Top 50 Draft prospects 2018 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Top 50 Draft prospects 2018

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
tigerdell said:

That even surprised me, thought he was slipping under the radar, but funny enough Sparrow goes one pick before. Really surprised about that, goes to show I value finishing skills over raw ball winning ability. Time will tell but would take O'Neill over Sparrow every time. I suppose if Sparrow proves me wrong I may have to recalibrate but I'm a stickler for kicking skills.

daniel30 said:
Bullus hit not only us passed on Lewis all other clubs to mot even a rookie must has some flaws.With Reid KP back were covered with Garth who is ready to go and Miller developing nicely to and maybe Balta.

Lewis such a hard luck story, don't get it to be honest. Maybe pace but I see Taylor Adams there. As for Kyle Reid, really disappointed, such a smart footballer & I haven't given up hope he eventually makes it. I look back at Jeremy McGovern and it's a similar scenario, some players just read the game better than others but don't fit the athletic profile. I want Reid down at Punt Road in the ressies, he needs to get moving & join a VFL club, hopefully then people will realise.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
X-ON at 28 seems high, but agree with you on kicking skills.

Regarding Lewis it might be speed and height, at 179cm. Maybe its similar to Miles, and clubs arent convinced he has the speed and alternatives to make it.
But reading his profile below, its the competitive side that stands out. Fingers crossed we get him next year.

Tom Lewis is a tackle and inside contested ball machine. He has a thirst for the contest and has shown he is an in and under combative player, with great strength and muscle, but an ability to tackle, apply pressure and hurt opponents inside. He is a proven leader having captained St Peters College First 18 in 2018, and his game style exudes leadership with how competitive he is in every game. His speed is an area to improve, but clubs would look past this for his hunger, drive and professionalism at every aspect of his game. A real diamond for a late pick and an “old school” footballer.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
tigerdell said:
X-ON at 28 seems high, but agree with you on kicking skills.

Regarding Lewis it might be speed and height, at 179cm. Maybe its similar to Miles, and clubs arent convinced he has the speed and alternatives to make it.
But reading his profile below, its the competitive side that stands out. Fingers crossed we get him next year.

Tom Lewis is a tackle and inside contested ball machine. He has a thirst for the contest and has shown he is an in and under combative player, with great strength and muscle, but an ability to tackle, apply pressure and hurt opponents inside. He is a proven leader having captained St Peters College First 18 in 2018, and his game style exudes leadership with how competitive he is in every game. His speed is an area to improve, but clubs would look past this for his hunger, drive and professionalism at every aspect of his game. A real diamond for a late pick and an “old school” footballer.

Sells him short too, a very accomplished handballer, can shoot out long range handballs to the runners. SA looks after their state league guys if they perform, if he wins a B&F in the seniors next year then I expect he'll be back in the frame.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Whilst i can understand the Townsend & Chol selections in the Rookie draft ....... Aarts ??? Why

Tom McKenzie should have been the player we rookie listed

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
turk-d-tiger said:
Whilst i can understand the Townsend & Chol selections in the Rookie draft ....... Aarts ??? Why

Tom McKenzie should have been the player we rookie listed

Tom went a few picks earlier so not possible, but Aarts a lazy pick. So many better options, even the myriad of state league guys, or Lewis, or Sampson. I think we went in with a very rigid outlook, not a lot of projection 2 years down the track.

And just on Williams, I know you're in my camp but West Coast just got one up on us, Lycett out & an immediate replacement. It should have been Chol out, Williams in, immediate upgrade. Some big complacency issues emerged from this draft, I hope we've learnt a lesson or two.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Overall this years draft was not only the most unwatchable sporting program I've ever seen, but looking at selections past 40 the draft was very shallow. 7 state leaguers . Cheer squad grandsons, dud father and sons, silivagni and brownless.
*im happy that we never got stooged into off loading future picks.
Overall we got beauty in Colly, not sure about the rest. It seems we were out to pick up kids that had no issue running our games and being able of finding the ball and most importantly they were very nice people.

