Top 50 Draft prospects 2018 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Top 50 Draft prospects 2018

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Mr Brightside said:
How’s his marking Bully? I can see him spending a bit of time across half forward during his apprenticeship, that pace is a great asset with his size

Can take a contested mark but doesn't really have A grade leading patterns, needs to get a quarter or two of game time in the VFL playing on a flank. Probably only had cameos in the TAC, plenty of work to be done there. But I will say this, statistically RCD is one of the most efficient handballers in the TAC, it's in part why I used the Oliver comparison in the write up. Kicking less frequent but generally safe & measured, so rest assured his skills are clean. And then there's the contested work, 60% which as you guessed it, is up there with Oliver & Cripps. A nice little package we have on our hands.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
bullus_hit said:
Can take a contested mark but doesn't really have A grade leading patterns, needs to get a quarter or two of game time in the VFL playing on a flank. Probably only had cameos in the TAC, plenty of work to be done there. But I will say this, statistically RCD is one of the most efficient handballers in the TAC, it's in part why I used the Oliver comparison in the write up. Kicking less frequent but generally safe & measured, so rest assured his skills are clean. And then there's the contested work, 60% which as you guessed it, is up there with Oliver & Cripps. A nice little package we have on our hands.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
bullus_hit said:
Yeah, wouldn't surprise to see a total clean out next year & 3 spots opening up.

Just a couple of points, the first is that the rule changes also include ruck changes, Grigg cannot be our back-up from this point onwards. I know very few people see where I'm coming from here but I can see trouble on the horizon, especially with Chol dangling by a thread. Nank goes down & the elephant is in the room so to speak.

The second point re. complacency was actually more about our lack of cunning with live trading, the look on our guys faces when Bytel got picked suggested to me they were under prepared. I'm not trying to be a smart arse, just pointing out areas of improvement. Some really aggressive trading by many clubs to ensure they got their preferred players. I'm not so sure Richmond have fully grasped the concept, if they didn't go back for a debrief last night that would be disappointing. I get the fact it's new but I would be hoping for a better performance next year.
The fact they looked p!ssed off might suggest someone made the call that there is no need to trade as Bytel will make it to our pick & it was obviously the wrong call. If i am on the $ then there is certainly a lesson to learn & you are right about complacency. 1 thing Clark pointed out after the Draft was all the Players we picked up (bar RCD) are good runners/endurance, seems RCD was best available at our pick.
As for Rucks they must seem to think CCJ will be ready next yr, given he was rested for VFL games last yr etc with a view to '19 this would have to be the plan for it to all make sense. I do understand & agree on your points made i am just trying to understand the Clubs view point. It will all make sense in the end.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
bullus_hit said:
Cheers mate, the one thing I will say is that I haven't seen Ross play apart from the highlights, I know quite a few on here really rate him & I respect their judgement. So despite not getting my wish with a few of the others I'm still very hopeful we get a good player at 41.

As for Collier-Dawkins, really excited, just read on the RFC website that the club did it's due diligence with fitness so I'm even more pumped. Tall, powerful & great attitude. Will make our engine room look formidable if all goes to plan.
I have only seen highlights of Ross (like all our picks) but given he won the B&F from 12 games (1 he got injured in) in a midfield that had RCD & a heap of Players drafted from he could potentially be a steal that many others didn't consider that early in Draft. Has a built size to build from.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Jonesracing82 said:
The fact they looked p!ssed off might suggest someone made the call that there is no need to trade as Bytel will make it to our pick & it was obviously the wrong call. If i am on the $ then there is certainly a lesson to learn & you are right about complacency. 1 thing Clark pointed out after the Draft was all the Players we picked up (bar RCD) are good runners/endurance, seems RCD was best available at our pick.
As for Rucks they must seem to think CCJ will be ready next yr, given he was rested for VFL games last yr etc with a view to '19 this would have to be the plan for it to all make sense. I do understand & agree on your points made i am just trying to understand the Clubs view point. It will all make sense in the end.

