Todd Elton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Todd Elton

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Re: Welcome Todd Elton

Dud. Delist.

Do we call him Ben or John ?

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Baloo said:
Dud. Delist.

Do we call him Ben or John ?
Rocket Man.

If he teams well with The Itch, then Graham is GAAWWWWN! ;D

Tygrys

Tiger Superstar
Apr 25, 2004

So what is he? An undersized ruckman that they are going to try and convert to a key position player...or just simply an undersized ruckman?

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion

Quigley's assessment on BF:

Pick 29 - Fremantle

I rate Freo’s talent evaluation team highly and that is the reason I doubt this pick would happen but you never know. They were after Mitch Clark and Elton is as close to Clark are you are going to get in this draft. He is a KPF / ruck who has a world of athletic talent, good game skills, great highlights package but is a poor lead for the ball and has an inability to get any kind of consistency especially up forward. He is a top 10 selection on talent if a team can get him to play to his potential.

Todd Elton
DOB 29/4/93 Height 197 Wt 92

Elton had a poor year but is likely to go higher than his performances warrant because he is an intriguing mix of physical talent and game skills. At the moment though he has not really put it all together even playing against guys significantly smaller and less talented than himself. For a big tall with the athletic talents he has he does not influence the game consistently enough. With all that said though its easy to be enticed by his highlights package.

He moves very nicely for a big guy and can link up well going through the middle of the ground becoming another midfielder with the ball. He is a balanced kick and weights his passes well. He is a right footer and much stronger on his preferred but he is capable on his left foot. He extends well for marks and takes the ball where it is very difficult for others to reach but he does not do this often enough.

He is not a great leader in the forward line and tends not to lead to great spots. I like him more marking down back or in the middle of the ground. Overall I would rate him much more highly as a CHB prospect rather than a CHF. Behind the ball I think he can float into the contest more easily and then get off and present nicely as an option going through the middle of the ground. He can deliver into 50 from this position more easily as well. For someone who I rate as a pretty good field kick his kicking for goal is below par and this is another reason I would rate him more highly as KPD prospect.

He does a fair bit of rucking at junior level and he is solid in underage company. In the AFL he is undersized for a ruck but would be capable of competing against most second rucks who are really just key positions who are relieving the number 1 ruck.

I usually have concerns with underaged rucks converting to KPDers based mainly on substandard speed and agility but that is certainly not a concern with Elton. He did a great 2.93 in the 20m sprint and was in the top 25% of the agility test. His jumping was also great and he finished 3rd in the running vertical. Around the ground he usually looks good and seems to cover plenty of ground but he tested at just over 13 in the beep test which indicates that he has quite a bit of work to do there to compete as a CHB.

Elton does not handle physical players who he comes up against and that is going to be a problem he will need to overcome at the next level if he is going to be worth anything. He is a big framed guy who I would expect to have a powerful build when he is fully developed. Think Leigh Brown / Tom Hawkins in this regard so there is no reason why he shouldn’t be able to compete physically.

Overall he really suits the current KP/Ruck model currently in vogue and the lack of KP depth this year probably helps him go higher than his performances would warrant. He is potential over performance though and needs to work much harder at getting into games and actually contributing. At the moment he looks entirely too comfortable doing not much up forward.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

Some of quigley's comments could be made about Griff as well. Massively talented player who doesn't influence the game enough .

Lets hope the Development coaches earn their money over the next year or two .

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004

Interesting pick up. Didn't get to see much of him.

Not a first ruckman but could develop into a versatile genuine tall.
Probably a Josh Fraser type at this stage.

In time, if Elton succeeds up forward, could allow Vickery to move into the ruck.

Elton could even develop into an Emmett Dunne type defender, though those have generally gone out of the game nowadays.

TAC stats:
http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?player=Todd%20Elton&action=PSTATS&pID=192123220&client=1-3020-0-150804-14527853

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008

Welcome Todd, may you have a long and fruitful career at the RFC.

Seems like a good pick in terms of the various roles he can fulfill. Give him time at Coburg to develop.

Phar Ace

"PRE just banned my biggest fan!"
Jun 17, 2004
Queensland

I get the comment about playing down back if he has trouble leading to good spots a s a forward - no better way to learn than marking the best. The key issue will be if he wants to complete. Sounds like that might be an issue so far, but a round a great bunch of blokes that can change. Does he sound a little bit Gourdis to anyone else?

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

Phar Ace said:
I get the comment about playing down back if he has trouble leading to good spots a s a forward - no better way to learn than marking the best. The key issue will be if he wants to complete. Sounds like that might be an issue so far, but a round a great bunch of blokes that can change. Does he sound a little bit Gourdis to anyone else?

Will be ok, runs around like rabbit and loves the tackle
Good pick, considering they made it out they were after others!
2 vickerys are better then 1.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007

197 cm and 92 kg's.

Only 18. Might grow a bit taller.

Good to see he's in the 90's with weight. Not exactly a bean pole.

Should be easier bulking him up a bit more.

Barnzy

What about me?
Mar 6, 2009

Interesting he trained with Carlton who need KPP's especially forwards and they didn't pick him up at pick 22. Must've seen something they didn't like.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

Like this pick.

What does Carlton know of key forwards. We pick em better.