Top 50 Draft prospects 2018 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Top 50 Draft prospects 2018

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Ghost of 29 said:
Speed always looked really good, really powerful kid. Ran a 2.96 20m at state combine. Good burst away from contests. Knock on his endurance but he played midfield each week so it couldn’t be that bad.

I’m biased but think this is a good pick and he will serve the club well. Definitely passes the “no *smile*s” test. Good kid.

Sounds good Ghost, if we're confident we can lift RCD's endurance then the same should apply with Ross.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
turk-d-tiger said:
Lets be honest here and get rid of the elephant in the room - Our recruiters stuffed up and stuffed up badly

I said it prior to the draft that there were 2 teams that we should have targeted to trade with Gold coast or The bulldogs

Gold Coast had #24 & #29
Bulldogs had #27 & #38

The Bulldogs would have been the perfect trading partner and we should have offered up our 2019 1st rounder + #62 for the 2 picks the doggies held #27 & #38
Specially when there was no bid on west until #22/#23 the doggies had enough points to meet a later bid with their late picks +our #62 and They would have banked our 1st rounder for 2019 - I cant believe they wouldnt have jumped at that

We could have ended up with
#20 - RCD
#26 - Williams
#37 - Bytel
#43 - Ross
#58 - Turner

This would have meant that We drafted
1 x Rucman/Fwd in Williams
3 x Inside big bodied mid bulls
1 x Big outside elite runner thats the youngest player in the draft

Midfield & Rucks would have been set as well as foward depth

We missed a great opportunity

Bold play but I'm with you, given I rated Williams as a first rounder I would have done it, and then you get Bytel who is top 20 quality but might need a bit of time in rehab.

The other factor is we have currency in 2020 due to Rioli junior, can possibly buy back into 2019 with a couple more second round picks, presuming of course that he's on track for a first round selection.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
No way I give up a first rounder for a ruck/forward that had questions about his competiveness. In a draft that had the poorest ruck depth in ten years, Williams lasted till pick 35. That has to say something.

And I wouldn’t trade up for a midfielder with back fractures when Ross is sitting there.

We enter next years draft with a strong hand and options to trade two firsts (19 & 20) for a gun and still get MJR in 2020.

Prefer that.

DjJazzyPete

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 8, 2014
Nata , Botswana
turk-d-tiger said:
Lets be honest here and get rid of the elephant in the room - Our recruiters stuffed up and stuffed up badly

I said it prior to the draft that there were 2 teams that we should have targeted to trade with Gold coast or The bulldogs

Gold Coast had #24 & #29
Bulldogs had #27 & #38

The Bulldogs would have been the perfect trading partner and we should have offered up our 2019 1st rounder + #62 for the 2 picks the doggies held #27 & #38
Specially when there was no bid on west until #22/#23 the doggies had enough points to meet a later bid with their late picks +our #62 and They would have banked our 1st rounder for 2019 - I cant believe they wouldnt have jumped at that

#20 - RCD
#26 - Williams
#37 - Bytel
#43 - Ross
#58 - Turner

Maybe Bulldogs or GC didnt want to trade ? Who knows ? Think our recuriting was solid and looks like we have set ourselfs up for a big draft next year ..yeah would have been great to get Williams (maybe there counting on Moore to improve or see Balta as a key forward?) . Dont understand the Jake Aarts rookie selection at all. Chol has potential if he comes good it could solve our reief ruck problem .

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
SCOOP said:
No way I give up a first rounder for a ruck/forward that had questions about his competiveness. In a draft that had the poorest ruck depth in ten years, Williams lasted till pick 35. That has to say something.

And I wouldn’t trade up for a midfielder with back fractures when Ross is sitting there.

We enter next years draft with a strong hand and options to trade two firsts (19 & 20) for a gun and still get MJR in 2020.

Prefer that.