Yeah, look it may all turn out for the best & Ross becomes a gun, these things can happen too. I suppose what irks me a lot is that West Coast plugged a gaping hole and they shouldn't have had that luxury being premiers, they're the hunted now & anything that hurts them is a win. Hopefully we get another shot at an athletic tall next year, or if Williams shows positive signs we can lure him back. Overall draft was good, RCD could be top 10 quality in 3 years & that would be incredible, 2 years running we get A graders. Meanwhile the Blues miss the bounty.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
bullus_hit said:
Yeah, look it may all turn out for the best & Ross becomes a gun, these things can happen too. I suppose what irks me a lot is that West Coast plugged a gaping hole and they shouldn't have had that luxury being premiers, they're the hunted now & anything that hurts them is a win. Hopefully we get another shot at an athletic tall next year, or if Williams shows positive signs we can lure him back. Overall draft was good, RCD could be top 10 quality in 3 years & that would be incredible, 2 years running we get A graders. Meanwhile the Blues miss the bounty.
Blues are a laughing stock, SOS had a World record hand to build the GWS list & 8 seasons in still no Flag. This is thier best ever chance to win multiple Flags & given thier now lack of depth they may have blown it. Carlton thinking he's going to right the ship with far less of a hand is pure Champagne comedy at it's finest.

On us we got the right types of players & as always there are no guarantees but it's up to the Footy Dept. now & they have done well for us in recent yrs.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Jonesracing82 said:
I have only seen highlights of Ross (like all our picks) but given he won the B&F from 12 games (1 he got injured in) in a midfield that had RCD & a heap of Players drafted from he could potentially be a steal that many others didn't consider that early in Draft. Has a built size to build from.

He could be & I'm not going to sit here and pretend I know a lot about him because I don't, plenty of people tell me he's good and that's hugely encouraging. I'll still be harping on a back-up ruck however, that problem needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

Jonesracing82 said:
Blues are a laughing stock, SOS had a World record hand to build the GWS list & 8 seasons in still no Flag. This is thier best ever chance to win multiple Flags & given thier now lack of depth they may have blown it. Carlton thinking he's going to right the ship with far less of a hand is pure Champagne comedy at it's finest.

On us we got the right types of players & as always there are no guarantees but it's up to the Footy Dept. now & they have done well for us in recent yrs.

If Stocker bombs, RCD excels & Carlton hand over a prized draft pick next year it will be one of the great moments in footballing folklore, almost as good as Treloar tearing up in front of 50,000 screaming Eagles supporters.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
A lot of people have perpetuated a thought that our recruiters looked pissed off after St Kilda picked Bytel.
I've watched the footage a couple of times and don't get that at all. No evidence what so ever that we were interested in Bytel. Ross may have been our target all along. Don't want people theorising that Ross was our second choice for the next 10 years without evidence. Does anyone know anything concrete?

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Dont Argue said:
A lot of people have perpetuated a thought that our recruiters looked p!ssed off after St Kilda picked Bytel.
I've watched the footage a couple of times and don't get that at all. No evidence what so ever that we were interested in Bytel. Ross may have been our target all along. Don't want people theorising that Ross was our second choice for the next 10 years without evidence. Does anyone know anything concrete?

No evidence apart from comments made during the telecast, that's what I'm going on, huge delay as well, think we took the full 5 minutes. I'm not a body language expert by the way.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Just back to Ross, can anyone shed some light as to why he didn't make the Vic Metro squad?

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
bullus_hit said:
Just back to Ross, can anyone shed some light as to why he didn't make the Vic Metro squad?

Apparently injury concerns the last couple of years have robbed him of 2 pre seasons according to Shifter.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Dont Argue said:
Apparently injury concerns the last couple of years have robbed him of 2 pre seasons according to Shifter.