Tails

Still Chasing Dreams
Mar 10, 2007
Sydney, Australia
zippadeee said:
Overall this years draft was not only the most unwatchable sporting program I've ever seen, but looking at selections past 40 the draft was very shallow. 7 state leaguers . Cheer squad grandsons, dud father and sons, silivagni and brownless.
*im happy that we never got stooged into off loading future picks.
Overall we got beauty in Colly, not sure about the rest. It seems we were out to pick up kids that had no issue running our games and being able of finding the ball and most importantly they were very nice people.
Don't agree about it being the most un-watchable, was at last years and that was diabolical. Was very surprised about the draft only getting to 78 given that last years much maligned draft went to 80. The Tiges clearly have a strong adherence to set of qualities that are non negotiable of which Character, speed & endurance are right up there. Midfield depth to combat our clearance deficiencies were clearly the goal this year.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
bullus_hit said:
Tom went a few picks earlier so not possible, but Aarts a lazy pick. So many better options, even the myriad of state league guys, or Lewis, or Sampson. I think we went in with a very rigid outlook, not a lot of projection 2 years down the track.
At least with Aarts he’s an unknown quantity. We know what Chol and Townsend bring and it wasn’t enough (hence being delisted). I think redrafting those 2 was lazy.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
bullus_hit said:

And just on Williams, I know you're in my camp but West Coast just got one up on us, Lycett out & an immediate replacement. It should have been Chol out, Williams in, immediate upgrade. Some big complacency issues emerged from this draft, I hope we've learnt a lesson or two.

You're questioning their professionalism Bully. If you really think our list management doesn't look at where the list will be in two years, and at players who are in years below the u18 level you're kidding yourself. I don't know if you ever went to the draft nights that used to be run many moons ago, but our club was doing that back then. To think they've regressed is folly.

I appreciate you have an opinion on the players we did and didn't take, but maybe Dimma said I need more run with the rules changes, so the focus has been on that. Maybe they plan on turning over Soldo next year for a free agent. We simply don't know, and to question their professionalism off that lack of knowledge is a bit much.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
tigertim said:
At least with Aarts he’s an unknown quantity. We know what Chol and Townsend bring and it wasn’t enough (hence being delisted). I think redrafting those 2 was lazy.

Yeah, wouldn't surprise to see a total clean out next year & 3 spots opening up.

The_General said:
You're questioning their professionalism Bully. If you really think our list management doesn't look at where the list will be in two years, and at players who are in years below the u18 level you're kidding yourself. I don't know if you ever went to the draft nights that used to be run many moons ago, but our club was doing that back then. To think they've regressed is folly.

I appreciate you have an opinion on the players we did and didn't take, but maybe Dimma said I need more run with the rules changes, so the focus has been on that. Maybe they plan on turning over Soldo next year for a free agent. We simply don't know, and to question their professionalism off that lack of knowledge is a bit much.

Just a couple of points, the first is that the rule changes also include ruck changes, Grigg cannot be our back-up from this point onwards. I know very few people see where I'm coming from here but I can see trouble on the horizon, especially with Chol dangling by a thread. Nank goes down & the elephant is in the room so to speak.

The second point re. complacency was actually more about our lack of cunning with live trading, the look on our guys faces when Bytel got picked suggested to me they were under prepared. I'm not trying to be a smart arse, just pointing out areas of improvement. Some really aggressive trading by many clubs to ensure they got their preferred players. I'm not so sure Richmond have fully grasped the concept, if they didn't go back for a debrief last night that would be disappointing. I get the fact it's new but I would be hoping for a better performance next year.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
At this stage it’s impossible for us to know how much we were attempting to move up in the draft, I’m sure people will hear what happened shortly, we may have been a duck on the water

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Mr Brightside said:
At this stage it’s impossible for us to know how much we were attempting to move up in the draft, I’m sure people will hear what happened shortly, we may have been a duck on the water

Freo nabbed Western Bulldogs pick to grab Valente, this was the pick I was hoping we'd muscle in on, never mind, hopefully Ross turns out to be better than Valente, Williams, Bytel etc.

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
Bully

Thank you very much for the work gone into this thread - massively interesting. My only problem is I read your opinions and don't know why the world isn't agreeing with you in every particular.

Made draft night/day enjoyable - I'd have your top 50 open, Twomey's and be looking at who was left (I also had time of course to check everything and get a cup of coffee between each pick) and prayed we didn't pick up a small forward (Hill).

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Brettstigers said:
Bully

Thank you very much for the work gone into this thread - massively interesting. My only problem is I read your opinions and don't know why the world isn't agreeing with you in every particular.

Made draft night/day enjoyable - I'd have your top 50 open, Twomey's and be looking at who was left (I also had time of course to check everything and get a cup of coffee between each pick) and prayed we didn't pick up a small forward (Hill).

Cheers mate, the one thing I will say is that I haven't seen Ross play apart from the highlights, I know quite a few on here really rate him & I respect their judgement. So despite not getting my wish with a few of the others I'm still very hopeful we get a good player at 41.