When was the last time a GUN got traded for 2 picks around 19 and 20 picks - you need a top 5-10 pick for a gun player if not 2 picks in that range
but i wouldnt mind 2 players that have massive upside with a very late 1st rounder

you also need to consider that we would get these 2 players a year early and would be ready to roll by 2020/2021

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
turk-d-tiger said:

Gold Coast had #24 & #29
Bulldogs had #27 & #38

#20 - RCD
#26 - Williams
#37 - Bytel
#43 - Ross
#58 - Turner

I maintain i doubt we were keen on Williams at all, Clark was interviewed twice that i heard (once on RFC pre Draft & once on KB's SEN show the day of the draft & on both occasions he was asked about talls & answered that we went tall last yr & thought as all the decent talls (meaning the ones we rated) would be well gone by our picks so we were going mids this yr. Feel free to check the interviews but what i got from it was even if Williams was there at our picks there is every chance we'd have overlooked him, especially as once we used our 1st pick i felt certain there'd be no trade & post RCD pick Clark had said when interviewed we were likely going for a running player at our next pick. Plus we had to keep picks for next yrs draft too, some Clubs will need to trade just to get back into the Draft next yr, which some are saying whilst the top end next yr isn't the same as this yr it is a bit deeper than this yrs, which given our rookie selections we clearly didn't rate the Draft at that stage.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
SCOOP said:

Prefer that.

Keep pointing this out Scoop but Williams isn't a first ruck, he's a forward who can pinch hit in the ruck. You keep knocking his competitiveness but he played a top game in the TAC grand final, he has ticker but like any forward he will have off days. As to why he dropped, who knows completely but his conversion stands as the one eye sore that would have put some suitors off. Champion Data rated him at 80 points for the entire season, that indicates workrate, now if his conversion was 65% instead of 40% he suddenly jumps to 100 points a game which is elite. Nobody in the entire TAC field took more contested marks, that includes Ben King & Noah Gown.

As for Bytel, he's a gun & you have to trust your medical team, Richmond gave him the all clear & was ready to call his name. I don't know a huge amount about Ross & I'm happy he's a Tiger but Turk's mooted trade includes Ross which should keep everyone happy (including yourself I would have thought). I trust our guys with these calls, it's why I'm happy we picked Collier-Dawkins because I have the utmost faith we can get his fitness levels up.

Next year we can still buy back into the draft because the 2020 first is presumably expendable, given we've just nailed two potential A graders with late teen picks I'm sure we'll extract maximum value next year.

But back on Williams, think you'll find it tough to find another player with the same athletic specs next year, it's a midfielders draft & we're good for mids now. Next challenge is to find a talented rebounding defender, something which is doable with a second rounder.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Jonesracing82 said:
I maintain i doubt we were keen on Williams at all, Clark was interviewed twice that i heard (once on RFC pre Draft & once on KB's SEN show the day of the draft & on both occasions he was asked about talls & answered that we went tall last yr & thought as all the decent talls (meaning the ones we rated) would be well gone by our picks so we were going mids this yr. Feel free to check the interviews but what i got from it was even if Williams was there at our picks there is every chance we'd have overlooked him, especially as once we used our 1st pick i felt certain there'd be no trade & post RCD pick Clark had said when interviewed we were likely going for a running player at our next pick. Plus we had to keep picks for next yrs draft too, some Clubs will need to trade just to get back into the Draft next yr, which some are saying whilst the top end next yr isn't the same as this yr it is a bit deeper than this yrs, which given our rookie selections we clearly didn't rate the Draft at that stage.

Clearly we didn't rate him but the reigning premiers did, so who's right in all this? Only time will tell but West Coast have turned around plenty of rough cut diamonds, Willie Rioli & Liam Ryan a perfect case study, Jack Darling another who was supposedly a bad apple. Definitely watch this space because I reckon Lycett leaving won't hurt them in the slightest.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
bullus_hit said:
Clearly we didn't rate him but the reigning premiers did, so who's right in all this? Only time will tell but West Coast have turned around plenty of rough cut diamonds, Willie Rioli & Liam Ryan a perfect case study, Jack Darling another who was supposedly a bad apple. Definitely watch this space because I reckon Lycett leaving won't hurt them in the slightest.

