Trade period 2021 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade period 2021

The one bit I'm unsure of with the current listing rules, is the AFL brought in a new rule this year where you can move a contracted player from the main list to the rookie list directly after the draft, so if for example, we delist Garth and Egg, we would have 4 free spots on the main list and 1 on the rookie list. Can we then take 5 picks to the ND and either trade them or use them?

Does anyone know how that works, as lets say we drafted 5, we would leave the draft with an extra on the main list, but could then move 1 from the main to the rookie list after the draft and still have the right number on the list

On a separate matter, I just reckon Mitchell will be a ferocious competitor - wont die wondering. I posted this a few weeks ago, reckon he'll be a great coach. If he doesnt lose his players!

Hawthorn coach Sam Mitchell confirmed on Friday he has spoken to several rival clubs but not to “any sort of level that’s worth even talking to the players about it”,
Sounds like he is going to scorch the earth first. If he has learnt anything from Clarkson it will be to move all the senior players on quickly, start again with kids, fall to the bottom for a couple of years and launch.

He will lose the players in the short term if he can’t move anyone on this year.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like he is going to scorch the earth first. If he has learnt anything from Clarkson it will be to move all the senior players on quickly, start again with kids, fall to the bottom for a couple of years and launch.

He will lose the players in the short term if he can’t move anyone on this year.
Agree Tot.
Jordan Lewis on Fox said the same thing tonight. That to trade the senior guys make sense - but Mitchell making the calls will be hard for the players to stomach.

Article online: Lewis flagged concerns with the way the Hawks are going about this trade period, saying players can “stomach” a list manager making the calls.

Actually thinking about it, I reckon theres as much chance that we take only 3 picks as there is of us taking 5, and potentially we look to trade up to 3 really good picks.

@CalTwomey

Adelaide has made a huge play for North Melbourne's No.1 pick by offering three first-round picks for the prized selection, but the Roos knocked it back.

If there’s a club we should trade 38 and 40 to for a future 2022 (hope not …prefer to trade into this year and also move up again as a second action) … but if we did, it might be Hawthorn.

They tap out a bit after 24 this year, they want to regenerate their list quickly and sound like they like this year’s draft, and for us I reckon they’re guaranteed bottom 4 next year.

Oh, and death riding Hawthorn next year would be AWESOME !

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users
I'
Actually thinking about it, I reckon theres as much chance that we take only 3 picks as there is of us taking 5, and potentially we look to trade up to 3 really good picks.
I'm prob different Posh.
I'd rather choose 4-5 in the top 30 - I think we need a slightly higher quality of draftees to overtake the more recent batch of Martyn, Cumberland, Ross, Miller and Biggie. And that's hoping Dow and RCD deliver.

Reactions: 1 user
We only have 3 list spots open.

We have 6 picks still in 2021 and therefore I still see us trading up.

Out of contract are:
Main list - Cumberland, Biggie, Parker (reported to be getting a 1 year contract ext) and Garthwaite
Rookie - Egg, Miller, Stack

For mine, I expect new contracts for Cumberland, Biggie, Parker and Stack. Probably also for Miller. That leaves delistings left at Garthwaite and Egg, which frees up 4 spots on the main list and 1 on the rookie list.

This is why I think we will either trade both 38 and 40 into 2022 (hopefully as a 2nd) or if we have to, we will trade up individual picks in the ND.

View attachment 13829
Thanks Posh.
Of those uncontracted, imo Stack and then some distance to Miller are the most likely to stay, with Biggie and Cumberland next.
Parker maybe gets a contract too, but he is extremely lucky if thats the way it lands.

From this position (with 6 selections below 40 now available and all coming in at approx 35 or better, after f/s selections), I think we will prepare to draft at least 5 on draft night, with our future 1st also playing a role. So agree that we will certainly trade to improve our current selections..and that we will focus on the best available all the way through.

Depending on the use of our future 1st, 5 of Callaghan, Ward, Erasmus, Goater, Johnson, Sonsie, Bazzo, Kneviit, Alleer and Seldrick becomes a (mouth watering) possibility.

From your query I don't know the answer but as we can trade picks during the night it would be logical to expect that we can take in all selections allotted following our finish in 12th position.

Last edited:
It’s very important we trade up and out of 38 and 40.

Hear that we are in deep discussions with several clubs, with a preference to do it for 2021.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
We only have 3 list spots open.

We have 6 picks still in 2021 and therefore I still see us trading up.

Out of contract are:
Main list - Cumberland, Biggie, Parker (reported to be getting a 1 year contract ext) and Garthwaite
Rookie - Egg, Miller, Stack

For mine, I expect new contracts for Cumberland, Biggie, Parker and Stack. Probably also for Miller. That leaves delistings left at Garthwaite and Egg, which frees up 4 spots on the main list and 1 on the rookie list.

This is why I think we will either trade both 38 and 40 into 2022 (hopefully as a 2nd) or if we have to, we will trade up individual picks in the ND.

View attachment 13829
Parker will be on rookie list.

Is Aarts on the rookie list or on the main list? I think he is a rookie but I don’t know.

If he is, then we have Pickett, Aarts, Stack,Miller, Parker, Egg and Mansell on the rookie list, which is one too many. We have to either delist or promote one.

Also, if he is a rookie, then we have four places available. Delist one more and it will be five.

Collina is a Category B rookie and we have two spots available there if we want to use them. Do we have any Generation Next players who we are interested in?

It’s very important we trade up and out of 38 and 40.

Hear that we are in deep discussions with several clubs, with a preference to do it for 2021.
We clearly must rate this draft highly. We are certainly doing the premiership window different to what Hawthorn, the Lions and Geelong did. Rebuild and contend all at once. Cross over of eras without a major or extended dip. Hopefully.

Reactions: 12 users
I also don't like surnames as first names and vice versa. Make up your mind. Have a proper first name and then a proper surname. Don't mix and match.
Hmmm…so is Ridley your first or second name ?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I also don't like surnames as first names and vice versa. Make up your mind. Have a proper first name and then a proper surname. Don't mix and match.
I agree. You don’t have much choice with your surname. But if it’s also a first name, don’t give your kids surnames as first names. They’ll spend their lives confusing and correcting people. Poor Harris Andrews, for example.

Sam Mitchell’s first child is named Smith….!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users