Trade period 2021 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade period 2021

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
We clearly must rate this draft highly. We are certainly doing the premiership window different to what Hawthorn, the Lions and Geelong did. Rebuild and contend all at once. Cross over of eras without a major or extended dip. Hopefully.
Hope we stick with the youth policy too. I know other posters wouldn;t mind a Mitchell type. I understand why, it does make sense in one way.

Think there's so much still to play out until Wed (is it Wed?).

- Melbourne will try trading up further for sure. Will they trade Melksham and a couple of others (not for much chop), but just reckon Melb want to get into the top 10 for mac andrew.

- Hawks fire sale is real.
- Dodoro likes being in the headlines.
- The ruck dominos
- What will the Blues do to split 25 ? They cant trade next year's 1st can they b/c they have traded this year and last - so which players are on the table.

I'm really interested to see if we leave it to draft night or deal out the 38+40 beforehand. We can open up the spots too.

Reactions: 1 user

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Oh... and the Cants. Do they trade a Menegola or another golden oldie?

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Our last 5 years at the draft

2016: Shai Bolton (29), Jack Graham (53), Ryan Garthwaite (72), Tyson Stengle (rookie)

2017: Jack Higgins (17), Callum Coleman-Jones (20), Noah Balta (25), Patrick Naish (34 father-son), Ben Miller (63), Liam Baker (rookie), Derek Eggmolesse-Smith (Cat B rookie)

2018: Riley Collier-Dawkins (20), Jack Ross (43), Fraser Turner (58), Luke English (62), Jake Aarts (rookie), Jacob Townsend (rookie), Mabior Chol (rookie), Sydney Stack (SSP), Mav Weller (SSP)

2019: Thomson Dow (21), Noah Cumberland (43), Will Martyn (44), Hugo Ralphsmith (46), Bigoa Nyuon (54), Marlion Pickett (mid-season)

2020: Samson Ryan (40), Maurice Rioli Jr (51 father-son), Mate Colina (Cat B rookie), Rhyan Mansell (SSP), Derek Eggmolesse-Smith (SSP), Matthew Parker (mid-season daft)

5 drafts and 10 flags if I’ve counted correctly
Be good to average 2 flags per draft from now on

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Could we insert ourselves into the Bobby Hill, Rory Lobb conversation?

say we give up 15 and 40 in return for pick 2 from GWS.

Essendon get our 15 and Hill, GWS get Essendon‘s 11 and Lobb

Freo get 40 for Lobb

Essendon, GWS and Freo can fiddle around with late picks to keep each other happy. We can even give Caddy to Essendon if they want him. Free to a good home.

everybody gets their man by shuffling picks around, FREO can’t possibly be unhappy with 40 for Lobb. Pick 40 to Freo unlocks the deal because GWS get him without giving up anything other than Hill and a shuffle back from pick 2.

Last edited:

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Who’s pays Lobbs contract of $700,000 a season?
What knob signed off on that contract at Freo?

Reactions: 1 users

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
The 'surname as first name' is what people from common stock attempt in the misguided belief it will make their offspring appear sophisticated. Such people will never truly be hyphenated, just boganated.
Norf about to become the hyphenated club (Davies-Uniacke, Coleman-Jones, & Horne-Francis)

Saladin

Better to fight for something than live for nothin
Oct 1, 2003
thinking that trading for future picks when at least some of the youngsters have had fullish seasons is not a bad strategy. At least there is some exposed consistent form line...

TheCan

Tiger Superstar
Jul 17, 2011
Could we insert ourselves into the Bobby Hill, Rory Lobb conversation?

say we give up 15 and 40 in return for pick 2 from GWS.