Fair enough, that would explain the running concerns too.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
bullus_hit said:

Was shafted by Vic Metro. Should have been there was playing really well at TAC and APS. They opted to run a few bottom age kids and he missed out. First game after being cut from the squad he went head to head with Ned McHenry at APS. Different players but it was a cracking contest. Ned kicked what most thought was the sealer until Jack got on the end of a chain and dropped a 50m goal on the run about 1min later.
Trying to think who to compare Jack to. Maybe Tucky?? Industrious, hard at it, nothing fancy, but Jack has good skills

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
word is we wanted bytel.

Tried all night and morning to get up in the draft and couldnt

Cant win theme all

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
nikolasmia said:
word is we wanted bytel.

Tried all night and morning to get up in the draft and couldnt

Cant win theme all

At least they tried, but I would question what they dangled. Fremantle traded 34 & 41 for 30 & 59, not such a blockbuster deal on the surface. We needed a 1 spot upgrade for Bytel, needed to give up next year's second as a virtual giveaway. Sounds extreme but with MR junior we can always manipulate the points system down the track. The other option was to swap next year's first for Gold Coast's second, that sounds extreme but I would have done it for Williams.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Just looking at a few of the players between 30 & 40, there's a number reaches which could have netted us Bytel or Williams.

pick 30. Will Hammill - Adelaide went early because this was their final pick
pick 33. James Jordan - I reckon Melbourne would have cut a deal with our future second
pick 36. Tom Berry - another reach but Brisbane placed a premium on uniting the brothers
pick 38. Irving Mosquito - clearly Essendon trying to be clever & would have cut a deal
pick 39. Tom Joyce - not a reach but you simply assure them you're not taking Joyce

GWS gave up a future second to go from 28 to 24, that's the new realm we're in, if we rate a player then we should have the balls to cough up.

I can see why we were disappointed, it was a gamble that ultimately failed. In the end every single contingency needed to be factored in. The Essendon trade could have been done by swapping a second rounder for a third rounder, ditto Brisbane's pick 39.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Ghost of 29 said:
Was shafted by Vic Metro. Should have been there was playing really well at TAC and APS. They opted to run a few bottom age kids and he missed out. First game after being cut from the squad he went head to head with Ned McHenry at APS. Different players but it was a cracking contest. Ned kicked what most thought was the sealer until Jack got on the end of a chain and dropped a 50m goal on the run about 1min later.
Trying to think who to compare Jack to. Maybe Tucky?? Industrious, hard at it, nothing fancy, but Jack has good skills

How's his acceleration & general speed?

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
bullus_hit said:
How's his acceleration & general speed?

Speed always looked really good, really powerful kid. Ran a 2.96 20m at state combine. Good burst away from contests. Knock on his endurance but he played midfield each week so it couldn’t be that bad.

I’m biased but think this is a good pick and he will serve the club well. Definitely passes the “no dickheads” test. Good kid.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Lets be honest here and get rid of the elephant in the room - Our recruiters stuffed up and stuffed up badly

I said it prior to the draft that there were 2 teams that we should have targeted to trade with Gold coast or The bulldogs

Gold Coast had #24 & #29
Bulldogs had #27 & #38

The Bulldogs would have been the perfect trading partner and we should have offered up our 2019 1st rounder + #62 for the 2 picks the doggies held #27 & #38
Specially when there was no bid on west until #22/#23 the doggies had enough points to meet a later bid with their late picks +our #62 and They would have banked our 1st rounder for 2019 - I cant believe they wouldnt have jumped at that

We could have ended up with
#20 - RCD
#26 - Williams
#37 - Bytel
#43 - Ross
#58 - Turner

This would have meant that We drafted
1 x Rucman/Fwd in Williams
3 x Inside big bodied mid bulls
1 x Big outside elite runner thats the youngest player in the draft

Midfield & Rucks would have been set as well as foward depth

We missed a great opportunity