allowing vlastuin, grimes and balta to run off, enhancing rebound no end

3) one of them can play bail out on the wing if our wingers are pushed back too far into defence and we scramble it out. we missed this option last year. oppo got several repeat entries against us.

4) we win more clearances! soldo is becoming an excellent tap ruckman to the likes of Prestia and Edwards

I'd be very surprised if a fully fit Nank and Soldo combo isn't rolled out at every opportunity.

Reactions: 13 users
I don't think Gawn and Jackson would lose much sleep over taking them both on, which isn't to say they wouldn't give a good account of themselves, but I think both sides would back themselves. I see Nankervis and Soldo together making us more competitive in the ruck contests, not around the ground.

Gawn or Jackson would be much more uncomfortable drifting forward with Balta's ability to intercept mark on them and they would be really uncomfortable if he took them forward, you couldn't say the same for either Nankervis or Soldo.

And Lever would be delighted to see Nankervis or Soldo as the third tall forward, he will go to them and just hit the contest all day because the risk of them marking the footy is minimal.
Lever would *smile* himself if he had to play on Nank.

• Love
We need L2R2R to really dig into that to explore the scores from clearance, turnovers to get a really good picture of what happens when both play, but on face value there's nothing to say we are any better in the clearance space with both.

In games where both played since 2017, the team has a losing clearance record of 10-3-1.

I think there's pros and cons with some of the other points you make but the biggest issue for me remains that neither of them is a capable forward. Nankervis is almost but they both lack danger in this space which you need if you are to play two rucks.
TBR you need to stop comparing back to 2017. The game has changed considerably since then.

As I have heard many times we don’t necessarily value clearances as highly as post clearance possessions - which are turnovers when we don’t win first possession.
That is correct. However teams have worked that strategy out and we don’t get the turnovers we used to. The Melbourne game was a classic. They deliberately hand balled around our stand off pressure and smashed us. 226 handballs to 158 in that game. And then you saw that being copied by others during the year. New rules didn’t help our regular strategy either.

So we got a choice. We either find a way to re tune that stand off/intercept/turnover call it what you will strategy, or we start winning more clearances.

I don't think not winning clearances is the issue. It's letting the opposition win too many clean clearances. We've always set up to win games on turnover (as most sides do), but you can't turn the ball over if the oppo's forwards are getting perfect delivery all day long.
Was pretty much our one wood until last year. Always forced the oppo into dirty clearances n scrambled big time on the rebound.

We've definitely tinkered with some different gears of game style over the past couple of years with mixed results so it will be interesting to see where we settle.

Ultimately though I think appetite for the contest trumps most game style changes. If you're hungry and committed to it enough, just about any style is effective.
Well, as an extension of that, not only were we last for clearances but we were 17th for both contested possessions and contested marks as well. 13th for tackles.

Did we really have that appetite for the contest last year ? Not from what I saw nor from what the numbers tell you.

Reactions: 6 users
Well, as an extension of that, not only were we last for clearances but we were 17th for both contested possessions and contested marks as well. 13th for tackles.

Did we really have that appetite for the contest last year ? Not from what I saw nor from what the numbers tell you.
Definitely loss of appetite but also our midfield was literally non existent last year. I could count on one hand the amount of times Martin, Prestia, Edwards, Lambert, Cotchin, Nankervis etc played together in the same game. The engine room was running on one piston.

• Sad
Definitely loss of appetite but also our midfield was literally non existent last year. I could count on one hand the amount of times Martin, Prestia, Edwards, Lambert, Cotchin, Nankervis etc played together in the same game. The engine room was running on one piston.
The backline was the same at times as well.

• Sad
Spot on, in that 2020 finals series we were one too many down back and had to use Astbury in the ruck, and then adjust at half time in the Grand Final with Balta into the ruck and forward and that was with Vlastuin down.

Last year we had steady injuries that prevented it being an issue.

I think our best footy has been with an effective third forward, the issue has been our third forward hasn't been effective enough. With this set up I think Lynch and Balta will be seeded one and two by the opposition defence which will leave Riewoldt with the third defender which should be a huge plus for us with his footy smarts.
in 17 &18 we had Astbury, Rance, Grimes, Broad and Vlastuin down back and we were really hard to score against, with Houli and BEllis, the Houli and Short running.
we then went smaller in 2019. In 2020 we went back to taller line up with Balta replacing Rance. Last year we never had a our 1st choice defenders all available to see.

In 2020 we used Astbury in the ruck, because the other option was playing Chol. It was only the GF where we went shorter, moving Balta permanently up the ground in the 2nd half.