Essendon get our 15 and Hill, GWS get Essendon‘s 11 and Lobb

Freo get 40 for Lobb

Essendon, GWS and Freo can fiddle around with late picks to keep each other happy. We can even give Caddy to Essendon if they want him. Free to a good home.

everybody gets their man by shuffling picks around, FREO can’t possibly be unhappy with 40 for Lobb. Pick 40 to Freo unlocks the deal because GWS get him without giving up anything other than Hill and a shuffle back from pick 2.
For pick 2
We surely need to give up 15 and next years 1st this gets us callaghan… id do it in a heart beat take eramus at 7 two cracking mids into the rotation… but it aint happening

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Massive news
Lipinksi files heads to Collingwood for pick 43.
Who cares??
But this is the draft thread

Teckor

Tiger Rookie
Nov 7, 2007
Massive news
Lipinksi files heads to Collingwood for pick 43.
Who cares??
But this is the draft thread

I wonder if Collingwood are still interested in trading pick 27 to Richmond now.

With Lipinski now taking another spot on Collingwoods list and pick 43 gone they now have 6 picks that earn points - 27, 36, 43, 46, 48, 55, 58 = 2,215 points. Not enough if North bid at pick 1 but unlikely they will now. So Daicos will probably be bid at pick 2. Collingwood need 2,014 points.

Was trying to work out how they plan to go in to the draft with 6 picks and not just be left with junk picks at the end for 5 players.

Looks like they have 32 signed on primary list, 4 on rookie and 1 cat B. 5 unsigned on primary & 2 unsigned on rookie = 7 players. Likely they wont sign these players at this stage.

Can have between 36 - 38 on primary list with max 44 players over all lists. So they will go to the draft with 32 primary, 4 rookie, 1 Cat B. Have 6 primary spots open before the ND. Match for Daicos at pick 2 by combining their first 5 picks for the needed 2,014, then use pick 58 and one other pick. So take 3 in the ND.

Would leave between 1 and 3 spots (36 to 38 players on primary) for the PSD on primary & also fill the rookie spots. Probably use those picks to re-sign some of the unsigned players.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
I wonder if Collingwood are still interested in trading pick 27 to Richmond now.

With Lipinski now taking another spot on Collingwoods list and pick 43 gone they now have 6 picks that earn points - 27, 36, 43, 46, 48, 55, 58 = 2,215 points. Not enough if North bid at pick 1 but unlikely they will now. So Daicos will probably be bid at pick 2. Collingwood need 2,014 points.

Was trying to work out how they plan to go in to the draft with 6 picks and not just be left with junk picks at the end for 5 players.

Looks like they have 32 signed on primary list, 4 on rookie and 1 cat B. 5 unsigned on primary & 2 unsigned on rookie = 7 players. Likely they wont sign these players at this stage.

Can have between 36 - 38 on primary list with max 44 players over all lists. So they will go to the draft with 32 primary, 4 rookie, 1 Cat B. Have 6 primary spots open before the ND. Match for Daicos at pick 2 by combining their first 5 picks for the needed 2,014, then use pick 58 and one other pick. So take 3 in the ND.

Would leave between 1 and 3 spots (36 to 38 players) for the PSD & also fill the rookie spots. Probably use those picks to re-sign some of the unsigned players.

I dont know if Lipinski is a good player, havent seen him play much.

Pick 43 seems a cheap deal.

They still have to trade Lynch the ruckman so more points for them.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Double Massive news. who said 2021 trade period was pox?
Stengle has selected Geelong as his preferred club.
I hope Hocking has brushed up on his news conferences.
Now Stengle has chosen to go to them.

• Haha

Teckor

Tiger Rookie
Nov 7, 2007
I dont know if Lipinski is a good player, havent seen him play much.

Pick 43 seems a cheap deal.

They still have to trade Lynch the ruckman so more points for them.
The thing about trading out pick 43 is it leaves them with 6 picks with points and now that likely that North wont bid on Daicos they have enough points for pick 2 + still have 58 & 78 for the other 2 picks.

Do they still need cover for North bidding at 1 is the question now. Currently have 6 picks worth 2,215 but need 2,400 if bid at 1.

If they trade 27 for our 38 & 40 it would give them 7 picks worth points = 2,406 which is enough but they will be looking to trade another contracted player to make room. Or they may think they can combine picks for higher picks.

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Once Betts was there Stengel was sure to follow

Gazmatron

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2013
Doesn't fit the age profile