Top 50 Draft prospects 2018 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Top 50 Draft prospects 2018

deedee

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 12, 2011
turk-d-tiger said:
Lets be honest here and get rid of the elephant in the room - Our recruiters stuffed up and stuffed up badly

I said it prior to the draft that there were 2 teams that we should have targeted to trade with Gold coast or The bulldogs

Gold Coast had #24 & #29
Bulldogs had #27 & #38

The Bulldogs would have been the perfect trading partner and we should have offered up our 2019 1st rounder + #62 for the 2 picks the doggies held #27 & #38
Specially when there was no bid on west until #22/#23 the doggies had enough points to meet a later bid with their late picks +our #62 and They would have banked our 1st rounder for 2019 - I cant believe they wouldnt have jumped at that

We could have ended up with
#20 - RCD
#26 - Williams
#37 - Bytel
#43 - Ross
#58 - Turner

This would have meant that We drafted
1 x Rucman/Fwd in Williams
3 x Inside big bodied mid bulls
1 x Big outside elite runner thats the youngest player in the draft

Midfield & Rucks would have been set as well as foward depth

We missed a great opportunity

They didn't do what you wanted, so they stuffed up, ok.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
bullus_hit said:
And just on stress fractures, one player has lost his career, Matthew Egan, others like Shaun Higgins & Steve Johnson have been sidelined but have come back bigger & better. Even Jack Trengove made it back on an AFL list. You seem to be having it both ways to some degree, Caldwell is worth pick 4 but has had more injuries than the Fall Guy but Bytel is somehow too risky at pick 37.

Lol, some random soft tissue injuries versus back fractures. Those guys you mentioned as successes had multiple preseasons under their belts and had shown top level talent already. Jack Trengove was a shady of the footballer he could've been after the injury. Aaron vandenBerg missed 18 months with stress fractures, Josh Bruce just missed the year with back fractures.. Drafting a player with that injury will reduce the load of what they can do in an already reduced first preseason. Makes it hard to have an impact in your first two years. Ask any AFL mid, the first three preseasons are the most important. With Bytel, you are risking a lot. And you wanted to trade picks to get him. And Ross had exposed form over a continued period in an elite TAC side. And you didn't need to give up picks to get him. Risk management 101.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
SCOOP said:
Lol, some random soft tissue injuries versus back fractures. Those guys you mentioned as successes had multiple preseasons under their belts and had shown top level talent already. Jack Trengove was a shady of the footballer he could've been after the injury. Aaron vandenBerg missed 18 months with stress fractures, Josh Bruce just missed the year with back fractures.. Drafting a player with that injury will reduce the load of what they can do in an already reduced first preseason. Makes it hard to have an impact in your first two years. Ask any AFL mid, the first three preseasons are the most important. With Bytel, you are risking a lot. And you wanted to trade picks to get him. And Ross had exposed form over a continued period in an elite TAC side. And you didn't need to give up picks to get him. Risk management 101.

Bytel has had treatment at the AIS, first class care, the latest complication is a swollen disc which isn't a long term concern. He has already had a year out of footy, will join training with the regular boys but slightly modified.

But in all this tearing down of spending next year's first on Bytel/Williams, you were prepared to blow this year's first & next year's first on Caldwell, so basically Caldwell vs Collier-Dawkins, Bytel & Williams.

Risk management 000.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
turk-d-tiger said:
When was the last time a GUN got traded for 2 picks around 19 and 20 picks - you need a top 5-10 pick for a gun player if not 2 picks in that range
but i wouldnt mind 2 players that have massive upside with a very late 1st rounder

you also need to consider that we would get these 2 players a year early and would be ready to roll by 2020/2021

How would you feel about swapping our 1st and 2nd next year for Hopper from GWS? Isn't it easier to target players from the "all you can eat buffet" clubs like GWS and Gold Coast once you've got an established core and culture than developing unexposed kids? ( salary cap allowing )
I'm confident club explored all options re live trading/swaps and decided they had an alternate plan. The same club that recruited Prestia, Caddy and Lynch for virtually nothing

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Dont Argue said:
How would you feel about swapping our 1st and 2nd next year for Hopper from GWS? Isn't it easier to target players from the "all you can eat buffet" clubs like GWS and Gold Coast once you've got an established core and culture than developing unexposed kids? ( salary cap allowing )
I'm confident club explored all options re live trading/swaps and decided they had an alternate plan. The same club that recruited Prestia, Caddy and Lynch for virtually nothing

:clap

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Thanks for the effort you've put into all of this, BH.

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. I'm looking forward to tucking in over the next few years while we compare the fortunes of these players.

I'm hoping to get a sugar rush and not a bellyache.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Dont Argue said:

I'd love to go Peter Wright personally but no idea how we afford him salary cap wise.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Dont Argue said:

I can only answer this 1 way and that if i had the choice of coughing up next years 1st & 2nd picks for Hopper 'or' just next years 1st round pick for Williams/Bytel
Im taking the 2 for 1 deal for 2 reasons.
1. Bytel has the potential to be just as good if not better than Hopper (i rate hopper highly) or the equal
Bytel would have been top 10-15 pick this year in a strong draft if he played this year without injuries

2.Bailey Williams is both a desperate need both in the foward line post jack as well as a perfect option as a 2nd Ruck as far as list balance
He is 199cm and 96kgs already with elite pace and agility as well as a great leap - These are exactly what you need in a Ruck/Fwd

If my version of the trade was done and we ended up with
RCD , Bytel , Ross , Williams , Turner then we wouldnt have needed to rookie list Chol and could also have Lewis & Stack as Rookies

I would have said RFC have totally killed the draft and A+

But thats my opinion and only an opinion

deedee

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 12, 2011
bullus_hit said:
Almost ready to go here, I have some profiles lined up and will post them soon, up to pick 9 for the moment. The rest will go after Wednesday once the final medicals & athletic testing has been conducted. I look forward to some excellent discussion but If I could just ask one favour for now, and that is to keep this thread free of comments until all 50 profiles are posted. After that it's open for anyone to join the discussions.