In both 2019 and 2020 we used Nank and Soldo together in the few games they were both fit. I didn't like the idea, but it worked- we barely lost when they both played, including through the '19 finals.

On Jack, i think sometimes he would prefer the 2nd tall defending him, rather than the "3rd".
There are a few "3rd tall" defenders around who are big and strong enough to match him, but a lot quicker, so they can catch him on the lead, then run off him. where as some "2nd talls" dont have the smarts to stay with him, or the speed to make up the ground.
He would rather Tarrant on him than Grimes (or Broad) for example i reckon.

i guess we will just have to wait and see.

We've definitely tinkered with some different gears of game style over the past couple of years with mixed results so it will be interesting to see where we settle.

Ultimately though I think appetite for the contest trumps most game style changes. If you're hungry and committed to it enough, just about any style is effective.
Glad you brought this up mate. As an insider to this sort of thing, do you think we looked tired last year? Certainly how it looked. Does a prolonged series of finals campaigns take its toll, or is it more teams “working us out”, hence looking like we’re constantly chasing tail so to speak?

I think you always look tired and slow when you are chasing tail and losing. When you are privvy to GPS data it is always interesting to see comments after a game about how a player or a side is going and see that the data hasn't changed, it's just the perception because of the game result.

Having several deep seasons in a row definitely has an impact though. You're giving a big chunk of sides a lot of ground each pre-season and the advantages of that are huge. Rehab and injury management, generally refreshing the mind and body, having time to implement game style work over the summer, and at what stage of the season you can hit your peak are all big factors.

For example if we are playing Carlton round 1 and we won the flag and they missed the 8, they are likely 4-6 weeks ahead in preparation. There's factors that blur that like list age and training years but you've obviously got to dig deep to match their capacity which is a real physical and mental challenge. Then you might have to do that again 2 or 3 more times in the first 6 weeks until you start to find peak as well. That's a real slog. And then you have to do it again and again and again.

That's part of the reason I'm bullish about this season. I think our guys will feel incredibly refreshed, and they will be entering the season where they want to be, not trying to hold ground as much as they can while they chase down everyone else.
Great post! Much appreciated.

We don't have to displace anyone.

No-one is in the Top 4 ATM. Not Melbourne or anyone. Everyone is equal and starting from the same line.

If we play well enough and win enough games i.e. 16 we will finish top 4. Don't need to worry about anyone else.

Reactions: 10 users
Our biggest issue has been winning clearances. Soldo and Nank are the key to getting us back to being very competitive in that area.

I just can’t see both not playing. Others will get sacrificed before Soldo.

Traditionally, yes... rucks have traditionally helped with clearances. But that hasn't rung true in recent years.

Soldo and Nank are great. They'll both be an imposing physical presence all over the ground and in the air. But our clearance numbers have mostly been influenced by the health of Prestia, Edwards, Cotchin, Graham and Lambert.

E.g. In 2019 or 2020, we had these midfielders up and running just in time for the finals and our clearance numbers changed dramatically overnight.

Since 2017 (excluding only 2021 when we deviated from this idea in favour of more traditional ideas), we've exploited the emerging fact that rucks aren't the answer to winning matches via their influence on clearances. We've let other clubs waste resources on such traditional ideas that are no longer effective.

I've been keeping a mental note of it since watching Grigg in 2017. To my eye, I've rarely seen examples of the traditional ruck concept working as people imagine it.

What I mean is, try to count the number of times you see a ruckman tap the ball down into the arms of a waiting midfielder who then cleanly disposes the ball to someone else to setup a goal.

That's an intentional, undisturbed chain of possessions that leads to a goal resulting from a ruckman's purposeful hitout.

Sometimes you'll be waiting a few weeks for it to happen once.

Plus, most of the effective hitouts recorded are from random, scrappy actions in congestion that don't lead to anything. Commentary regularly praises a hitout while you're watching a player get dragged to the ground for another ball-up. That commentary/outcome mismatch has become a bit of comedy thing for me while I'm watching ruck contests.

The differentiating thing here is whether it's a controlled action by the ruckman or something that's been deemed effective in hindsight based on an outcome that was determined by the quality of the midfielder.

Happy to be proven wrong, and maybe the game is changing again this year, but in my mind the above has been true since 2017 and I haven't seen anything to contradict it.

What I mean is, try to count the number of times you see a ruckman tap the ball down into the arms of a waiting midfielder who then cleanly disposes the ball to someone else to setup a goal.

That's an intentional, undisturbed chain of possessions that leads to a goal resulting from a ruckman's purposeful hitout.
Happened quite a lot in the 2021 Grand Final from memory when Melbourne was on fire...