Tom Stewart | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tom Stewart

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
Apparently Tom Stewart is feeling terrible. Poor Tom.
Yep, the media really are pathetic sometimes. Some talking it down and saying it was out of character.
Never mind the victim who’s brain is probably still rattling around his head post game.
If the AFL are serious about this, he gets minimum 4.

Reactions: 4 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I think it was one of those ones that is so out of the ordinary that no-one really knew how to react.

There's obviously a lot of emotion in it right now, but I think it was really just a split second of Stewart losing focus and making a horrible mistake with horrible consequences.

I think the players non reaction was almost understanding that there's almost no malice in that, it's just a complete blank from the player involved.
How do you say no malice? He ran at Prestia and drives his shoulder into his head. He wasn’t decelerating for contact. It wasn’t at the same time that Dion punched the ball. It was full of malice and intent otherwise it would not have happened.

He should be getting 5 or 6. There is no such thing as out of character. Actions speak louder than words.

Reactions: 8 users

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
The sycophant media defense has begun....

Poor tom..... Feels terrible..... Not his style....

Didn't stop them rubbing out marlion for a legitimate shepherd on the round he'd designed the jumper.

This should be 6 weeks, but I just know it won't be. Footy is cooked

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
How do you say no malice? He ran at Prestia and drives his shoulder into his head. He wasn’t decelerating for contact. It wasn’t at the same time that Dion punched the ball. It was full of malice and intent otherwise it would not have happened.

He should be getting 5 or 6. There is no such thing as out of character. Actions speak louder than words.

I don't think it's malice, brain fade isn't the term either, it's almost a zone out act for me. Like he's going through the motions of moving without thinking about it.

Doesn't make it any better of course, but I don't see it as like a king hit sort of act by any stretch.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Feb 25, 2007
Just on Tom Stewart, the media are saying could be up to 4 weeks. He kept going and lined him up. Prestia has disposed of the ball and he is actually looking at where the ball is going and Stewart could've pulled up but didn't. GONSKI

stewart2.jpg

Last edited:
  • Angry

tiger76

Tiger Superstar
Mar 26, 2014
Just on Tom Stewart, the media are saying could be up to 4 weeks.

View attachment 15787
With someone in Dimma’s presser mentioning 3 weeks.

The line between the media who need to stay on the right side of the AFL to retain access is so blurry it’s hard not to look at them as nothing more than state sponsored media.

Let the ‘He’s a good guy / it was a momentary laps of judgment / he runs a soup kitchen for West African refugees’ narrative begin.

It’s not like he’s a thug like Richmond players are.

• Angry
Reactions: 7 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I don't think it's malice, brain fade isn't the term either, it's almost a zone out act for me. Like he's going through the motions of moving without thinking about it.

Doesn't make it any better of course, but I don't see it as like a king hit sort of act by any stretch.
It’s not a king hit. Nobody says it is. It’s a deliberate malicious knock out. A low act, in no way accidental. He drives his shoulder through the head of a ball player.

You couldn’t mount a more pathetic defence of Stewart if you tried, you should be embarrassed

• Love
Reactions: 18 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
It’s not a king hit. Nobody says it is. It’s a deliberate malicious knock out. A low act, in no way accidental. He drives his shoulder through the head of a ball player.

You couldn’t mount a more pathetic defence of Stewart if you tried, you should be embarrassed
In my experience sycophants are rarely embarrassed.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Yeah, and if it were a Richmond player the numpty would be crucifying him say how undisciplined he was.
Spot on Tim.

"Tom Stewart: completely out of character and I can't believe he did it. No malice intended just bad luck".

"Richmond player: typical undisciplined act which cost the team badly; a prime example of why we give away so many frees; only ourselves to blame. He should apologise to his opponents and his team mates and play VFL next week."

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
There is no such thing as out of character.
THIS. Action is character.

He knocked a bloke out. Did he deliberately knock him out? Probably not. Did he deliberately hit him, resulting in Dion being knocked out? Absofuckinglutely. Six weeks. And he gets his head kicked in next time we play them, unless it's a final that's not the grand final. If it's the grand final, he doesn't get to remember it.

Richmond players didn't remonstrate because like everyone else they were watching the ball and didn't see it. That's how late it was.

Reactions: 15 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Richmond players didn't remonstrate because like everyone else they were watching the ball and didn't see it. That's how late it was.
Fair call. I was annoyed about the lack of remonstration but this is probably the reason.

Reactions: 1 user

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
THIS. Action is character.

He knocked a bloke out. Did he deliberately knock him out? Probably not. Did he deliberately hit him, resulting in Dion being knocked out? Absofuckinglutely. Six weeks. And he gets his head kicked in next time we play them, unless it's a final that's not the grand final. If it's the grand final, he doesn't get to remember it.

Perfect summation

Reactions: 3 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
And he gets his head kicked in next time we play them, unless it's a final that's not the grand final. If it's the grand final, he doesn't get to remember it.
Yeah if we play them in a GF we need some Alistair Lynch circa 2004 style retribution.

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Yep. Which makes me think it was definitely a plan to take out Dion.
Early first quarter Dion gets pushed over off the ball - gets up looking at Umpire and runs off looking at ump asking what about that? Was on Southern Stand wing- he was definitely going to be a focus for them

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Early first quarter Dion gets pushed over off the ball - gets up looking at Umpire and runs off looking at ump asking what about that? Was on Southern Stand wing- he was definitely going to be a focus for them
I have no doubt it was in their game plan to target him heavily at every opportunity. It may have not been explicitly communicated that he was to be taken out but the end result is the end result. Their plan worked and they won the game; just. They won by illegal methods but no one in the AFL will question it.

There is no way Geelong wins that game without Stewart knocking Prestia out.

• Angry

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
I have no doubt it was in their game plan to target him heavily at every opportunity. It may have not been explicitly communicated that he was to be taken out but the end result is the end result. Their plan worked and they won the game; just. They won by illegal methods but no one in the AFL will question it.

There is no way Geelong wins that game without Stewart knocking Prestia out.
Starting with the goal they got when we had 17 men for 8 minutes. Umps reported Stewart but didn’t stop the game

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Yeah if we play them in a GF we need some Alistair Lynch circa 2004 style retribution.
Except we hopefully land ours. Lynch was swinging like an impotent windmill. I'd be happy with a slam tackle from Nank or a Marlion shirtfront into next week.

Reactions: 1 user