I get you like Williams Bully, but you also seem to be perpetuating the myth that we were definately about to call out Bytel's name. Is this based on the look on Francis Jacksons face because he always looks like he's swallowed a lemon!
Lots of assumptions floating around but we really have zero facts at all so may be under selling Ross completely.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
nikolasmia said:
word is we wanted bytel.

Tried all night and morning to get up in the draft and couldnt

Cant win theme all

Just going on this & of course the other comments during the draft.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
bullus_hit said:

At least if it does backfire the media won't be all over it, we already have an athletic tall that is a rubbish kick at goal named Moore ;)

It will all make sense in coming yrs, if we'd traded our 1st as someone suggested above then no RCD, unfortunately we can't have them all. OI back the Club in the have done very well recently with a strong hand next yr, others will need to trade back in & could be begging for our picks.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Jonesracing82 said:
At least if it does backfire the media won't be all over it, we already have an athletic tall that is a rubbish kick at goal named Moore ;)

It will all make sense in coming yrs, if we'd traded our 1st as someone suggested above then no RCD, unfortunately we can't have them all. OI back the Club in the have done very well recently with a strong hand next yr, others will need to trade back in & could be begging for our picks.

Future first, so it doesn't impact on RCD at all, Doggies didn't get much of a deal from Freo so you'd be pretty confident that it would get across the line.

As for Williams and his kicking, nothing wrong with his technique just went through a rough patch after the state carnival, prior to that he was nailing them from everywhere. My theory is that given he spent so much time in the ruck playing for Vic Country he lost his radar a bit, will bounce back I think.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
bullus_hit said:
Just going on this & of course the other comments during the draft.

So a combination of heresay, B.S and the science of body language!
I hope Ross kicks Bytel's ass and buries the myth

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Dont Argue said:
So a combination of heresay, B.S and the science of body language!
I hope Ross kicks Bytel's ass and buries the myth

Well at the end of the day the club won't say we picked the wrong bloke, in any case time to move on & I hope Ross kicks Bytel's arse too.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
I was opened to trading our 2019 1st or 2nd round to get more picks this year but before I can be down on the club for not achieving this I need to see what we actually do with the 2019 picks first.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
The Lurker said:
Please explain how we have 19 & 20 in 2019 Draft ? Or is this 2019 & 2020 first rounders ?

2020 packaged with 2019

SCOOP said:

Bytel has been cleared to start training by Saints, he has had a swollen disc which might require some treatment but isn't a long term injury. And I know you think Bytel is a bit of a plodder but he did finish second behind Sam Walsh in disposals last year, can also kick on both sides. First round quality for sure which is why Turk's trade is astute & addresses a couple of important list requirements.

And just on stress fractures, one player has lost his career, Matthew Egan, others like Shaun Higgins & Steve Johnson have been sidelined but have come back bigger & better. Even Jack Trengove made it back on an AFL list. You seem to be having it both ways to some degree, Caldwell is worth pick 4 but has had more injuries than the Fall Guy but Bytel is somehow too risky at pick 37.

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
bullus_hit said:
At least they tried, but I would question what they dangled. Fremantle traded 34 & 41 for 30 & 59, not such a blockbuster deal on the surface. We needed a 1 spot upgrade for Bytel, needed to give up next year's second as a virtual giveaway. Sounds extreme but with MR junior we can always manipulate the points system down the track. The other option was to swap next year's first for Gold Coast's second, that sounds extreme but I would have done it for Williams.
mate this I don't know

What I do know is is that we tried really really hard, for a long long time

You have to trust them

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
TigerPort said:
I was opened to trading our 2019 1st or 2nd round to get more picks this year but before I can be down on the club for not achieving this I need to see what we actually do with the 2019 picks first.

Of course but I would challenge anyone to come up with something better than a Williams/Bytel combo for what will be a late teens pick next year. Two for one deals almost always come out on top. West Coast lost Lycett but ended up getting two players back, including a like for like replacement, that's smart recruiting.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
nikolasmia said:
mate this I don't know

What I do know is is that we tried really really hard, for a long long time

You have to trust them

Cheers mate, Bytel is a gun so can't blame them.