Cheers BH

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
Great work BH, whilst I have a differing opinion on a couple, yours is probably the best write up I have read, you really should be paid for doing this.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
bullus_hit said:
Future first, so it doesn't impact on RCD at all, Doggies didn't get much of a deal from Freo so you'd be pretty confident that it would get across the line.

As for Williams and his kicking, nothing wrong with his technique just went through a rough patch after the state carnival, prior to that he was nailing them from everywhere. My theory is that given he spent so much time in the ruck playing for Vic Country he lost his radar a bit, will bounce back I think.
From what i hear we are after Hopper next yr which will require a 1st, could use a future 1st (to avoid using it on Rioli) & we also get to stay in next yrs Draft as well.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Jonesracing82 said:
From what i hear we are after Hopper next yr which will require a 1st, could use a future 1st (to avoid using it on Rioli) & we also get to stay in next yrs Draft as well.

Sure, not against Hopper but like you said, we have the 2020 pick to use as capital. Certainly wouldn't pay more.

Just feel that we were tempted to use the first rounder in trading up for Smith but didn't feel 2 players in the 20's & 30s justified the price. Fair enough I suppose, trading a first is a big call & it's generally unconventional to do what Turk suggested but I see it as a shrewd move which would be hard to top with a player in the 15-20 region next year. Time will tell I suppose, these are only just opinions.

But let's get positive, Collier-Dawkins has the potential to be a gun & I'm so glad he's a Richmond player because I feel we can get the best out of him. Just for more some info on the lad, his productivity steadily climbed over the course of the year to the point where he averaged 21 touches in TAC finals, more than Stocker (take that Blooze), his HE efficiency is also top of the class so don't be surprised if you think you're seeing an Oliver double. Once we get his running up to scratch the sky's the limit, couldn't be happier he fell into our laps.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
deedee said:
:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
Great work BH, whilst I have a differing opinion on a couple, yours is probably the best write up I have read, you really should be paid for doing this.

Thanks!

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
bullus_hit said:
Sure, not against Hopper but like you said, we have the 2020 pick to use as capital. Certainly wouldn't pay more.

Just feel that we were tempted to use the first rounder in trading up for Smith but didn't feel 2 players in the 20's & 30s justified the price. Fair enough I suppose, trading a first is a big call & it's generally unconventional to do what Turk suggested but I see it as a shrewd move which would be hard to top with a player in the 15-20 region next year. Time will tell I suppose, these are only just opinions.

But let's get positive, Collier-Dawkins has the potential to be a gun & I'm so glad he's a Richmond player because I feel we can get the best out of him. Just for more some info on the lad, his productivity steadily climbed over the course of the year to the point where he averaged 21 touches in TAC finals, more than Stocker (take that Blooze), his HE efficiency is also top of the class so don't be surprised if you think you're seeing an Oliver double. Once we get his running up to scratch the sky's the limit, couldn't be happier he fell into our laps.

Bullus would you have access to the Combine numbers for all our recruits - Would love to see what they are compared to others in the past

Still cant believe we have managed to get RCD

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
bullus_hit said:

I am glad that for the 1st time in yrs we have not traded out of the next Draft, some Clubs will need to do some serious trading just to get something half decent & we have a strong hand, for example that 3rd rounder from GC is basically an end of 2nd rd pick.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
turk-d-tiger said:
Bullus would you have access to the Combine numbers for all our recruits - Would love to see what they are compared to others in the past

Still cant believe we have managed to get RCD

Collier Dawkins 7 min for the 2km but was close to a 3 second flat 20m. Have word that he's gone under 3 seconds & that would seem right from the naked eye. Acceleration is a huge asset, this is the fundamental difference with Stocker who doesn't have the same ability to explode out of congestion.

Jack Ross very quick, 2.95sec/20m, doesn't have a great tank but hasn't had a preseason. Think we just need to give both the Oakleigh boys some time on the fitness front.

Fraser Turner, 2.97sec/20m, 21.4 yo-yo which is good. Not much to do here & looks a good shot to replace Grigg.

Luke English outstanding tank, 6.11sec 2km, but below average speed 3.10sec & poor agility, 8.92 sec. The main issue I see with English is that he's outside & not quick, hopefully he can pull off a Lambert type type career.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Jonesracing82 said:
I am glad that for the 1st time in yrs we have not traded out of the next Draft, some Clubs will need to do some serious trading just to get something half decent & we have a strong hand, for example that 3rd rounder from GC is basically an end of 2nd rd pick.

Yeah sure, there's arguments both ways & we won't know until the season kicks off. I guess from my perspective I felt the difficulty one faces in getting a tall like Williams justified the expense, especially when Bytel comes as the cherry.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
bullus_hit said:
Luke English outstanding tank, 6.11sec 2km, but below average speed 3.10sec & poor agility, 8.92 sec. The main issue I see with English is that he's outside & not quick, hopefully he can pull off a Lambert type type career.

Lambert is not a bad comparison. Like Lambert, I don't see English as purely outside. He can play inside or outside, as was evident against the all conquering SA team in the champs where he collected 6 clearances. I can only assume he was given a different role in that game to the final 2 games where he didn't record a clearance.