As for Collier-Dawkins, really excited, just read on the RFC website that the club did it's due diligence with fitness so I'm even more pumped. Tall, powerful & great attitude. Will make our engine room look formidable if all goes to plan.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
bullus_hit said:
Freo nabbed Western Bulldogs pick to grab Valente, this was the pick I was hoping we'd muscle in on, never mind, hopefully Ross turns out to be better than Valente, Williams, Bytel etc.

Freo gave up 34 and 41. Our next pick was 37 and then 60 something. What would you have given up?
(I dont disagree with your theory, but we didnt enter the draft with a great hand for trading.)

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
bullus_hit said:
Yeah, wouldn't surprise to see a total clean out next year & 3 spots opening up.

Just a couple of points, the first is that the rule changes also include ruck changes, Grigg cannot be our back-up from this point onwards. I know very few people see where I'm coming from here but I can see trouble on the horizon, especially with Chol dangling by a thread. Nank goes down & the elephant is in the room so to speak.

The second point re. complacency was actually more about our lack of cunning with live trading, the look on our guys faces when Bytel got picked suggested to me they were under prepared. I'm not trying to be a smart arse, just pointing out areas of improvement. Some really aggressive trading by many clubs to ensure they got their preferred players. I'm not so sure Richmond have fully grasped the concept, if they didn't go back for a debrief last night that would be disappointing. I get the fact it's new but I would be hoping for a better performance next year.

I guess iot all comes down to value, maybe they tried to trade up but weren't willing to give up as much as others and may have felt some decisions were quite close so didn't want to give up too much. Ie. they may have preferred Bytel and maybe they were disappointed he got so close to our pick but maybe their ranking had Ross pretty close. If they tried to trade up but they felt the asking price was too much of a premium between Bytel and Ross then you don't do it.

I understand your concerns on the ruck but there weren't many to draft and I still don't understand how if Nank went down that we would be relying on Williams. We just wouldn't, we'd be going down the Soldo or CCJ route IMO.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Brodders17 said:
Freo gave up 34 and 41. Our next pick was 37 and then 60 something. What would you have given up?
(I dont disagree with your theory, but we didnt enter the draft with a great hand for trading.)

37 & next year's second. Would have cut a deal pretty much the moment RCD was stitched up. Freo also got back 58, I would have said keep the change.

Would then look to buy back into 2019 with 2020 picks (depending on how Rioli Jnr was traveling)

If Doggies wanted the extra high pick in 2018 then every club from 25-35 would have been alerted, maybe a 3 way. See the advantage we had in this situation was we knew Williams wasn't going in the first round due to the invite system so could pick RCD & then launch a full scale assault. It was perfectly set up for a night of haggling & then time to hit the draft in the morning.

mrposhman said:
I guess iot all comes down to value, maybe they tried to trade up but weren't willing to give up as much as others and may have felt some decisions were quite close so didn't want to give up too much. Ie. they may have preferred Bytel and maybe they were disappointed he got so close to our pick but maybe their ranking had Ross pretty close. If they tried to trade up but they felt the asking price was too much of a premium between Bytel and Ross then you don't do it.

I understand your concerns on the ruck but there weren't many to draft and I still don't understand how if Nank went down that we would be relying on Williams. We just wouldn't, we'd be going down the Soldo or CCJ route IMO.

Certainly, it all comes down to where you rate that player, I had Williams at 11, Valente at 14 so from my perspective spending a second rounder was worth it, especially with Rioli becoming something of a points leveler next year. The club didn't share those views & I accept that, only time will tell if I had the right idea.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
bullus_hit said:
Cheers mate, the one thing I will say is that I haven't seen Ross play apart from the highlights, I know quite a few on here really rate him & I respect their judgement. So despite not getting my wish with a few of the others I'm still very hopeful we get a good player at 41.

As for Collier-Dawkins, really excited, just read on the RFC website that the club did it's due diligence with fitness so I'm even more pumped. Tall, powerful & great attitude. Will make our engine room look formidable if all goes to plan.
I have heard people say the RCD could be a surprise Round 1 selection. Do you agree?

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Smoking Aces said:
I have heard people say the RCD could be a surprise Round 1 selection. Do you agree?

Not at all, still needs to be developed skill wise & also needs to lift his endurance. I expect a similar time frame to Cripps, a hanful of games in the first year, maybe 10-15 in the second & 22 in the third.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
bullus_hit said:
Not at all, still needs to be developed skill wise & also needs to lift his endurance. I expect a similar time frame to Cripps, a hanful of games in the first year, maybe 10-15 in the second & 22 in the third.
How’s his marking Bully? I can see him spending a bit of time across half forward during his apprenticeship, that pace is a great asset with his size